Acceptance of mediocrity | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Acceptance of mediocrity

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We've averaged around a point* per game for the last four and a half seasons, that's relegation form in each and every season. That's not mediocre, that's rank poor, we are well overdue a bland and average season in mid-table where nothing much happens.

*Not including the 10 points deducted.

Mar 23, 2008
I would have been happy with mediocrity this season as it would have represented progress. Instead we have regressed badly, we can only strive for mediocrity.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
Iwould have been happy with mid table at the start of the season but this is clearly not going to happen as we have the worst team ever assembled in the green shirt managed by the worst manager in the history of the game and employed by the worst chairman in the history of the game. We are doomed.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Graham Evans":3827c1o9 said:
Iwould have been happy with mid table at the start of the season but this is clearly not going to happen as we have the worst team ever assembled in the green shirt managed by the worst manager in the history of the game and employed by the worst chairman in the history of the game. We are doomed.
Don't ruin it.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Graham Evans":2n4698s2 said:

I think there is a fair ration of hyperbole flying around in there. I need to only look at Bates, formerly of Chelsea, and now formerly of Leeds to compete for the latter accolade. As for the former, well I would need to trawl my record books before becoming sure on that one.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Mr Smith":3gr2alsg said:
John Petrie":3gr2alsg said:
Mr Smith":3gr2alsg said:
This time last year I dreamed of mediocrity. You can't just decide what the clubs been through shouldn't matter any more because you've had enough. I expect us to be between the bottom-mid of this league until the debts cleared.

Why?

The debt levels don't affect our playing budget. Our wage budget is capped at 55% of our turnover which, this season, has allowed us to have a budget more than double that of Exeter City, an average sized club at this level. Taking this into account, why does the debt matter?

Should the fact that the club has historical debt, like most clubs, mean that the size of our playing budget being twice that of other clubs should be ignored? Is the debt a psychological barrier to managers and players? I honestly don't understand the argument here.

I've not seen anything to say the club debt doesn't affect our playing budget, why wouldn't it?

Even if we do have a higher playing budget than exeter(link?), this doesn't instantly give us a better squad than a team that have just come down from league 1. They also haven't had to start from scratch. I'm not saying Fletcher hasn't made some duff signings, he has. But the scale of financial advantage were talking about here (if real) takes a few seasons to balance out.

It's not like we can just pay transfer fees and just get the actual players needed.

Good post i think Mr Smith. It's not just the playing budget that matters, but also the starting point. If you spend a lot of money on your house it could still be uninhabitable if it starts off as a tumble-down shell but the same amount (or even less) spent on a well maintained property could turn it into a palace.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Graham Evans":3oazll23 said:

Very harsh there Graham, on all parties mentioned I would say...

JB is far from the worst chairman in the history of the game, he has proposed a way forward for this club, a sustainable way forward for this club. A way forward to be proud of in the modern football world of over-spending, which in time will pay dividends for us not only in terms of removing the threat of administration but also when football is forced to changed and clubs are forced to maintain a strong financial position which will happen in the end, it is in fact begining already slowly but surely. There have been chairmen that have been involved in scams and scandals, would you really put JB in a league with them. Just look at Heaney's involvement with Truro, nobody had a clue what was really going on with Truro until Heaney was removed, would you really put JB in a league with that man?

Lets also not forget what Fletch did for us last season, having secured survival against all the odds he surely can't go down as one of the worst managers in history, ok so this season has been a bit of a let down for a lot of us and at this rate seems only to be getting worse but come on? There have been managers with worse track records, worse outbursts and worse management ability. We may be looking at the possibility of removing Fletch but please don't forget what a good job he did last year, he may not have done it for most of us this year but worst manager in history? Do me a favour...

As for the team well, if it is the team that takes us down then to be fair that would make them the worst in Argyle history as we have never had a team take us down to the Conference, I don't think I could answer that point if I'm honest, I'm not really the longest serving green around there are plenty of people on here that have been going to Argyle for longer than I have lived on this planet, although having said that it could be argued that last seasons team was worse, certainly at the start of the season when it was filled with odds and sods from around the league but I think it depends on how you're classifiying a team, was last seasons starting 11 the begining of the current team or are we looking at teams season-by-season?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Nobby":33ie4h1q said:
I'm accepting mediocrity for ONE season while we get back onto our feet and get the club running with some stability. I'm more than happy with mid-table this year, not because i'm accepting mediocrity but because i'm realistic.

Next year however, I expect us to be a lot higher.
I am not having a go at you anyone else in a personal sense but you all keep making this bland statement about mid-table, implying that we will achieve those lofty heights.

If only!

Can you not see what is under your nose, we are deep in relegation trouble.

We cannot win a game and we can barely score a goal.

We are unprofessional and ill-disciplined.

We don't score many goals but we concede very poor ones every week, you don't have to be very good or creative to score against us because we will help you.

We have a Manager and Coaching staff who do not have a clue about how to turn us into even a modestly successful side and the best they can do is blame bad luck!

They don't know which team or which formation to pick and they mystify and frustrate in equal measure with their selections and tactics.

We are staring at relegation from the Football League.

Mid-table...?

Aug 17, 2006
At Bradford last night we'd had a reasonably room for optimism second half performance even with Chadwick then we get Feeney on in the 90th minute. I could not believe it both player wise time wise & taking our most effective player off Macdonald. Utter madness. The lunatics are running the assylum that is Argyle.