Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southern strike day 8th April (Crawley)

Jul 24, 2009
Emu":23osevai said:
MarkMatthews":23osevai said:
Emu":23osevai said:
It's easy to come out with that suggestion, but try that reasoning on the commuters who use Southern for their daily lives and are heavily reliant on these services. The organisation is inept - and this was before all the troubles started with the more recent bout of strike action.

The way the issue has been shoved under the carpet by the Government has not helped either.

I made that suggestion so they could avoid all that chaos if at all possible. Anyone who is heavily reliant on those services would surely support the strike, the "inept "organisation is unlikely to improve with even less staff is it? Not that I wish to hijack the thread down a political route.

Me neither if the truth be known, however, I can tell you from living in an the Southern catchment area, there are very few people who are sympathetic to the workers on strike and the company in general.

As Winchelsea points out, roll on the next franchise bidding war, because that looks like the only way that this is going to be resolved.
Completely agree, I too use Southern day in day out and to say the company and the RMT have both not covered themselves in glory is a huge understatement IMHO. I too detect precious little sympathy for the strikers in this instance.

On topic, strikes vary in their effect so trains may well run. Worth having a back up e.g Thameslink in mind.

Apr 7, 2006
Another Southern Rail commuter here, passing through Crawley each day. Echo the views of Winchelsea Green and Emu. There is no sympathy for the conductors / OBS, not least because of the chaos caused over the past year and the fact that a significant number of them seem to spend the majority of their journeys static in one carriage playing games on their phones.

Onto the subject of transport on 8/4, for those travelling from London, the Thameslink option from London Blackfriars to Three Bridges is a safer bet, with options of trains running every 15 minutes. The fastest option takes 47 minutes and runs every 30 minutes at 22 minutes and 52 minutes past the hour. Although also part of Govia (who run Southern) they are not the subject of the RMT strike.

The Southern Rail website will publish a list of trains running 24 hours in advance of the strike day. On the past two RMT strikes there has been no disruption on this line (Bognor/Portsmouth to London) as it was the first to operate Driver Only trains.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Any news on the strike gents? We were going to come in from Victoria, but are open to the Blackfriars train if it works better. What's the walk to the ground like?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Winchelsea Green":27ceu37e said:
Emu - that relates to ASLEF, the drivers. Saturday's strike is by the RMT for the guards/OBS.

Mike

Ah apologies. I'm having trouble keeping track of the situation (boom,boom)!

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
For those Greens going to Crawley via Three Bridges rail station ...

(Thameslink direct rail service from, for example, West Hampstead, London St Pancras International, London Blackfriars and East Croydon )

Here are the times of the Metrobus Fastway 20 from Three Bridges rail station to the Broadfield Stadium Crawley
Minutes past the hour
Depart Three Bridges rail station bus Stop C 14 34 54
Arrive Broadfield Stadium Crawley 23 43 03

Return Fastway 20 from Broadfield Stadium Crawley to Three Bridges station
Depart Broadfield Stadium Crawley 16.54 17.14 17.40
Arrive Three Bridges station Stop C 17.03 17.23 17.49

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
PutneyPete":2by3dkri said:
For those Greens going to Crawley via Three Bridges rail station ...

(Thameslink direct rail service from, for example, West Hampstead, London St Pancras International, London Blackfriars and East Croydon )

Here are the times of the Metrobus Fastway 20 from Three Bridges rail station to the Broadfield Stadium Crawley
Minutes past the hour
Depart Three Bridges rail station bus Stop C 14 34 54
Arrive Broadfield Stadium Crawley 23 43 03

Return Fastway 20 from Broadfield Stadium Crawley to Three Bridges station
Depart Broadfield Stadium Crawley 16.54 17.14 17.40
Arrive Three Bridges station Stop C 17.03 17.23 17.49

Good information to have for the day. Thanks.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Well we've planned our route, should the southern rail strike go ahead. We'll be arriving at Three Bridges from St Pancras, having a beer at the nearby bar then bussing it to the ground. Getting to South Bermondsey is a bit of a faff tho; Thameslink from Three Bridges upto blackfriars, tube to Canada Water then bus to my Sister's place. I hope the strike is worth it in the end!!!

Sep 13, 2003
There is a well served cab rank at Three Bridges station, if in a group it would probably easier getting a cab to Crawley FC..it was only a 10min ride to the ground last season.