A Night with Ollie | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A Night with Ollie

Aug 5, 2015
Sounds like most people have moved on apart from Ollieargyle. Most people want to see change and a future rather than hankering after the past. I know I’ll never see another Paul Mariner play for Argyle but that doesn’t stop me from cheering on whoever currently wears the no 9 shirt. I don’t look back and say he’s not as good as Paul Mariner or if only he was still young enough to play for us. I, like most others, have moved on. Time some others did.

Sep 19, 2015
Martyn":205hlizq said:
PlymouthCasual":205hlizq said:
I still cant believe that people refuse to see that Holloway had the rug swept from under his feet by StapleC***

The way Holloway went about his departure certainly left a sour taste in my mouth at the time, but the fire sale which proceeded after his departure justified his decision completely.

Times move on and I never once wanted Holloway to manage us after Adams departure, I would certainly wish him well in the future though.

Think somebody has been giving you ‘porkies’, he created the situation, the bloke left us for his own good. He followed the money,

As somebody mentioned earlier, he is a complete snake in the grass

A chat in a pub In Plymouth, not advertised in advance, sums it all up.

Lets just look at the facts and take away all opinions for one moment.

November 2007 - Argyle are 7th and Holloway asks for more funds to propel his play off push and tie down current key members of the squad.
Novemebr 2007 - Buszaky leaves for QPR on loan and refuses to re-sign for Argyle due to a dissagreement in Agent fees.
Novemeber 2007 - Holloway Leaves for Leicester
January 2008 - Gosling Sold to Everton 1.5m
January 2008 - Ebanks Blake sold to Wolves 1.5m
January 2008 - David Norris (Who holloway was asking to have his contract renewed) Leaves for Ipswich. 3m

Total 6m

All three absolutely key players to our future at that time. Who did we replace these key players with?

Jermaine Easter - 210k
Lucas Jutkiewicz - Loan
Yohann Folly - 750k

Now you tell me that Holloway never saw this coming and jumped ship before ship really hit the fan! What happened to that 5 or so million in transfer fees that we acquired? But Stapleton can walk the streets and nobody says a word. Cant get my head around it at all.

Apr 15, 2016
I had seen it advertised plenty of times on social media (you know, the modern platform for all advertising and marketing!).

The way he left did hurt yes, but it is clear from what followed that messers Stapleton and co shafted our club. Ollie could have gone about it a different way yes, but he is not to blame the way that certain individuals will make out.

If he asked for more money...so? He had interest from elsewhere, plus the performances and job he was doing at the time granted it (Argyle's best ever). Similar to the Norris situation it is evident that the board were so ass over mam into the stadium and land that the on field situation was second fiddle.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Norris said recently that he would have accepted less than what other clubs were offering to stay at Argyle but Argyle were not interested in rewarding him with a bigger contract.

May 16, 2016
By pure chance, I caught this being streamed live on Facebook. I watched it for a while, obviously it was going to be his version of events and how he was let down.

Interstingly, probably without realising it, he gave an insight into part of the problems by saying he told various Players and members of Staff that he would get them more money, I assumed by the way he told his story that this was before he might have spoken to the Board. Nett result being a miffed Board and an unsettled Player / Staff after being told he couldn't.

I can't remember much more as I got bored and went back to looking at clips of Cats arseing about and seeing what my Mate had for Tea in Tenerife.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Let's not forget it was paying silly wages to players that was the main reason that led to financial trouble, administration and almost having PAFC liquidated.

Most clubs that have have gone through administration at least enjoyed promotion or a spell in the Premier League, the best we could manage was 10th in the Championship.

Towards the end of Holloway's reign the directors must have realised they couldn't just keep increasing players' wages and even though they refused it was too late, the wages already being paid was killing the club.

It's all history now anyway.

Aug 4, 2011
ProfGreen":146f6jja said:
I had seen it advertised plenty of times on social media (you know, the modern platform for all advertising and marketing!).

The way he left did hurt yes, but it is clear from what followed that messers Stapleton and co shafted our club. Ollie could have gone about it a different way yes, but he is not to blame the way that certain individuals will make out.

If he asked for more money...so? He had interest from elsewhere, plus the performances and job he was doing at the time granted it (Argyle's best ever). Similar to the Norris situation it is evident that the board were so ass over mam into the stadium and land that the on field situation was second fiddle.

Spot on. Only one snake in the grass at that wasn't Holloway

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
PlymouthCasual":m2r69rwe said:
Martyn":m2r69rwe said:
PlymouthCasual":m2r69rwe said:
I still cant believe that people refuse to see that Holloway had the rug swept from under his feet by StapleC***

The way Holloway went about his departure certainly left a sour taste in my mouth at the time, but the fire sale which proceeded after his departure justified his decision completely.

Times move on and I never once wanted Holloway to manage us after Adams departure, I would certainly wish him well in the future though.

Think somebody has been giving you ‘porkies’, he created the situation, the bloke left us for his own good. He followed the money,

Lets just look at the facts and take away all opinions for one moment.

