Argyle TV/website/streaming discussion thread | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle TV/website/streaming discussion thread

Mar 16, 2009
London
X Isle do you want matches to be free to attend too?

Argyle are not a publicly funded organisation, they're not an arts institution, they're a business. A business with community responsibilities, but also a business that almost went bankrupt a few years ago, and ceased to exist.

One way or another the digital content will be improved to ultimately grow the business.

In return for a more professionally run, growing business fans have an increased chance of seeing their club competing at a higher level.

Some would see that as a win-win.

Mar 14, 2009
Wilf Carters Boots":30c31ggo said:
X Isle":30c31ggo said:
PL2 3DQ":30c31ggo said:
Some videos are now on You Tube. It looks now to be a delay before the club videos are uploaded to You Tube whereas before it was almost instantly.

Hmm, here goes...

The cynic in me would predict that over time the delay will get bigger and the percentage of content shared will get smaller. Less will be free, more will be monetised.

It's not just media content for a football club, it's true of all things. Centralisation and monopoly rarely lead to increased choice and good deals for the consumer.

I read the blurb for this digital platform thing from the club and chuckled admiringly how they are using used the same marketing tactics that big business use. 'Its for the fans', 'all under one roof' 'one stop shop' etc etc. They want you to think they're doing it for us, that we are the beneficiaries of this centralisation. But think about it when things are all 'under one roof' you can dictate the door policy and admission fee.

Don't get me wrong it's a slicker and more professional Argyle these days and that's good, more money will be coming in for the team. But beware the future and be careful what you wish for. Argyle wants to be a sustainable Championship entity, with that will come the squeeze to get every single penny of the 'green pound' out of the Green Army.

Last time round in the league above the club just crossed their fingers and hoped folk would keep coming through the turnstiles, it got its fingers burned. Next time round they'll have your account details and access to anything and everything will be through their software, their platform and at their chosen price point.

All of the above might sound critical and cynical. In many respects though I totally applaud the approach. The vagaries of our fickle support base are legendary so grabbing folk by their conkers in the good times so you've got a good firm grip come the bad times is a smart move.

Just think about that :think:

How nice to get an X-Isle viewpoint again. It’s been too long. Not his viewpoint, that’s excellent. Just a long time since we’ve had the benefit and It’s always a good read. :scarf:

I’m alright with being squeezed for a few green pound more.

The reason is simply. This season l paid £310 (l think) for my season ticket with the discount. That is amazing value considering we are now in league one and thinking back to the days we were in league one pre Simon Hallett. I feel that P.R. exercise has started off this coming season on the right footing

This isn’t the most affluent of areas and so Argyle will have to be careful. Argyle fans, like most football fans, are fickle and if they don’t see a successful team they will hold back the money.

However, if Argyle TV is good and the content is decently produced (l imagine some hiccups along the way) then l will subscribe to it.

I think there is a core base of Argyle fans that will support the club financially if they feel they aren’t being taken advantage of.

If people want to see a competitive Argyle in this league and higher then l feel the club need to generate more money from higher season ticket prices but also helping to find and grow the existing fan base.

Mar 16, 2009
London
X Isle":y6qk5myz said:

Not at all.

You're prophesying the trend toward monetising content as something to fear, warning us 'to be careful what you wish for' and to 'beware the future'

If that future means a stable club that won't go out of business, because it is run more professionally, and also one that is competitive in a higher league, most would argue that would be a 'win win' rather than a future to 'beware' of.

Jul 29, 2010
Ah, the age old selective quote shuffle, the little dance that someone does to either intentionally or cack-handedly misrepresent what someone else has said. This isn't my first rodeo.

So what about 'chuckled admiringly', 'slicker and more professional Argyle being a good thing', 'totally applaud the approach' and 'smart move' then? Those words are in there too y'know... that's awkward :think:

To grasp the point being made clearly requires a bit more intellectual gymnastics than your clumsy forward roll, I'll simplify it for you...

Look at the bigger picture and see this whole 'single platform' for what it is, what it could become. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, far from it, just go into it with your eyes open.

