A bit o catching up to do | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A bit o catching up to do

Aug 26, 2011
Kentishgreen":7nukuspv said:
So if they’re in L2 and we are in L1 who has the catching up to do? Of course we can and must do better but let’s not pretend the grass is greener up the A38. And I’m not sure they can claim credit for David Wheeler.

This is exactly the point - the grass is greener from an academy point of view. They are light years ahead In terms of their academy and developing youngsters - I was not talking about the first team but from your previous comments it is clear every thing is just great

Our academy and it’s methods installed by KH is so old school it’s Victorian and nothing will change until there is a change at the top of the academy.

The fact the apprentices do 1 to 1.5 hrs a day of works around Home Park such as painting the toilets adds up to nearly 400 hours per season where they could be undertaking addition training strength and conditioning classroom sessions etc etc The goalkeeper released last season who was picked up by Cardiff doesn’t do any menial works In Cardiff’s Systen but lots of additional sessions and then we wonder why we are not developing players

KH puts a great deal in respect and the lads shaking his and coaches hands yet when one has left or they are not awarded contracts they are blanked. There were three lads who did not get apprenticeships yet trained for two months until the end of the season with the U16s. At the end of the their last training session there was no hand shake from KH or good luck wish for the future - they were ignored - no class

Loosing a progressive forward thinking coach who has studied sport science like Aaron Cusack was a disaster for the club

I have not commented on Harry because he is in a no win situation but it would be interesting to know why Souey left

Aug 26, 2011
HC Green":2jogsvx2 said:
football-bet-data":2jogsvx2 said:
8 out of 9 of Exeter's academy graduates were offered pro dev contracts at the end of this season too

Perhaps the standards expected by Paul Tisdale aren’t as high as Derek Adams? Just a different perspective on things.

They had six academy products in their last league fixture - 4 started and they made the playoffs - must be of a good enough standard for league 2

May 8, 2011
TynanWozGr8":4rgxeouo said:
HC Green":4rgxeouo said:
football-bet-data":4rgxeouo said:
8 out of 9 of Exeter's academy graduates were offered pro dev contracts at the end of this season too

Perhaps the standards expected by Paul Tisdale aren’t as high as Derek Adams? Just a different perspective on things.

They had six academy products in their last league fixture - 4 started and they made the playoffs - must be of a good enough standard for league 2

We had six academy products in our last league match, two started and 2 came on subs, must be good enough standard for league 1.

Aug 26, 2011
Fair point

But

Kalidi not an academy product

Squad was injury ravaged in a Match with not much to play for

When did we last sell an academy product for £1 million plus

May 8, 2011
TynanWozGr8":33qqu1j1 said:
Fair point

But

Not sure of the transfer fees but prior to administration we had a golden generation of youngsters coming through that we lost.
Just to name a few that we sold on, Joe Mason, Dan Gosling, Christian Walton, Jack Stephens, Lloyd Jones.

Administration didn’t just affect the first team, it put the Academy back years as well, we are just getting back to the stage where it is going to produce serious first team potential.

Perhaps just a coincidence and ironic that the first is an Exeter born youngster.

G

greengiant1886

TynanWozGr8":119dcrwr said:
Kentishgreen":119dcrwr said:
So if they’re in L2 and we are in L1 who has the catching up to do? Of course we can and must do better but let’s not pretend the grass is greener up the A38. And I’m not sure they can claim credit for David Wheeler.

This is exactly the point - the grass is greener from an academy point of view. They are light years ahead In terms of their academy and developing youngsters - I was not talking about the first team but from your previous comments it is clear every thing is just great

Our academy and it’s methods installed by KH is so old school it’s Victorian and nothing will change until there is a change at the top of the academy.

The fact the apprentices do 1 to 1.5 hrs a day of works around Home Park such as painting the toilets adds up to nearly 400 hours per season where they could be undertaking addition training strength and conditioning classroom sessions etc etc The goalkeeper released last season who was picked up by Cardiff doesn’t do any menial works In Cardiff’s Systen but lots of additional sessions and then we wonder why we are not developing players

KH puts a great deal in respect and the lads shaking his and coaches hands yet when one has left or they are not awarded contracts they are blanked. There were three lads who did not get apprenticeships yet trained for two months until the end of the season with the U16s. At the end of the their last training session there was no hand shake from KH or good luck wish for the future - they were ignored - no class

Loosing a progressive forward thinking coach who has studied sport science like Aaron Cusack was a disaster for the club

I have not commented on Harry because he is in a no win situation but it would be interesting to know why Souey left
Methinks you have a personal problem with KH.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
HC Green":2t5z5cde said:
TynanWozGr8":2t5z5cde said:
Fair point

But

Not sure of the transfer fees but prior to administration we had a golden generation of youngsters coming through that we lost.
Just to name a few that we sold on, Joe Mason, Dan Gosling, Christian Walton, Jack Stephens, Lloyd Jones.

Administration didn’t just affect the first team, it put the Academy back years as well, we are just getting back to the stage where it is going to produce serious first team potential.

Perhaps just a coincidence and ironic that the first is an Exeter born youngster.
Quite agree with all that, HC.
I would suggest that the subsequent progress of Mason, Gosling, Walton, Stephens and Jones would compare favourably with that of Nicholls, Watkins and Grimes even if we did not benefit financially to the same extent.
Exeter were very fortunate to have Ampadu but I believe that he would have excelled in any Academy.
Good luck to them on that one, though.
I find it amusing that the OP's pseudonym suggests that his idol was certainly not a product of our Academy. One of the Argyle greats, of course.

May 8, 2011
TynanWozGr8":wh9onqm2 said:
no One is talking about pre admin

It’s the current set up

I believe they are very similar, we will see over the next 3 to 5 years if I am right.

Aug 26, 2011
No not similar - the approach and coaching was much more technical under Dan Herring

Yes We will see and time will tell

The same issues are being raised a number of times, an axe to grind or just the truth........

Aug 5, 2015
I don’t think anyone disputes the fact that we could do better. But these things tend to be cyclical. We produced some very good players a few years ago as has been pointed out. Currently Exeter have produced a few. But there’s no guarantee they will continue do so.

This club is being gradually improved since rising from the ashes of administration. Better pitch, better training facilities, better grandstand, a reserve team next season. I expect the powers that be have their eyes on the youth structure and like everything else that too will be improved. Maybe not in the timescale some may want. Let’s wait and see

May 8, 2011
TynanWozGr8":ngnp2rf5 said:
No not similar - the approach and coaching was much more technical under Dan Herring

Yes We will see and time will tell

The same issues are being raised a number of times, an axe to grind or just the truth........

Usually by players, their friends and relatives when they get released.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Exeter City set up and very little about the Argyle set up, all I have to judge is the output from the Argyle system and this year I have seen a lot of 15, 16 and 17 year olds play plus with the likes of Sangster, Law and Cooper I am very encouraged for the future.

Aug 26, 2011
Can’t argue with that HC - but they have seen how the academy works and also other academies and how the other academies players developed and improved over the seasons

I said it since he left but Aaron Cusack is a massive loss to argyle. Watch his coaching videos on twitter and then pop along to ivybridge school on a Tuesday and Thursday night to watch argyle academy sessions and compare.

Feb 28, 2016
I, on a personal level have an extreme amount of empathy towards Harry Hodges. I’ve worked on the shop floor, for an organisation where my father was in management. It is a really tough gig, there is always that suspicion, your not there on merit, that your going to report everything back. Even when it doesn’t exist, your are self aware and paranoid that it does. One of my stand out players from the off in the year below was Sam Ryan, why Hodges has been deemed better, I don’t know and don’t understand. I hope management can look Sam in the eye when they next see him but that’s not the only position, I feel that so I actually don’t think it has much to do with nepotism. For example I don’t see how Matt Ward, is that much worse than Sangster, or how Crawford/Downing are that less deserving of offers as Rose/Bentley.

I don’t back the current lot, who happen to be there at any given moment either. I think we have missed the boat for the time. I highly sang the praises of; Luke Young, Riv Allen, Ben Steer, Jake Miller, Aaron Taylor all of whom I personally think looked better footballers than Cameron Sangster. (As far as midfield goes I hope we salvage something with Dan Rooney, who I rate higher than Sangster.) Find me a post where I have been supporting Sangster highly. I think it laughable to even include Lolos in the same category as; Harvey, (L) Rooney, Battle and Fletcher, again show me a post where I have supported him to the same lengths as those listed!