Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 87 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.9%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 11.9%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.3%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.8%

• Total voters

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I don’t think we should rule out a Schuey type developing coach/ manager just because of our Foster experience. Foster is actually in his late 40s and a good few years older than some highly rated coaches Mousinho, Rohl, Ciluentes, McKenna, Luke Williams at Swansea. If Foster truly had manager potential he would have been picked for a job 5 to 10 years ago.

The issue that should have been picked up in the interview was that Foster’s man management, motivational and communication skills were awful. They are three basic skills for any leader in any profession the world over. How that was missed in the interview process should be the main focus of any review by the board not his age or experience.

Nov 18, 2011
Better than Paul Sturrock who dragged us from League 2 to the Championship in 3 seasons ? I think not Cobi.
His second spell always slightly soured things even if a lot of the bad stuff was completely out of his control.
It's a shame as the first spell was brilliant and such a ray of light after most of the late 90's being rubbish.
I'd agree with you, Sturrock mk1 >>>>> Schumacher

Reactions: Deacster

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don’t think we should rule out a Schuey type developing coach/ manager just because of our Foster experience. Foster is actually in his late 40s and a good few years older than some highly rated coaches Mousinho, Rohl, Ciluentes, McKenna, Luke Williams at Swansea. If Foster truly had manager potential he would have been picked for a job 5 to 10 years ago.

The issue that should have been picked up in the interview was that Foster’s man management, motivational and communication skills were awful. They are three basic skills for any leader in any profession the world over. How that was missed in the interview process should be the main focus of any review by the board not his age or experience.

Foster apparently had interviews at Portsmouth, Lincoln and Oxford before he came here, it should have been a red flag that three clubs in the league below decided not to go with him, I did point that out at the time but I think people were a bit sold down a river by his FA “credentials”.

Reactions: Koala Green
Nov 18, 2011
man management, motivational and communication skills were awful
An interview just isn't effective in testing these skills. Anyone can blag an interview.

The only real way of knowing if someone has these skills is by hiring someone who has already been a manager and carrying out due diligence by speaking with as many people as possible who were around at the same time.

Feb 8, 2005
The head coach that I would like to see at Argyle would be part Shuey and part Arsene Wenger.

Total opposites but together would be my ideal head coach.

Shuey for his coaching style, especially with his attitude towards players getting forward, and Arsene for his stubbornness in defending and winning games 1-0.

This all depends, of course, on the personnel that we will have at the club. Our pockets will not be deep, but there will be money available and we will be able to bring in five loans, who should be of better quality than those already here.

Playing the Shuey way will usually ensure we score goals, but we must temper that with the ability to drop back in defence when the occasion arises to see a game out, which Shuey was unable to do, so he decided to go gung ho and keep attacking, leaving the defence barely able to cope with the eventual counter attacks.

Don't ask me who the new head coach will be, like you I don't know, but I'd like them to have these attributes, and the ability to know when to go forward and when to defend.

May 24, 2022
Joint head coach Lee hobbs & Joe Edward, Nance , the ex Parkway manager knows all to well about financial limitations, geographical constraints, depth of young talent across the SW region. Joe E knows the argyle culture, the passion and commitment needed. Nance know the coaching hierarchy.

No huge financial investment needed in coaches, so would give more money to invest in players.
No let's be more professional, this is the Championship after all.

Nov 18, 2011
The more I think about it the more we need someone who has had some kind of management role before, ideally someone who has been successful already.

The board had got it right with Ryan Lowe who had already done a good job at Bury. I'm sure he came with good references about how he was a good motivator and man to man manager which was proven correct.

Schumacher was already at the club for 2 years so no due diligence was required. The board knew he was the best person to take over from Lowe and they were proven correct.

Foster was the first time someone was brought in from outside and who didn't have any prior management experience. That was an abject failure, we really can't afford another one of these.

Even if the man we bring in only has had 6 months or a year's worth of experience I'll be far more confident about them then someone completely new to management.

Reactions: subbuteo
Dec 22, 2010
north devon
Ultimately we need a schuey clone …we need to look at all the reasons why he was so successful and why the players loved playing for him and respected his methods and find someone with similar attributes.

I think squad harmony has had a lot to do with our recent success , and because of our location and the amount of time the players have to spend together travelling , it’s probably more important than at any other club .we all saw how the appointment of the abrasive foster affected that .
Danny Walker anyone