Now tie up your plimsolls and take a good run up at that :thumbup:

Mar 16, 2009
London
X Isle":1l64fb5y said:
Ah, the age old selective quote shuffle, the little dance that someone does to either intentionally or cack-handedly misrepresent what someone else has said. This isn't my first rodeo.

So what about 'chuckled admiringly', 'slicker and more professional Argyle being a good thing', 'totally applaud the approach' and 'smart move' then? Those words are in there too y'know... that's awkward :think:

To grasp the point being made clearly requires a bit more intellectual gymnastics than your clumsy forward roll, I'll simplify it for you...

Look at the bigger picture and see this whole 'single platform' for what it is, what it could become. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, far from it, just go into it with your eyes open.

Now tie up your plimsolls and take a good run up at that :thumbup:

So what exactly are you saying?

There was a hell of a lot of words in your post so I'm sure there must be some point to it?

Obviously the quotes I took from it were selective .. that's precisely what quotes are!!

You can attempt to dress up your true feelings with a thin veneer of praise, but the sentiment of your post still cuts through loud and clear - you're cynical (as you admit) about Argyle's steps to become a more self-sustainable, professional club.

Jul 29, 2010
Oh come now, it's just not possible to be that obtuse accidentally :wave:

For the record though before I go, lots of words is a good thing. It's called articulation and it comes from the world before social media, where people cared about presentation and explanation. A world where folk were smart enough and respectful enough to each other to follow what other folk were saying without nodding off after 140 characters. A world where things were read as intelligently as they were written and thus misunderstandings and misrepresentations such as this didn't happen.

Mar 16, 2009
London
X Isle":5nj167to said:
Oh come now, it's just not possible to be that obtuse accidentally :wave:

For the record though before I go, lots of words is a good thing. It's called articulation and it comes from the world before social media, where people cared about presentation and explanation. A world where folk were smart enough and respectful enough to each other to follow what other folk were saying without nodding off after 140 characters. A world where things were read as intelligently as they were written and thus misunderstandings and misrepresentations such as this didn't happen.

A world you presumably weren't part of, if respect of others was one of its signature themes.

I get that you don't think people are as intelligent as you (your preachy warnings and superior sneeriness make that abundantly clear, you don't have to keep reminding us with unsubtle boasts).

What I don't get is how someone as self-appointedly intelligent is so inefficient with their use of words.

And so confused in the arduously lengthy points they're trying to make.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Get a room you two :roll:

Jan 27, 2012
The new PAFC.CO.UK site doesn't look particularly good on my desktop browser.

Maybe my monitor is too small, but the menu bar looks very cramped up and the front page is too cluttered. And when all the menus and links are displayed in large block capitals its harder to read.

Most sites also have some sort of banner at the top to say what they are- I don't think it says Plymouth Argyle anywhere.

Overall, I think it needs to be tidied up. I'm not that impressed. A good website is a clean and simple one.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
gaspargomez":1w26on7m said:

Maybe my monitor is too small, but the menu bar looks very cramped up and the front page is too cluttered.

Most sites also have some sort of banner at the top to say what they are- I don't think it says Plymouth Argyle anywhere.

Overall, I think it needs to be tidied up a bit.

Until you mentioned it I hadn't realised it doesn't say which site it is (Other than the footnote at the bottom of the page.)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":19qmp5ye said:

Maybe my monitor is too small, but the menu bar looks very cramped up and the front page is too cluttered. And when all the menus and links are displayed in large block capitals its harder to read.

Overall, I think it needs to be tidied up. I'm not that impressed. A good website is a clean and simple one.

Did you not recognise the club crest?

You forced me to have a closer look at a certain other club's website (which also re-launched this week) and in the same way, the identifying feature is just a club crest.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Anyone know if any of the pre-season friendlies will be shown on Argyle TV?

May 8, 2011
Justin":3nnvciz7 said:
X Isle do you want matches to be free to attend too?

Argyle are not a publicly funded organisation, they're not an arts institution, they're a business. A business with community responsibilities, but also a business that almost went bankrupt a few years ago, and ceased to exist.

One way or another the digital content will be improved to ultimately grow the business.

In return for a more professionally run, growing business fans have an increased chance of seeing their club competing at a higher level.

Some would see that as a win-win.

I think you are confusing being professional with being more commercial the two aren’t necessarily the same thing.