Please God, not Wycombe again... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Please God, not Wycombe again...

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
My blood ran cold last night when I watched the coverage of Wycombe clinching promotion. Not even Exeter missing out on automatic made me feel any better. The interview with Ainsworthless and the comments of Chris Iwelumo about 'the quality of their play this season' (lump it up to 'The Beast') and their 'team spirit' (downright cheats and masters of the dark arts) had me slapping my forehead. If Argyle need any more motivation to go up perhaps Derek Adams could remind them who they'll be playing next season if they don't...

Apr 4, 2015
whoever said that cheats never prosper was sooooooo wrong. Ainsworth is such a sly cheating pos and it transfers through to their team, I look forward to seeing them get relegated next season as l1 will definitely find them out.

May 22, 2006
Ainsworth has done a brilliant job with his limited resources. In a radio preview yesterday, it was said that the combined ages of his three man toward line is 104 and they've been given contracts for next year. I think that it was said that the squad contains six players in mid to late thirties. They must be strong favourites to go down again next season and hopefully a team that Argyle can take six points from.

Wycombe are frustrating that the players go down too easily when winning - the playoffs ere a case in point. Most teams do the same and even our own supporters question GC10 sometimes. Ainsworth has done fantastically well on a small budget and loan players. He seems to be a character with his rock band and has usually been complimentary about Argyle and our supporters after games. He's been loyal to Wycombe and it would be interesting to see how he fares at a higher level or bigger club. An injury to Saunders after about 10 seconds ruined his chances in the playoff final and now he has got deserved success after 45 league games - it would be very difficult to 'cheat' in all of those games.

Oct 31, 2015
Firstly Congrats to Them. Ainsworth has done a fantastic job.

Now thats over I agree with op. This season has been really good for opposition with apart from Evans and Poah the teams have been fair and good to play against.

Evans and Ainsworth means there will be 4 games of theatrics and cheeting. I cant wait (said in a sarcastic tone)

Sep 13, 2003
Always enjoy our trips to High Wycombe and the relentless criticism of Ainsworth on this site is becoming so tedious it's actually starting to become amusing. Love the Bootlegger pub near the station so if we are still in this division then look forward to going back in 18/19 !

Sep 13, 2003
Whelan11":11d9w1o6 said:
They haven't won promotion yet though have they?

They won promotion yesterday Whelan, beat Chesterfield 2-1 and Exeter threw it away at Stevenage.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Wycombe are one of a clutch of clubs over the last 20 odd years who get out of league two from time to time, only to inevitably return. Exeter, Notts County, Northampton, Chesterfield and Bury also spring to mind (although Chesterfield have outdone themselves to drop out of the league this season).

It'll be a cheap laugh watching Wycombe go down, either next season or the following.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I had the misfortune to listen to Ainsworth being interviewed on 606 last night as I was driving home. He eulogised his players and club so much I was nearly forced into a lay-by and lose control of my stomach contents. Should Argyle fail to get promotion, the prospect of another fixture against Ainsworth's team is a dark cloud over fair play in football.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Exactly my thoughts, if we don’t make it up this season they will be no threat to our chances next season. That said when the fixtures come out, I will be hoping I have an excuse to miss another boring spectacle, in the chapter of Wycombe visits. That “game” which was again referenced yesterday by the Devonport will live long in the memory for all those there - a disgrace.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Clarke_B":32tac8cu said:
Whelan11":32tac8cu said:
They haven't won promotion yet though have they?

They won promotion yesterday Whelan, beat Chesterfield 2-1 and Exeter threw it away at Stevenage.

The table I was looking at had Wycombe only two points ahead. Just double checked another table and yeah, they did in fact seal promotion. Thanks!