Berry | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Berry

Aug 22, 2006
Yeah it's a no brainer. I was always baffled when some posters described him as someone who couldn't play football. Can't be bothered to pull them out now, but there was plenty of pasoti abuse.... very sad... But surely even in the dark days as some of us saw back then you could see some potential in him? Well done Durrell! Fantastic stuff!

Apr 1, 2009
Frank_Butcher":3j9p2cbe said:
Good defenders with Purse organising them, but definitely limited going forward. Two areas that we need to strengthen next season if we are to be an attacking force - we already have one replacement if we can keep him.

I think that's increddibly harsh on Berry. He's a novice who's learnt the defensive side of the job this season and has the athletisism to fulfil the attacking full back role as well. To expect him to be able to do both in his first season is unrealistic. Williams has exceeded expectation recently in defensive solidity, but in contrast to Berry is not capable of regularly overlapping going forwaard.

Oct 24, 2010
GreenSam":guzrq716 said:
Tugboat":guzrq716 said:
We have a very strong and capable core group of players at the club, mainly in the defence. With a few
'fine tweak' additions we could be comfortably mid table plus next season.
I actually reckon we're a mid table side now (league position hamstrung by our Pre-November form).

If we sign some quality attackers (a winger, an ACM and a striker say) then I really think we can go up. I've seen enough of this league to conclude that it really isn't anything special (imo).
I agree, keep the back four intact and add a bit of quality going forward and we could have a decent season.

Oct 24, 2010
xmastree":17ovdw46 said:
Frank_Butcher":17ovdw46 said:
Good defenders with Purse organising them, but definitely limited going forward. Two areas that we need to strengthen next season if we are to be an attacking force - we already have one replacement if we can keep him.

I think that's increddibly harsh on Berry. He's a novice who's learnt the defensive side of the job this season and has the athletisism to fulfil the attacking full back role as well. To expect him to be able to do both in his first season is unrealistic. Williams has exceeded expectation recently in defensive solidity, but in contrast to Berry is not capable of regularly overlapping going forwaard.
I think both Berry and Williams are good going forward. Berry has pace and flair and Williams is a good footballer with a great left foot. Hopefully next season they'll get forward more often.

Feb 23, 2008
I would say williams main strength is his set piece taking.

Really pleased for berry too, gets a warm reaction from the crowd when he does something, great bit of tracking back to prevent a goal today too.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I don't think berry was that good first half. He got roasted a couple times and all their attacks first half came down our right.

Much much better 2nd half.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
esmer":3ja5m5io said:
xmastree":3ja5m5io said:
Frank_Butcher":3ja5m5io said:

I think both Berry and Williams are good going forward. Berry has pace and flair and Williams is a good footballer with a great left foot. Hopefully next season they'll get forward more often.

I think you're all easily pleased given what we have had to endure over the last few years. :)

As I said in my original post, I applaud the improvement in their defensive performances - like others I think that Purse has made an incredible difference with his organisational skills (Player of the Year for that alone). However, next year will need to be different.

Fletcher, Purse and co have done a wonderful job in making us harder to beat and deserve enormous credit. The secret sauce to our survival has been defence - two banks of four - and Berry and Williams have slotted in and done an excellent job. The shape of that defence though means that neither full-back has the right to roam - and correctly so for this season. If we are to become an attacking force next year that has to change and whilst Berry does at least have the ability to get forward, I severely doubt the quality of his right-foot in those situations. Williams meanwhile just cannot get up and back and his constant hoofing up the line when in possession is simply not good enough.

That's my rationale - take nothing away from their improvement in defence this season, I just think we need to improve on those areas next season.

Then again, maybe Fletcher will persist with two banks of four and we play our way to promotion on the back of nailbiting 1-0's ....

Oct 24, 2010
Frank_Butcher":2c8oz0np said:
esmer":2c8oz0np said:
xmastree":2c8oz0np said:
Frank_Butcher":2c8oz0np said:

I think you're all easily pleased given what we have had to endure over the last few years. :)

As I said in my original post, I applaud the improvement in their defensive performances - like others I think that Purse has made an incredible difference with his organisational skills (Player of the Year for that alone). However, next year will need to be different.

Fletcher, Purse and co have done a wonderful job in making us harder to beat and deserve enormous credit. The secret sauce to our survival has been defence - two banks of four - and Berry and Williams have slotted in and done an excellent job. The shape of that defence though means that neither full-back has the right to roam - and correctly so for this season. If we are to become an attacking force next year that has to change and whilst Berry does at least have the ability to get forward, I severely doubt the quality of his right-foot in those situations. Williams meanwhile just cannot get up and back and his constant hoofing up the line when in possession is simply not good enough.

That's my rationale - take nothing away from their improvement in defence this season, I just think we need to improve on those areas next season.

Then again, maybe Fletcher will persist with two banks of four and we play our way to promotion on the back of nailbiting 1-0's ....
To "play our way to promotion" we need more quality in midfield and up front, which, hopefully, will be rectified in the summer. Fletcher has got it absolutely right for this season given the tools at his disposal.You're correct in that the way we play has limited the opportunities for Berry and Williams to get forward but for me they have shown in their rare sorties that they are both well capable in that department.

Feb 23, 2008
kingsy
Very highly rated by senior players at Argyle (purse , williams ) . I think the pure presence of having Bignot breathing down his neck has spuured him on to improve and also playing along side the likes of Max and purse has helped also .

A big future ahead of him remembering he is only 18