Thanks And Good Luck Curtis - joins Oxford | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thanks And Good Luck Curtis - joins Oxford

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Link

I thought he could have done better. The third player to sign for a League One team following Wylde and Hartley.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Penlee":3r1z714u said:
Still, a strange choice by him. Spose they have money.

As we rejected a 'derisory' offer from Barnsley we must have been confident of getting a fair bit more.

I may be severely underestimating their finances, but surely Oxford can't afford a substantial compensation payment that betters what Barnsley were prepared to pay?

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
What surprises me most, is that Oxford was either the best footballing or financial option open to him. Strange, but Good Luck Curtis, been very good for us, pretty much stays fit, rarely suspended and a very dependable character to have around.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oxford? Expected better than that I must admit.

Hardly a step up is it?

Underwhelmed on his behalf.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
loyal1970":3890umv7 said:
need to get at least £250 grand for him but it will probably go to a tribunal and we will get f..k all.

Think you're overestimating the compo that is typical in these situations.

Oct 14, 2015
Sensible move in my opinion...got plenty of time to learn his trade and in Division 1 he should get that chance. If deemed good enough he's got time to reach the Championship. Did Conor go from us to Barnsley who were Division 1 at the time?? Or were they already Championship. He's flourished and now playing Championship football. Nels has got plenty of time to develop ..

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Biggs":1u8qic40 said:
Penlee":1u8qic40 said:

As we rejected a 'derisory' offer from Barnsley we must have been confident of getting a fair bit more.

I may be severely underestimating their finances, but surely Oxford can't afford a substantial compensation payment that betters what Barnsley were prepared to pay?

Depends on how "derisory" the offer they made was. It was reported that we did well to get what we got out of them for Hourihane after some tough negotiations so perhaps they tried the same sort of thing with Nelson. Perhaps Oxford weren't as willing to mess around and went in with a good bid from the off and by showing such clear desire to sign him Nelson felt they were the better option?

Just me guessing but if Oxford were able to put a good offer on the table before Barnsley were even at the table why risk losing the Oxford offer on a club who weren't willing to pay for you in the first place?

Good luck to him but as others have said, bit of a let down as I'd have thought he could have done better than that but there we go.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Maybe Oxford haven't put in an offer at all, have signed him on a free and are now hoping for the panel to set a low compensation fee.

Isn't that what normally happens? Liverpool only paid £8m or so compensation for Danny Ings a few months AFTER they actually signed him.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Does the team he signs for have any impact on the compensation calculation. In terms of league status etc? Finances shouldn't pay a part so Oxford must be confident they can meet the obligation decided at the tribunal. Hopefully we don't receive less because they are only a Div 1 team.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":vam636wl said:
Oxford? Expected better than that I must admit.

Hardly a step up is it?

Underwhelmed on his behalf.

More club blunder than blinder then.

Very sad. A potential club legend lost to sodding Oxford... Ugh. Football sure knows how to sucker punch you.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Very surprised at this,thought Curtis would go to an established Div 1 team at least or even Championship

Again we dont know what contract offers were made to him,and money talks where it is a relatively short career

Sep 19, 2015
Not to fussed about losing Curtis. Great servent to the club but his pace got him out of alot of sticky situations which he had caused himself. Think League 1 is his level but I wish him all the best. The re-signing of Mchugh was much more important in my opinion.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
PlymouthCasual":2viimldq said:
Not to fussed about losing Curtis. Great servent to the club but his pace got him out of alot of sticky situations which he had caused himself. Think League 1 is his level but I wish him all the best. The re-signing of Mchugh was much more important in my opinion.

Spot on.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Biggs":2k22z929 said:
Penlee":2k22z929 said:

Oxford are quite well off financially, but if their Johnstone's Paint Trophy run generated for them anywhere near as much as it has for clubs in the past that's £1m extra in the bank for them.