3421 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Apr 1, 2009
I personally would have brought on Jephcott instead of Ennis to play two up top with Hardie. Feel sorry for the lad - he’s been played out of position countless times and now gets overlooked completely, when actually he’s been our most prolific striker in the last two seasons.
I'm not without sympathy for this POV, but can a substitution be made because you feel sorry for him? Perhaps once, but what happens at the same time next week, do you make the same substitution for the same reason?

There is a reason LJ (or indeed anyone else) gets picked out of position, or overlooked. It's because the player is not the manager's number one choice for, or in the manager's mind is not particularly suited to, the role he wants filled. It happens in every club in the country, that players are left out. Perhaps it's not fair, but life isn't.

I agree that there is a strong argument for pairing Jephcott with Hardie when we play our (now less favoured) 3142, but it's got to be done on merit, not on sympathy.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
We all have players we like, or aren’t sure about. Houghton is one of mine.

Yet, the season has only began. By Christmas we might find that Mumba’s temperament seen him sent off a few times. Or that Camara is back in the fold and tearing up the midfield.

What lm saying is that the season has only begun and l wouldn’t write anyone off. For example, Jephcott is one of those players who can have a purple patch with his goal scoring. Then fans are raving about him. Sign him on an extended contract will be the shouts.

Houghton is the same for me. Was disappointed with his effort for tackling the Fleetwood players for their 2nd goal. But he came back with a bang yesterday.

The key is consistency. And can these players keep up similar levels to yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Furnell

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I'm not without sympathy for this POV, but can a substitution be made because you feel sorry for him? Perhaps once, but what happens at the same time next week, do you make the same substitution for the same reason?

There is a reason LJ (or indeed anyone else) gets picked out of position, or overlooked. It's because the player is not the manager's number one choice for, or in the manager's mind is not particularly suited to, the role he wants filled. It happens in every club in the country, that players are left out. Perhaps it's not fair, but life isn't.

I agree that there is a strong argument for pairing Jephcott with Hardie when we play our (now less favoured) 3142, but it's got to be done on merit, not on sympathy.

It is on merit - the Hardie/Jephcott pairing is our most potent front 2 by a mile. Ennis just doesn’t offer enough goal threat for me.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ennis just doesn’t offer enough goal threat for me.

It's a shame because I was one of the people talking Ennis up, particularly when he was out injured, I thought that when he came back we'd be a different animal up top. But I saw very little from him in the closing stages of last season and I've seen very little from him so far this season, he looks lightweight, he's constantly bullied, he isn't a goal threat, he just seems ineffective. For me at the moment he's at the bottom of the pecking order behind Hardie, Whittaker & Jephcott.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
The key to us playing well appears to be intensity and the ability to beat the press and play out from the back. We did both superbly on Saturday.

In away games the home teams tend to press more and we play more counter attacking. I think Charlton are much better than last year and will be a real test for us. It will be interesting after such an energy sapping game on Saturday if we can produce the same intensity and performance.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
It is on merit - the Hardie/Jephcott pairing is our most potent front 2 by a mile. Ennis just doesn’t offer enough goal threat for me.
If he was given enough game time he might be. Same with Jephcott. The new formation won't help either of them (although both are probably better in the one role than Hardie but hey ho).

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Was good when he came on on Saturday, first time I have felt positive about him for a while, so hopefully he has his mojo back.

Aug 8, 2014
I personally would have brought on Jephcott instead of Ennis to play two up top with Hardie. Feel sorry for the lad - he’s been played out of position countless times and now gets overlooked completely, when actually he’s been our most prolific striker in the last two seasons.
His confidence is on the floor, has been played out of position consistently and personally i think he needs a loan spell at a L2 club.... If they play him as a no. 9