Transfer Window | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Transfer Window

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
gaspargomez":2lzx0tdo said:
Will Brent dip into his pocket to buy some decent quality League One players ?

Or will it be pound shop time again ?

I hate the January window. Any full transfers will be hiked up so no wee nuggets. Any decent players that have had a decent half season anywhere will be worth their weight in gold. It’ll be a disappointing window whoever we blame.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Ade the green":i04qfoks said:
gaspargomez":i04qfoks said:

I hate the January window. Any full transfers will be hiked up so no wee nuggets. Any decent players that have had a decent half season anywhere will be worth their weight in gold. It’ll be a disappointing window whoever we blame.

Too be honest Ade , despite having reservations myself about our prospects under DA , I do feel that you appear too have become far too negative recently .

Jul 6, 2011
Bad tactics and no goal-scoring striker, recipe for disaster. Taylor doesn't score enough goals and Adams wont play 442 so no Fletcher.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
DartingtonPilgrim":2fdkdqr8 said:
Ade the green":2fdkdqr8 said:
gaspargomez":2fdkdqr8 said:

Too be honest Ade , despite having reservations myself about our prospects under DA , I do feel that you appear too have become far too negative recently .

Wrong post. This post is not so much about DA or JB but the January transfer window is something I hate. Given our position, let’s say we need a striker. Everyone knows we need a striker so a second rate or over the hill prospect for us would have a high mark up (if we were buying). Any league two striker worth his salt would be at the top of league two (let’s say Stockley) for example and why would they want to swap a potential promotion for the prospect of a relegation scrap. Again, any player would have a huge mark up. Even like loanees, any good higher league player should have already have been lined up with the hopes that a good half season would set them up for the second half with their parent club.

As Gasper said, will January see JB loosen the purse strings but even so I doubt whether they can be loosened enough for us to buy our way out of trouble.

We should have tried harder for Stockley in July/August (for example) regardless of his peccadilloes.

I do recognise that I am pessimistic about our chances and it will take a massive shift in our “form” to change it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
DartingtonPilgrim":2cczjjok said:
Ade the green":2cczjjok said:
gaspargomez":2cczjjok said:

I don’t foresee any permanent signings with our season looking like a potential drop back into L2.

I think it’s more realistic to move some players out and use the money for some quality loan additions.

Less risk than going down with a big wage bill and probably a struggle in getting permanent players of quality when we are routed to the foot of the table.

3 decent loan signing will give us some real bite in the right areas.

Jul 12, 2016
I can't see Brent pouring money into a lost cause.Moreover how are we going to sign a much needed striker? Really attractive proposition,come and sign for a side looking at relegation, play alone up front and get kicked off the park by opposition CB's.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The transfer window system is a load of bollox. It creates a scenario where all the rich clubs pay over the odds for players who may get a chance if there is an injury crisis but in most cases will spend a Saturday evening cleaning boots. The rest are left to panic buy and get it wrong or miss out on your target and there's no way to rectify the situation. We missed out in August and a few key injuries mean't we're trading water until January and I'm sure there will be others in the same situation. On the flip side, get it right in August and the bigger clubs come sniffing around, come in with offers that can't be turned down and you're back rebuilding your team half way through the season in January.

A better system was the old way where a squad slowly evolves over the season, you add here and there, and any players who get leave do so in dribs and drabs, not all in one go.

Fair enough to close transfers in April to stop clubs buying a whole team to secure promotion etc, but open up the rest of the season for transfers.

The Bosman ruling came in because it was deemed unfair fo a club to demand a fee for a player who had come to the end of his contract. Any other business wouldn't be allowed to hold on to staff after the end of their contract and demand a fee from their new employer. Same goes for the transfer window, any other business is allowed to recruit all year around. Should be the same with football.

Mar 14, 2009
cheshiregreen":m004arwn said:
Mr Errington's thoughts. Nothing surprising though.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/f ... uad-907803

And yet surely looking at the team the one thing it's desperately needs is a tackling midfielder with pace. I lost count the number of times a Gillingham player dribbles at Fox, Toums or Carey/Songo only for them to beat them with ease. Something opposition teams haven't quite worked out about us but where we are massively weak. No mention of Ness but surely surplus to requirements.

My bit of anger about this whole scenario is I don't if players such as Lameiras or Ainsworth are any good simply because Adams won't give them a proper run in the side so why on earth sign them in the first place.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Metal_Green_Mickey":21bah24g said:
cheshiregreen":21bah24g said:
Mr Errington's thoughts. Nothing surprising though.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/f ... uad-907803

And yet surely looking at the team the one thing it's desperately needs is a tackling midfielder with pace. I lost count the number of times a Gillingham player dribbles at Fox, Toums or Carey/Songo only for them to beat them with ease. Something opposition teams haven't quite worked out about us but where we are massively weak. No mention of Ness but surely surplus to requirements.

My bit of anger about this whole scenario is I don't if players such as Lameiras or Ainsworth are any good simply because Adams won't give them a proper run in the side so why on earth sign them in the first place.

Central midfield is a tricky one. Fox and Diagouraga clearly have a quality above the level we are playing at, but they don't have the legs. And, like you I would see an energetic player in central midfield as a priority. Indeed, that would mean 2 or even 3 if planning for next season.

If Ciftci isn't coming to the party, then a back up for Taylor is obvious as well as possible full-back cover, though with Threlkeld on the way back, it could be argued we have that now with Sawyer.

Can't see too many departures. Lameiras is most likely of course - he seems to be the Carey replacement that wasn't needed and from what I've seen (probably not enough) looks good but delivers little. Wylde is a mystery - may have been a cheap option. Miller will likely see out the contract to the end of season. I would keep Ainsworth - on the few occasions I've seen him I think he's been OK and his presence serves as a reminder to Jervis which doesn't hurt.