Argyle TV/website/streaming discussion thread | Page 35 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle TV/website/streaming discussion thread

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Talking about video replays, the ifollow offering is terrible. Every small incident appears to warrant a video replay often missing live action. In fact on at least one occasion yesterday the replay over ran sufficient live action that another replay was required to keep up!

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Talking about video replays, the ifollow offering is terrible. Every small incident appears to warrant a video replay often missing live action. In fact on at least one occasion yesterday the replay over ran sufficient live action that another replay was required to keep up!
It was awful yesterday and in stark contrast to how good it generally is when Argyle supply the feed from Home Park.

Apr 17, 2013
I'm not completely sure which matches have video on Argyle TV. Will the MK Dons match be on video pass on Saturday? Thanks.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Talking about Argyle TV….

l think enough is enough with the Saturday tv blackout. It was a old rule for a time in life that suited the situation back then.

I hope the authorities get their heads knocked together and start realising the way people consume things in 2022 is totally different to 20 years ago. It’s time to allow fans to be able to watch their team home & away and support their club in a way that suits their life style. It’s stupid you can do it illegally and go via a VPN and not therefore have the same option as someone abroad. Years ago we had normal mon-Fri jobs over so many hours. Now the world works 7 days a week and we should be allowed access to follow our football clubs here in the U.K to fit around our working patterns.

Feb 8, 2005

l think enough is enough with the Saturday tv blackout. It was a old rule for a time in life that suited the situation back then.

I hope the authorities get their heads knocked together and start realising the way people consume things in 2022 is totally different to 20 years ago. It’s time to allow fans to be able to watch their team home & away and support their club in a way that suits their life style. It’s stupid you can do it illegally and go via a VPN and not therefore have the same option as someone abroad. Years ago we had normal mon-Fri jobs over so many hours. Now the world works 7 days a week and we should be allowed access to follow our football clubs here in the U.K to fit around our working patterns.
I'm not sure the Clubs would like to lose half their attendances if it was cheaper for the supporter to watch the game from afar.

Football is all about the money, it is all about the profit that they can make, and football is all about the haves and the have-nots, and it is because of all of these Clubs disapproval that we are not allowed to watch our team on tv at 3pm on a Saturday. The Clubs have the last say, through the FL of course.

However, if their profits from the tv were over and above the profits made at the ground, then there might just be some semblance of approval from the Clubs, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I agree with Jimsing (I think).
If the cost of watching live online on a Saturday was the same as going to the match, and the home team got the money, then I would agree that we should be able to watch live on t' 'net. While any club would lose out if the rule was removed, then I disagree.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I'm not sure the Clubs would like to lose half their attendances if it was cheaper for the supporter to watch the game from afar.

Football is all about the money, it is all about the profit that they can make, and football is all about the haves and the have-nots, and it is because of all of these Clubs disapproval that we are not allowed to watch our team on tv at 3pm on a Saturday. The Clubs have the last say, through the FL of course.

However, if their profits from the tv were over and above the profits made at the ground, then there might just be some semblance of approval from the Clubs, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

Im not.

But considering most of the people l know get around it using VPN’s to watch their team currently the argument clubs would lose money is unfortunately already happening as people in the U.K. are streaming their football club on Saturday at 3pm.

I rather see the EFL clubs make money than lose it as it currently stands.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I agree with Jimsing (I think).
If the cost of watching live online on a Saturday was the same as going to the match, and the home team got the money, then I would agree that we should be able to watch live on t' 'net. While any club would lose out if the rule was removed, then I disagree.

All l’d say is clubs are already losing money.

You have two choices

1. Foreign streams from abroad, using apps and the club gets no money. Someone showed me an app where you literally had access to every EFL club and their stream for any match.

2. Buying a Argyle season ticket for Argyle TV and switching your VPN to outside U.K. Effectively, the club (I imagine) already has got U.K. subscribers for this.

The reason l mention this is because Argyle have a vision for the club using a streaming platform. I’m not sure Argyle can maximise those revenue streams without a rule change.

The EFL clubs must be aware of how their fans consume content, especially a younger audience. It’s therefore just plain daft, l feel, to continue the 3pm blackout as it ties their hands behind their back.

Last edited:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The problem isn’t just the money that clubs could be earning by streaming their own matches but how much collectively they would lose if teams like Manchester United and Liverpool were readily available to watch at 3pm on Saturday.

May 8, 2011
The problem isn’t just the money that clubs could be earning by streaming their own matches but how much collectively they would lose if teams like Manchester United and Liverpool were readily available to watch at 3pm on Saturday.
If the 3pm curfew was lifted It would be likely that BT , Sky, Amazon or another would be allowed to bid to televise all matches in the PL, EFL at 3 meaning the end of Clubs streaming their own games and just receiving a % of the fee the TV companies paid.
What the effect on match day attendances and income would be the thing that the Clubs would have to weigh up if a vote ever took place.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Jan 6, 2004

It is not illegal to use a VPN

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester

I'm not sure how it's gone down with other clubs, but I'm fairly certain there's not been a steep drop in attendances when domestic streaming is allowed (midweeks and the Easter bank holiday) - certainly at Argyle we've seen little to no effect, just an extra platform for generating some further income.

Take the Easter bank holiday - the Wycombe game was available on Argyle TV yet we still sold out the away end. And at Home Park when the Sunderland game was on sky both ends were sold out.

Agreed with LC that there's a concern over how the elite commercial clubs in this country would run amok with hoovering every dime mind.