Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 226 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Bit school playground that. 'I am right and you are wrong'.
Whatever happens you WONT be right.
1. It isn't right to sack a manager after less than 3 months;
2. Even if we had sacked IF the results would be very unlikely to change unless we could get Gardiola in;
3. There was no obvious candidate anyway.
So we may well go down due to poor recruitment and changing a manager with little more than a month of the season left achieves nothing apart from finfing a scapegoat.
Whether he is the answer longer term remains to be seen.Reducing to your level you are not right and how about at the very least stick to the facts and not talk nonsense about the 'vast majority'.
Can’t argue with any of that. Unless of course you are absolutely convinced you are right and nothing will change your mind. Personally with eight games to go I am going to stick with supporting the man our owners have backed to do his best.

And I’ll be back doing the same next season wherever we end up. I’ll be gutted if it isn’t the Championship. But I’ll still be here

Forty four years and counting. Three quarters of it below this level. It’s fine.

You get used to it. But at least try and enjoy the ride

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Can’t argue with any of that. Unless of course you are absolutely convinced you are right and nothing will change your mind. Personally with eight games to go I am going to stick with supporting the man our owners have backed to do his best.

And I’ll be back doing the same next season wherever we end up. I’ll be gutted if it isn’t the Championship. But I’ll still be here

Forty four years and counting. Three quarters of it below this level. It’s fine.

You get used to it. But at least try and enjoy the ride
This is the key part, surely nobody is in this for the glory!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Being abusive to club staff is not a good look either. There are people blocked, but not for criticising Foster as Cobi posted. Read what was posted.

I’m not sure exactly why people are being blocked, I’m sure it’s justified in cases of abuse, I’ve just happened to notice a big increase in people saying that they’ve been blocked and they aren’t sure why which has coincided with the downturn in results/Foster’s arrival. If everyone who has been blocked has called Foster a bald so and so then fair enough and all power to the club.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The meme makers and photoshoppers usually among them too. Often done by those that can write all manner of stuff about (this week it's...) Foster, but struggle to cope with anyone else online that has a different opinion or the temerity to criticise them.

I think you would have lost them using words like temerity 😂😂

Jun 2, 2016
I’ve got to say I really enjoy the main two argyle meme accounts, but they were a lot funnier when they were taking the mick out of other clubs rather than our own. The posts about Ben Waine missing a penalty who has done nothing but give 100% every time he has played were quite sad to see. I nearly said it last night, but Twitter is no place to get in to a debate like that.
1. Argyle providing some material to allow us to take the pi55 out of other clubs would be nice 😄
2. The Waine tweet was literally just posting a video of his penalty. It spoke for itself

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
1. Argyle providing some material to allow us to take the pi55 out of other clubs would be nice 😄
2. The Waine tweet was literally just posting a video of his penalty. It spoke for itself
There’s loads to take the pi55 out of with other clubs - look at Stoke, still below us.

It was the other account that went overboard with Waine’s pen, your comment was funny. (If you’re the person I think you are 👀)

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
New chant - fully expect this to be sung for the rest of the games:

Foster is our leader,
Taking over from Schuey and Lowe,
They hung around for a while,
Then back up north they go,
Fosters not had it easy,
He certainly divides opinion,
But we must all stick together,
And stay in the division!

Alez Alez Alez

Jan 9, 2020
I was at an event that was attended by Foster and some players a couple months ago

My thoughts then were that he seemed uncomfortable being the Centre of attention - as a number 2 he's usually had someone else to hide behind. Even as manager for England youth teams he wouldn't have had this level of exposure to press & fans day to day. This might explain how his interviews and demeanor come across.

On his social media (Instagram) last weekend he posted (whilst watching the England game) about an Argyle link in the Matchday program - so to me this gives the impression he is somewhat proud to be our manager. i think he's just struggling to adapt to the PR side of the job - which in turn is painting his results / performances much more negatively than if he was a Schuey style PR dream!.

He's here till at least the end of the season - so might as well rally behind him and give him a chance to adapt - this is a huge jump up from Assistant, but you don't get to being involved in the England set up without some obvious talent.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I was at an event that was attended by Foster and some players a couple months ago

My thoughts then were that he seemed uncomfortable being the Centre of attention - as a number 2 he's usually had someone else to hide behind. Even as manager for England youth teams he wouldn't have had this level of exposure to press & fans day to day. This might explain how his interviews and demeanor come across.

On his social media (Instagram) last weekend he posted (whilst watching the England game) about an Argyle link in the Matchday program - so to me this gives the impression he is somewhat proud to be our manager. i think he's just struggling to adapt to the PR side of the job - which in turn is painting his results / performances much more negatively than if he was a Schuey style PR dream!.

He's here till at least the end of the season - so might as well rally behind him and give him a chance to adapt - this is a huge jump up from Assistant, but you don't get to being involved in the England set up without some obvious talent.

Agree with much of that, particularly the part about him probably being proud to be our manager but struggling to adjust PR-wise, but I can’t agree with your last sentence - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is Gareth Southgate’s assistant.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Agree with much of that, particularly the part about him probably being proud to be our manager but struggling to adjust PR-wise, but I can’t agree with your last sentence - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is Gareth Southgate’s assistant.
It didn't work out for Hasselbaink at QPR or Northampton, but he was excellent in his first spell at Burton. His second spell he kept them up against the odds but then struggled the next season, but they do have a low budget for the league they're competing in. Might not have worked for JFH as a manager, but he's always been a very highly rated coach.

Reactions: Jon with no H

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It didn't work out for Hasselbaink at QPR or Northampton, but he was excellent in his first spell at Burton. His second spell he kept them up against the odds but then struggled the next season, but they do have a low budget for the league they're competing in. Might not have worked for JFH as a manager, but he's always been a very highly rated coach.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disputing that he’s a highly rated coach. So is Chris Powell. I’m just proving the point that being involved with the England set up doesn’t immediately qualify you for a gig in the Championship, working at St George’s Park part time and working full time at a Championship club where the games come thick and fast are very different. It’ll actually be really interesting to see how Gareth Southgate does when he goes back into domestic football.

Mar 24, 2019
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disputing that he’s a highly rated coach. So is Chris Powell. I’m just proving the point that being involved with the England set up doesn’t immediately qualify you for a gig in the Championship, working at St George’s Park part time and working full time at a Championship club where the games come thick and fast are very different. It’ll actually be really interesting to see how Gareth Southgate does when he goes back into domestic football.
Steve cooper and rob Edwards came from the fa youth set up and have had excellent club careers so far

Jun 26, 2006
It was in a lower league and every one of those winning performances that Cobi mentions are against teams that are below us now or were in dreadful form when we played them (Norwich and Sunderland if my memory serves me).
And that was a Norwich team that was without some key players such as Ashley Barnes and Josh Sargent. Also for the first 15-20 minutes they were all over us.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Steve cooper and rob Edwards came from the fa youth set up and have had excellent club careers so far

I'm not sure Rob Edwards was shaped in the same way though, he only had a few months coaching England U16s after a few years at Wolves.

Steve Cooper more so, but he managed Liverpool's academy and coached their U18s before working at the FA.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they both appear to have much more experience of top level clubs. And Ian Foster was initially appointed as Out of Possession coach at the England U17s, so it doesn't seem unfair to say from that and the evidence we've seen so far, that his speciality appears to be the defensive side of the game.