November 2007 - Argyle are 7th and Holloway asks for more funds to propel his play off push and tie down current key members of the squad.
Novemebr 2007 - Buszaky leaves for QPR on loan and refuses to re-sign for Argyle due to a dissagreement in Agent fees.
Novemeber 2007 - Holloway Leaves for Leicester
January 2008 - Gosling Sold to Everton 1.5m
January 2008 - Ebanks Blake sold to Wolves 1.5m
January 2008 - David Norris (Who holloway was asking to have his contract renewed) Leaves for Ipswich. 3m

Total 6m

All three absolutely key players to our future at that time. Who did we replace these key players with?

Jermaine Easter - 210k
Lucas Jutkiewicz - Loan
Yohann Folly - 750k

Now you tell me that Holloway never saw this coming and jumped ship before ship really hit the fan! What happened to that 5 or so million in transfer fees that we acquired? But Stapleton can walk the streets and nobody says a word. Cant get my head around it at all.

Think we paid £250k for Folly which was £250k too much. Our most expensive purchase was Maclean fof £500k.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Let me give you a scenario.

One person was paid silly money, he happened to be a relative of the Chairman.

This was done whilst the Chairman was away on holiday but was done by someone who is no longer with us, on the express wishes of that Chairman.

This was the very start of the problems.

Then the Japanese got involved, and it was swiftly downhill from then on.

Too late to go over all this, if Ed Wood hadn’t suddenly become ‘too busy’ his book could have given the full story, but alas that’ll never happen.

It’s a long string of disastrous decisions BUT I have no doubt about it that Holloway was the first of these occurrences.

I can even remember it started, it was at one of the Austrian summer camps, it was the one where we played Hapoel. I actually said something was badly up at the time.

From there it spiralled out of control.

Some of the board, no names mentioned, were taking significant amounts of money out of the club, for ‘services rendered’ and again is that right or wrong? All I know is that their eyes were firmly off the ball.

When you look at the state Bury are in, we were almost lucky in comparison!!

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Holloway tendered his resignation at Home Park on 21 November 2007, and was appointed new boss at Leicester the following day. Apparently, he more than doubled his salary and was promised funds to get Leicester promoted to the Premiership. This is what he was quoted as saying upon leaving Argyle which rather points to the opportunity at Leicester being the reason for leaving as opposed to the situation at Argyle and his relationship with the Board

Holloway said: "I have been a manager for 11 years and I've always been the bridesmaid and never the bride.

"I'm not one to turn down a challenge. To the people at Plymouth I'm so sorry. I didn't think my heart was in it once I heard Leicester were interested.

"I just felt that I couldn't turn this down. I can't wait to get started."

He added: "Plymouth fans are going to be hurt and feel betrayed but I've done the best job I can for Plymouth. I couldn't have done any more.

"My chairman knows how I was feeling over the last few months. He's a fantastic man and did all he can but no matter what I did and said, our gates were getting smaller and smaller.

"Our gates were going down to 11,000 and we were 7th, which was very disappointing. And some of the fans shocked me a few weeks ago by some of the things they said.

"I feel I'm in the right place for where I want to go. I am absolutely delighted to be Leicester City manager. It's the biggest decision of my life. I felt I had to take this opportunity."

Holloway said Argyle's success had put him in the shop window. He revealed that Plymouth chairman Paul Stapleton had informed him about Leicester's inquiry, but he was not given permission to talk to them so he decided to resign.
"I tried to tell him how I felt and he didn't want to listen. I resigned not knowing I got the job," said Holloway.

Aug 5, 2015
I think I know a snake in the grass when I see one

It doesn’t matter who said or did what. Everyone should move on. We have a new manager. We should be putting all our energy into supporting him and his team

Sep 19, 2015
To be honest Kentish Green, i'm not sure that anybody is suggesting that Ollie should be in charge at this present time or anytime in the future, more defending him as to the reasons why he left 12 years ago. Ryan Lowe is our man and he has my full backing.

Aug 5, 2015
I hope you’re right. But on the unrepresentative polls on here for instance Ollie was the runaway favourite to become next manager. So I think an awful lot of people don’t seem to have moved on really.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I felt at the time - and still do - that it was a tipping point in terms of the club's ambitions and reality biting.

I'm sure that many years ago 'The Pilgrim' used to have 'We will be the greatest' written alongside it. Of course that will never be the case because the critical mass of support and/or financial backing just doesn't exist in these parts. Holloway was on to something here - no doubt about that in my mind - and there came a point where he wanted to take it to the next level, but the club was unable to oblige.

Part of me thinks that was it, that was our moment - if there can ever be a right reason for entering administration it would have been to try but gallantly fail - trying to realise a dream.

The other part of me knows that no suitable philanthropist really existed, that there was a glass ceiling to Argyle's level of support, and that frankly it was all perhaps unsustainable. But I still feel disappointed that we didn't give it a go - rightly or wrongly.

As it was we abandonded that particular dream, and ended up in administration anyway chasing a more far-fetched one.

So, reality did bite. We are now in good hands it seems with realistic ambitions of becoming a sustainable Championship club. If we achieve that much, will the ambition once again end there?

Jul 29, 2010
Martyn":2hmcd2bg said:
PlymouthCasual":2hmcd2bg said:

"Good riddens"...

Sums you up :lol: