40th anniversary of FA Cup Semi Final | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

40th anniversary of FA Cup Semi Final

Apr 21, 2023
It was the last game my father saw.I was at the Baseball ground for the replay having come back from Japan!!

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I was there with my father and son. Unforgettable, especially the Hodges shot. Why are the gods always against Argyle?

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
Fair weather fans like me were at West Brom, Derby and Villa Park on that run, but didn't travel to many other places that season.
I also went shamelessly glory hunting as a 10 yr old to St Andrews and Maine Rd on the League Cup run.
Good memories - especially the Baseball ground.
Met Chris Harrison the other day too - a gentleman.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I was behind the goal, right in line the shot. I still wonder at the ‘limbs’ if that one had gone in! Behind the goal at Derby too for the win, and at WBA to see Tommy Tynan score. Great days.
You must have been stood near us..... I swear it was right in the bottom corner when he hit it but then agonisingly curled away.

I went with my Dad. Makes me well up now just thinking about it. He was a dyed in the wool Cockney and Arsenal fan and was always amused at me (born in Cornwall I hasten to add) supporting "bloody Plymuff".... but he always followed our results, and he got me the tickets and place on the coach. A much treasured memory ..... Thanks Dad!

Feb 8, 2005
You must have been stood near us..... I swear it was right in the bottom corner when he hit it but then agonisingly curled away.

I went with my Dad. Makes me well up now just thinking about it. He was a dyed in the wool Cockney and Arsenal fan and was always amused at me (born in Cornwall I hasten to add) supporting "bloody Plymuff".... but he always followed our results, and he got me the tickets and place on the coach. A much treasured memory ..... Thanks Dad!
Can confirm, that was my take on it as well. Went with my father, who didn't like football, and my Uncle, who had never been to watch a match before. Now that's what I call giving me and the club support!

Reactions: Mork
Oct 5, 2021
I was at the very first game in that cup run, Southend away. Anyone else do both the first and last games of that great run? ( I can’t say I went to all the ones in between, mind you…)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I did Southend but missed the Newport replay.

I DID see every game in the League Cup run though which I think was quite impressive. There was only about 80 of us at Burnley on that cold foggy night.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I did Southend but missed the Newport replay.

I DID see every game in the League Cup run though which I think was quite impressive. There was only about 80 of us at Burnley on that cold foggy night.
Looking back, that was probably the best effort by an Argyle team in any cup competition ever. Imho the overall quality of opponent was better than either the 1964-65 League Cup SF run or the 1983-84 FA Cup run. QPR were sixth when we played them and Burnley 3rd.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Looking back, that was probably the best effort by an Argyle team in any cup competition ever. Imho the overall quality of opponent was better than either the 1964-65 League Cup SF run or the 1983-84 FA Cup run. QPR were sixth when we played them and Burnley 3rd.

I second that, but add for the younger folk on here, in those days the top teams selected teams that were typically far closer to their first eleven and there was only one substitute on the bench.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Four of us booked a coach pick up at the Rodney in Saltash. One by one the Darley Fords passed us by, drivers waving as if we were the next one - until there were no more Darley Fords 😬. We phoned the local cabbie who duly took us all up there for £70 - and of course the freedom to have a can or two.

After the match came the dawning realisation we had no way of getting home and no money left. Decision made, we split into twos to give us the best chance - my mate and me figured the coach park was the best bet and managed to find two spare spaces. I duly fell asleep on the shoulder of the local Working Mens Club Chairman for the duration of the journey.

But what of the other two? No mobiles in those days and no answer from their landlines in the morning. Turns out that was because one of the Mums was en route to Birmingham to rescue her little soldier and his pal. They had actually had a fantastic night chaperoned by Villa fans who I suspect they still owe a few quid.

Great times on the road back then, even if the result wasn’t what we wanted.

Reactions: memory man

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
Four of us booked a coach pick up at the Rodney in Saltash. One by one the Darley Fords passed us by, drivers waving as if we were the next one - until there were no more Darley Fords 😬. We phoned the local cabbie who duly took us all up there for £70 - and of course the freedom to have a can or two.

After the match came the dawning realisation we had no way of getting home and no money left. Decision made, we split into twos to give us the best chance - my mate and me figured the coach park was the best bet and managed to find two spare spaces. I duly fell asleep on the shoulder of the local Working Mens Club Chairman for the duration of the journey.

But what of the other two? No mobiles in those days and no answer from their landlines in the morning. Turns out that was because one of the Mums was en route to Birmingham to rescue her little soldier and his pal. They had actually had a fantastic night chaperoned by Villa fans who I suspect they still owe a few quid.

Great times on the road back then, even if the result wasn’t what we wanted.
Haha. Great stories FB. That's all you Saltash lot deserved - feeding off scraps :)

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Mar 13, 2021
I remember working in Central Park at the time the semi final tickets went on sale, so decided to take a drive from Home Park down towards Pennycomequick entrance. People queuing 4 in a row going out of the Central Park ( how many miles is Argyle stadium to Penny)? Talking to some of those fans a good proportion of people from Cornwall were there. I really wish i had a video camera then to record the queues for visual posterity. I remember going along the path with the team training with Johnny Hore managing . The training area was just like any other piece of park turf with the big conifer trees behind and to the sides. P.S. Does anybody remember going to watch Argyle V Ipswich Town as part of the Paul Mariner transfer deal- Argyle 2 Ipswich 6, such a skillful team not to have won the top league..

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A mate of mine, bought a load of tickets and when he went home he found he has three times more than he paid for.

Over the week he flogged them all and we all knew him as Stan Flashman for a week or two. He made a few quid out of that, he was quite chuffed.

Anyways he was in our mini bus and when we got out at that end, he realised he lost his ticket. :ROFLMAO: We were in fits of laughter when we realised he had to go and find a REAL ticket tout.

Even funnier when he come back and told us all the Argyle tickets had gone, so he had to go in with the Watford fans. He still hasn't lived that one down. 👋

Reactions: Fulwoodgreen