Best cover versions of all time | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best cover versions of all time

BDW

Apr 15, 2023
Big debate between me and Mrs BDW regarding Handbags and Gladrags. I say Rod and the faces, Mrs BDW says Stereophonics.
Discuss.

JimC

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Sep 16, 2003
Málaga
The best:
Stranglers, Walk on by
Johnny Cash, Hurt
Sinead o connor, Nothing compares

Other ones I like:
Johnny Cash, One
Marilyn Mason, Tainted Love
Placebo, Running up that hill

Reactions: Greenbean
Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
For so many reasons, I think New Order's version of Ceremony, a song written with Ian Curtis just a few weeks before he died and performed a couple of times as Joy Division, should be considered as one of the best cover versions of all time.

And Radiohead's version, never released but performed as part of a live session (there's a video knocking around on YouTube somewhere), is pretty great too.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Just listened to the album 'Survival' by Grand Funk Railroad: they do a bloody good cover of the Stones' Gimme Shelter on that.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I

I'm suprised Quinny as generally they're quite awful.

I'm currently working my way through their catalogue (my music listening list: 8,755 different albums and a a total of 11,021 overall listened to since November 2010 :D ) Their first couple of albums aren't that bad IMO with the occasional good track - Survival was a bit hit and miss, everything from E Pluribus Funk onwards has been 'meh' at best. That being said I'm currently on Born to Die and it is pretty poor, TBH. But I've only a couple more studio albums of theirs to go. I listen to them so you don't have to ;)

Sep 3, 2009
Don’t Leave Me This Way - Communards
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals
It’s Too Late - Quartz
Going Back to My Roots - Richie Havens
Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O’Connor

Oct 5, 2022
Marc Almond has done plenty of cover versions notably "Jackie" by Scott Walker. Also did a passable cover of Gloria Jones "Tainted Love" when on Soft Cell.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
I'm currently working my way through their catalogue (my music listening list: 8,755 different albums and a a total of 11,021 overall listened to since November 2010 :D ) Their first couple of albums aren't that bad IMO with the occasional good track - Survival was a bit hit and miss, everything from E Pluribus Funk onwards has been 'meh' at best. That being said I'm currently on Born to Die and it is pretty poor, TBH. But I've only a couple more studio albums of theirs to go. I listen to them so you don't have to ;)
That's some going! 👍😀

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Soundgarden's cover of Spinal Tap's Big Bottom is worth a listen, if only for hearing Chris C belt out "talk about mudflaps my girls gottem..." in full Chris C mode.