4-4-2 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4-4-2

Aug 10, 2006
funny really because the few times during a game he has gone 442 he has stated that the team created more chances, strange.

Aug 10, 2006
PL2 3DQ":3m5czzdy said:
I agree with what Adams is saying and the one striker has worked pretty well under him - Reid, Brunt, Spencer and Taylor have all done a good job as a lone striker but the key is the players around him. If the second or third attacker, usually Carey and Lameiras, are playing well and working with the lone striker the tactic works a treat, as we saw for the second half of last season, however this season Ladapo is a different type of lone striker and will run the channels rather than bring Carey and Lameiras into play.

Not many teams play a 4-4-2 formation these days.
they do just watch match of the day and see how the teams line up also there are many outside the premier that do, adams knows best though.

Oct 31, 2015
The actual formation 4 4 f###ing 2 (in the words of Bassett) has died years ago but there are plenty of variations around 2 up front which DA will not play for some reason.

Forget Fletch he is not good enough. He couldnt even get into a Torquay side last season who were playing 2 up front. At the moment his standard is SWPL (which is a good standard but not goood enough for us).

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
4-4-2 will come back into fashion but for now the current system is in vogue.
The team has been largely built around this 4-3-3 /4-1-2-2-1 system which is meant to be fluid. Adams is quite particular with his system. It is actually very similar to Mourinhos system and Klopps. Klopps team however presses like no other.
For us as a team to move to 4-4-2 would require an entire squad rebuild. Some would say neccessary but it would cost money. Lots and that is something we simply do not have.

Jul 6, 2011
Biggs":v6n4acv0 said:
He employed a 4-4-2 formation until the early 2000s, when he recognised football was changing and went 4-4-1-1. He bought Juan Sebastian Veron for that reason, and put Paul Scholes behind the main striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

That didn’t work fantastically well, so he sold RVN and from that point on then worked with a 4-3-3. One of the best United teams ever was the team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as the three. But he also went with more defensive players in those positions like Park ji-Sung and Danny Welbeck for big games.

He very rarely used 4-4-2 after about 2001.

:D you honestly believe that was the best United line up under Ferguson?

Jul 6, 2011
Cobi Budge":38rzuoaw said:
A good example of a successful forward pairing in recent times would be Reid and Lavery, they were excellent in the short spell they had together. I don't buy the whole you can't play two up top anymore argument, but you need a pair of strikers who bring out the best in eachother and balance eachother's strengths and weaknesses. You can't just throw two strikers together up top for the sake of it, I remember us finishing a few games in League 2 with Taylor & Spencer together, almost identical players, we might as well have had nobody it was so ineffective. Taylor, Ladapo & Dyson, personally I don't see how an effective partnership can be formed from those three, and unfortunately I just don't think Fletcher is good enough for this level. 442 wouldn't suit the squad we have.

Fletcher is probably the only one who would fit in with a main striker from the forwards we currently have available (maybe Alex Battle as well).
But I don't know how many times it has to be said, but there must be a lot of deaf people on here, Fletcher is not a solo striker he works in a two.
When people say he's lacking, it's either jealousy or they couldn't spot talent if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.

Jul 6, 2011
rsp4":3m0ghwwt said:
The actual formation 4 4 f###ing 2 (in the words of Bassett) has died years ago but there are plenty of variations around 2 up front which DA will not play for some reason.

Forget Fletch he is not good enough. He couldnt even get into a Torquay side last season who were playing 2 up front. At the moment his standard is SWPL (which is a good standard but not goood enough for us).

Well that sets the bar for you ;) not a clue :D

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
briangreen":15z0z8k5 said:
Biggs":15z0z8k5 said:
He employed a 4-4-2 formation until the early 2000s, when he recognised football was changing and went 4-4-1-1. He bought Juan Sebastian Veron for that reason, and put Paul Scholes behind the main striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

That didn’t work fantastically well, so he sold RVN and from that point on then worked with a 4-3-3. One of the best United teams ever was the team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez as the three. But he also went with more defensive players in those positions like Park ji-Sung and Danny Welbeck for big games.

He very rarely used 4-4-2 after about 2001.

:D you honestly believe that was the best United line up under Ferguson?

The one getting the best out of possibly the greatest player ever and winning the Champions League? Yes, I do.

Wayne Rooney was pretty handy too, as were Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, Michael Carrick et al.

Mar 16, 2009
London
samjones":235kpr2w said:
3 - 5 - 2 would be disastrous with the personnel we have. its bad enough playing 2 of our CB's let alone 3 of them.
Teams would rip us apart with a little bit a pace and the way DA plays it would become 5 - 3 - 2 with us drawing teams on to us more and more.
This happened last year even with a better team and performances

Totally. It’s such a negative, defensive way to set up a team.

4-3-3 is the modern way, and the best system for both attacking and pressing.

Oct 31, 2015
briangreen":379lap5w said:
rsp4":379lap5w said:

Thank you sir I am glad your brain is bigger.and your opinions are the ones we must listen too :)

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
With the players we have, why not play the Dutch style of Total Football, we're gonna score one more than you! Makes life much more interesting than all this formation poppycock. When we have the ball find space to take a pass. When opponents have the ball mark up and deny space - simple.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’m looking forward to seeing Luke Jephcott break into the team and challenge Lameiras for his right sided forward position next year that he’s making his own for Wales U19’s..

Sep 6, 2006
lilcol":3phjijj9 said:
With the players we have, why not play the Dutch style of Total Football, we're gonna score one more than you! Makes life much more interesting than all this formation poppycock. When we have the ball find space to take a pass. When opponents have the ball mark up and deny space - simple.

Why didnt we think of that? What could possibly go wrong?

Jul 6, 2011
rsp4":6rpro0gi said:
briangreen":6rpro0gi said:
rsp4":6rpro0gi said:

Thank you sir I am glad your brain is bigger.and your opinions are the ones we must listen too :)

Well I'm glad you accept the truth, pea-size would never be enough for me, I'm glad it's working for you though...

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
When you’ve got simple players play a simple formation I:e 442. With this current formation it’s giving our LB and RB way too much to do, and they’re not good enough, Joel grant on one wing Ainsworth on the other two solid midfielders in the middle. Keep it simple. Guarantee if we got rid of Adams it would be the first thing they would do.