Someone is in LaLa land (Adams/Errington comments) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Someone is in LaLa land (Adams/Errington comments)

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
chunkymonkey78":ofsr83rl said:
jimbo_the_green":ofsr83rl said:
At the time of the change we were under a lot of pressure I thought. We were conceding possession and territory as we had for the first half hour of the game. Bradley coming on was to bolster the back line.

Our deep positioning invited them on to us not the substitution. It's uncomfortable to watch but they weren't carving out any real chances and the goal came from distance as was ours.

It's disappointing to have conceded the equaliser but I'll take the positives out of today. It seems the bandwagon against adams has the momentum so it will take a miracle for people to change their view but today was a successful day at the office in my opinion

I'm in the give DA time camp, but I'm not sure the decision to put Bradley into the back three was what cost us the game, more so that we played so deep with it and didn't have a sticking point up front until 5 mins from the end.

I agree. They still only got lucky with a shot from distance (again as did we). Over the whole game they had a lot of the ball but we threatened the goal more.

There were elements of the performance that were frustrating but overall today was a step in the right direction. It means nothing if we can't kick on and improve but for today I went home happy.

Nobody should underestimate the fragility of mind the squad will have and the boost they should get from today. It's no wonder they were nervous and sat too deep

Dec 2, 2010
I applaud the positive sentiments in some of the posts....

...a step in the right direction (not so sure....that was said after the Bury game!)....

...and we would have taken a point before the match (yes, but who would have predicted Gillingham, AFC, Oldham and Bury all winning!).

The fact is that a step in the right direction is only a positive if you're not being outpaced by everyone around you..... and a point from a game similarly....a point at Grimsby was a good point on paper but it didn't prevent Pompey winning and us losing the title.

What is clear to all and sundry - and particular opposition managers and the GA! - is that DA's 'negative' tactics are not going to work in L1. We have won the least games in the division; have the joint most defeats; yes, we have scored more goals than the three above us - but the gap to the rest is significant; and we have conceded the most goals (other than Northampton).

Managers know that they are going to dominate possession. Paul Hurst, despite his diplomacy, was obviously not the least bit surprised we made a defensive switch after we went one up. I.e DA did what he expected and they got back in the game. Interesting how Palace and Bolton the other basement boys, both won their games - by scoring two goals!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really think anything less than 6 points from the next three games will mean we are left seriously adrift. if we go to Blackburn and AFC and play like we did at Wigan and Bristol we will lose the games.....defending for 90 minutes and creating two or three chances won't cut it at this level.

is he in LaLa land? Adams has to conjure up some oscar winning performances - we need the Revenant that's for sure.

Jul 7, 2006
jimbo_the_green":hgqg5p2t said:
chunkymonkey78":hgqg5p2t said:
jimbo_the_green":hgqg5p2t said:
At the time of the change we were under a lot of pressure I thought. We were conceding possession and territory as we had for the first half hour of the game. Bradley coming on was to bolster the back line.

Our deep positioning invited them on to us not the substitution. It's uncomfortable to watch but they weren't carving out any real chances and the goal came from distance as was ours.

It's disappointing to have conceded the equaliser but I'll take the positives out of today. It seems the bandwagon against adams has the momentum so it will take a miracle for people to change their view but today was a successful day at the office in my opinion

I'm in the give DA time camp, but I'm not sure the decision to put Bradley into the back three was what cost us the game, more so that we played so deep with it and didn't have a sticking point up front until 5 mins from the end.

I agree. They still only got lucky with a shot from distance (again as did we). Over the whole game they had a lot of the ball but we threatened the goal more.

There were elements of the performance that were frustrating but overall today was a step in the right direction. It means nothing if we can't kick on and improve but for today I went home happy.

Nobody should underestimate the fragility of mind the squad will have and the boost they should get from today. It's no wonder they were nervous and sat too deep

Well who instructed them to sit so deep and thus invite constant attack. Also it wasn't a lucky goal they scored it was on a par with Carey's and both were great strikes. Because we sat back it was an invitation for an equalizer.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
narrowboat":13dxlqtr said:
jimbo_the_green":13dxlqtr said:
chunkymonkey78":13dxlqtr said:
jimbo_the_green":13dxlqtr said:

Well who instructed them to sit so deep and thus invite constant attack. Also it wasn't a lucky goal they scored it was on a par with Carey's and both were great strikes. Because we sat back it was an invitation for an equalizer.

Yes I said that both goals were similar. Also said some elements of our play were frustrating I'm not saying all was perfect. Sitting back and lumping the ball out from the back was very difficult to watch all I was saying is that overall it was a positive step from a nervous side with a run of defeats.

It's not perfect and there's still much to do. We're in the brown stuff and performances like that are important to start getting out of it. It doesn't matter what others are doing at this early stage we need to sort ourselves out and start getting points on the board and yesterday was a step forward

Dec 2, 2010
Interesting to see that Lovell, Gill's caretaker manager, got the points yesterday by changing the tactics and going on the offensive to try and win the game, not 'not to lose' but with a with a 'defensive determination'. Even Posh manager McCann said they deserved to win.

They were absolutely dire last week at home to Pompey.

If there's a message to DA with two away games coming up....here it is...or the consequences are there...that was the Gills second managerial change of the season!

jimbo_the_green":1ljlbbxf said:

This is how I see it. We were not holding onto possession well most game with our out balls. Had one of the two Shrews big tall subs scored, DA would be slated for not changing to cater their substitutions. Tough being manager or player at present. As soon as they did score there was only one winning team, and we did well to hang on. I'd have taken a point b4 game, it was a fair result. Shame Oldham picked up three away . Players needed a moral and confidence boost - hope this was it.