Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley)

Nov 18, 2011
I'm going to risk it and get the Southern service to Crawley.
As a South London resident who regularly has to endure Southern Trains nearly all the services still usually operate during an RMT strike and this is the message that Southern are providing right now.

Now if it was an ASLEF strike we'd be stuffed.

Now I've typed this expect to see me entering the ground all flustered with 70 mins already played!

Sep 6, 2006
Joe Totale":9fypc015 said:
I'm going to risk it and get the Southern service to Crawley.
As a South London resident who regularly has to endure Southern Trains nearly all the services still usually operate during an RMT strike and this is the message that Southern are providing right now.

Now if it was an ASLEF strike we'd be stuffed.

Now I've typed this expect to see me entering the ground all flustered with 70 mins already played!

From my experience with Southern Rail Joe, the service actually improves when they are on strike!

Apr 15, 2008
London
MarkMatthews":1rr6r4bn said:
Patrik":1rr6r4bn said:
Just a heads up that Southern have another strike day on the day of the Crawley game, shouldn't cause too many problems for anyone coming from London as Thameslink services to Three Bridges are unaffected, a lot of the Southern services to Crawley may still run but might affect anyone coming from West of Chichester and East of Eastbourne as those services are patchy and normally the 1st to be axed on strike days.

Solidarity to all those taking part in the industrial action. Your future job security and future passenger safety are more important than being able to travel to see a football match by rail IMO. I hope anyone who it affects can seek alternative travel arrangements by bus, coach, private cars etc.

Solidarity. Lol. Lazy, entitled buggers. :lol:

Sep 6, 2006
crownhillpilgrim":19mq2a9f said:
MarkMatthews":19mq2a9f said:
Patrik":19mq2a9f said:
Just a heads up that Southern have another strike day on the day of the Crawley game, shouldn't cause too many problems for anyone coming from London as Thameslink services to Three Bridges are unaffected, a lot of the Southern services to Crawley may still run but might affect anyone coming from West of Chichester and East of Eastbourne as those services are patchy and normally the 1st to be axed on strike days.

Solidarity to all those taking part in the industrial action. Your future job security and future passenger safety are more important than being able to travel to see a football match by rail IMO. I hope anyone who it affects can seek alternative travel arrangements by bus, coach, private cars etc.

Workers rights and job security don't bother you, do they? Perhaps you are the 'entitled' one with a nice secure income.

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":1771zau5 said:
crownhillpilgrim":1771zau5 said:
MarkMatthews":1771zau5 said:
Patrik":1771zau5 said:

Workers rights and job security don't bother you, do they? Perhaps you are the 'entitled' one with a nice secure income.

But at least the service will improve.

Latest update from Southern :
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-jou ... 33929ee701

So normal service - except on Milton Keynes to Clapham Junction (no service) and Clapham Junction to East Croydon (reduced service - but only on stoppers).

There should be no issues travelling to Three Bridges and/or Crawley. Based on bitter experience since last July, I'm still not convinced that Ashford to Brighton will be trouble free - but that's just an issue for me and any other PASTIES heading west. The rest of you should be absolutely fine.

Mike

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Confused now. So the strike doesn't mean there are no trains? And of the affected services, London Bridge to Crawley isn't? Please confirm, as this moves the goalposts positively in my favour

There ARE trains. Did you read the link ?

The strike should have very little effect, with a near normal Saturday service. Expect a few cancellations on the day - check the live departure boards on national rail enquiries on the day - but you will be able to get there.

Ok ?

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
I confused myself WG. Clicked the strike map link, and assumed all of those routes were cancelled. It was when i just looked at the key at the top; the colours denote the service, not the route! My bad! Will be coming in and back from LB then....!

Thanks mate

Jul 24, 2009
It's not uncommon for a high proportion of trains to run on a strike day, they vary wildly. Sounds like that'I'll be the case tomorrow. Southern at the best of times can be subject to a last minute cancellation with little or no explanation so I would plan on aiming to get to the ground or pub nearby with a bit of time to spare just in case.

Nov 18, 2011
third earl of jean":25ifm9wt said:
It's not uncommon for a high proportion of trains to run on a strike day, they vary wildly. Sounds like that'I'll be the case tomorrow. Southern at the best of times can be subject to a last minute cancellation with little or no explanation so I would plan on aiming to get to the ground or pub nearby with a bit of time to spare just in case.

Travelling tomorrow will certainly leave you with plenty of time to get to the ground!

Jul 24, 2009
Joe Totale":nd9yj7lf said:
third earl of jean":nd9yj7lf said:

Travelling tomorrow will certainly leave you with plenty of time to get to the ground!
Haha, good point! Wishful thinking - it's been a long week...