Arni's reception by the Green Army... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Arni's reception by the Green Army...

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
As I said, I'm not criticising Kari for wanting what was owed him.

But it is clear the vitality of the club didn't tug on his heartstrings enough to accept a deferred payment.

If you want to give him a standing ovation go ahead. I just couldn't bring myself to understand a standing ovation and hero's welcome for a player of less than 2 seasons who would happily risk the club folding to get his backpayment quicker.

Mar 23, 2008
Meh. Decent player but like x isle didn't warm to him. Struck me as someone who did just enough without really looking like busting a gut to hit any heights. Hardly a McLean but certainly a million miles from a Norris.

G

Greenskin

Quite a versatile,competent player,no problems with him for me.

Jul 29, 2010
GreenSam":38rxhhze said:
X Isle":38rxhhze said:
Never really warmed to him as a player, didn't endear himself to me with his actions in our darkest hour. If I was there I wouldn't boo but I think supportive chants or clapping would be a bit out of order given there are players at Home Park who chose a DIFFERENT more UNIFIED path last year. What message would applauding a splitter give to them?.
Come on Smiffy what would the man in your avatar say about a man wanting his wages after 7 months unpaid?

That's not even sarcastic, more of a genuine point about his workers rights.

He would've taken up arms long before, stormed the tunnel and slayed or 'converted' the players who were being paid obscene wages. Done early enough we'd still be in the championship with SEB, Mackie and BWP up front working for a minimum wage, their agents mysteriously 'disappeared' and their loyalty assured through a healthy dose of revolutionary zeal and love of Argyle.

I do appreciate his position, I would probably have done the same if it was any other company but Argyle. However if everyone had done that we would not have been able to field a team and would've folded.

I'm not saying he was wrong, I'm just observing that the morally courageous and unifying acts of many of the current Argyle squad in playing for nothing might seem diminished slightly by applauding someone who wasn't prepared to be united or morally courageous.

It's why I said I'd neither boo or applaud. He's vanilla to me, I save my applause for the heroes who stayed not the splitters who abandoned us. Don't miss his OG's either.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
You've got a point I suppose, if everyone had done that then we'd be probably be AFC Argyle preparing to play Taunton Town tomorrow. I still think he deserves some credit for going as long as he did to be fair though.

Good player too, bar a horrendous blip for about 3 months in the 2010/11 season.

Jul 6, 2011
ejh":1cmpnr79 said:
Liked him as a player, but he sticks out in my mind as one of the few who refused to have his wages deferred - is that right?

Is it correct that Kari made no personal sacrifice at all to saving the club?

He did sign an agreement just be James Brent saved the club. If he said no, we wouldn't have a club now, so let's remember that & be grateful

Jul 29, 2010
No, I say save rememberance for those who saw the battle through to the END, not those who deserted half way through ;-)

Simon Walton deserves more credit than Kari Arnason - and those who recall my feelings on him will know what a monumental statement THAT is.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I don't dislike Kari one bit less for walking out of the club. All I can say is he was a good player BUT: 1) he was still overrated, 2) I still think we fantasise about him too much, and 3) his throw-ins did me head in. To conclude, applaud him but beat him and his team later on!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I didn't rate him, I found him lazy at the best of times as he never really looked like he could be bothered, don't get me wrong I have no idea on whether or not he did put in the effort but by the looks of things his heart just wasn't in it.

I couldn't stand the long throw's either, I can't recall many looking dangerous, maybe there was the odd one or two over the course of that season caught a defence off guard but then again we could just as easily have used a short throw in and eventually one would make its way towards a player capable of crossing the ball from the throw.

As for the way in which he left, I don't think there is much I can add on that matter without hearing the full side of the story, was it a case of Kari being impatient? Or was it a case of him being promised a quick solution when in the end that didn't materialise until long after he had left us? There isn't much to say either scenario was the actual case so I cannot really comment.

I don't however feel he deserves a bad reception, what may have seemed like a parting on bad terms may in fact (as I said in the last paragraph) have been a failing on the club or at that time the administrator's part. We don't know the full picture however what we do know is that he kept going and kept playing for a long time without pay and without any certainty of his employers future, in the end it was always likely that with a team of players who held very little loyalties to Argyle one or two were bound to leave as there wasn't much actually keeping the players here other than promises made by Ridsdale of all people. I think its a case of those that stayed on deserved our thanks and appreciation however we can't really blame those that left simply because many of us on here couldn't honestly say we would have stuck with Argyle in such awful times, the only thing that kept us going as fans was love for the club if we were players and didn't share that love then what was there to keep us playing for the club?