Are there now too many women covering men's sport | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Are there now too many women covering men's sport

Dec 30, 2011
In your view, when it comes to the TV and radio coverage of men's sport, are there now too many women presenting programmes, reporting on matches and/or acting as pundits, or maybe not enough ?
Should there primarily be men covering men's football, rugby etc and women only covering women's sport, alongside increased coverage of women's matches e.g. Radio 5 Extra could be a dedicated women's sport channel ?
What are your thoughts ?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: East End Green

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Okay - I’ll start… no, there are not too many women working in the media covering men’s sport.

I can‘t see any reason why primarily men should cover men’s sport and/or primarily women should cover women’s sport or why women’s sport might have a dedicated sports channel. Sport is sport, men and women are people - people play sport, people enjoy watching sport, people have opinions on sport, people analyse sport, people talk about sport. A woman can see exactly the same things, do exactly the same analysis and make exactly the same comments about sport as can a man whether it’s men, women or both playing the sport.

I am sure that a lot of men find it difficult to cope with the increase in women’s sport on TV and the appearance of women as presenters and pundits for coverage of men’s sports but that will mostly be because they are not used to it and don’t like change (and also, in many cases, because they feel challenged by the idea that the world is changing and their guaranteed position as controllers, gatekeepers, bosses, etc is under threat). I think it’s very hard for a man to really appreciate what it must be like to live in a world where almost everything is/has been geared up to the needs of men.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
In your view, when it comes to the TV and radio coverage of men's sport, are there now too many women presenting programmes, reporting on matches and/or acting as pundits, or maybe not enough ?
Should there primarily be men covering men's football, rugby etc and women only covering women's sport, alongside increased coverage of women's matches e.g. Radio 5 Extra could be a dedicated women's sport channel ?
What are your thoughts ?
Why is it even an issue!?
FWIW I think it’s about knowledge and communication and the women I’ve seen are excellent.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
No. Gender has zero impact on what I think of the opinions and style of those who play any role in sport and sports media. Indeed, I note that many women commentators are actually much better at analysing and explaining in simple language the nuances of sport to someone like me. I also believe that they have forced many of the old style “in my day” men commentators to up their game or get a job somewhere else.

I would also add that when I was reffing, the best Lino I was part of the officiating team with was a woman.

By the way my wife is a better driver than me, and much better at most DIY.

Just interested in what what caused you to ask this question? And what are your thoughts?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
No. Gender has zero impact on what I think of the opinions and style of those who play any role in sport and sports media. Indeed, I note that many women commentators are actually much better at analysing and explaining in simple language the nuances of sport to someone like me. I also believe that they have forced many of the old style “in my day” men commentators to up their game or get a job somewhere else.

I would also add that when I was reffing, the best Lino I was part of the officiating team with was a woman.

By the way my wife is a better driver than me, and much better at most DIY.

Just interested in what what caused you to ask this question? And what are your thoughts?
My missus gets hold of the power tools and won't let go!! Her favourite is the reciprocating saw with a demolition blade!

:)