Sam Gallagher (Sell on clause?) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sam Gallagher (Sell on clause?)

Jul 31, 2009
Plymouth
gaspargomez":fqe4fngl said:
I'm annoyed that Argyle scout these kids and then other clubs steal them. If Argyle had KEPT Gallagher he could have helped the team on the pitch AND Argyle could have negotiated their own sell on clauses and transfer fees. £5 million would probably pay for Phase 2

This is the weakness in the Academy- if a top player is discovered, they get taken away by other clubs in the Championship or Premier League. Argyle get whatever these clubs don't want. If Messi was from Estover and came up through Argyle's schoolboy ranks he'd be stolen away before he even kicked a ball for the first team.

I heard that Alan Evans was coaching at Argyle at the time and went to the Argyle board and said you must sign this player on a full contract and not an academy contract as he will be worth millions in the future but the Argyle board said no so he went to Southampton instead and Alan Evans resigned.

Jan 27, 2012
X Isle":a54ujtv8 said:
Sam Gallagher would not be worth £5m if he'd stayed with us though. He'd have been a top notch L2 player as opposed to the top notch championship player that fee justifies.

In saying that I don't seek to justify the academy talent grab, I think it sucks, big time. I merely observe what the economics of the situation would be had he stayed.

Thats probably true, but a fee of £1m with a 40% sell on clause would have been realistic.

That could still yield a few million.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":t40zf21b said:
X Isle":t40zf21b said:
Sam Gallagher would not be worth £5m if he'd stayed with us though. He'd have been a top notch L2 player as opposed to the top notch championship player that fee justifies.

In saying that I don't seek to justify the academy talent grab, I think it sucks, big time. I merely observe what the economics of the situation would be had he stayed.

Thats probably true, but a fee of £1m with a 40% sell on clause would have been realistic.

Hardly fair on the kid to restrict his development by making him stay down here. I know it is frustrating but at least EPPP now rewards a club for their early input.

Oct 24, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":3kpfw0d5 said:
gaspargomez":3kpfw0d5 said:
X Isle":3kpfw0d5 said:

Hardly fair on the kid to restrict his development by making him stay down here. I know it is frustrating but at least EPPP now rewards a club for their early input.
His development was restricted at Southampton, he has barely played for them. He would have been a lot better off staying here and getting first team experience from a very early age. There is a massive pool of young talent which the Premier League clubs harvest from all parts of the country but only a tiny percentage get anywhere near their first teams. They play the numbers game picking up hundreds of kids for peanuts in the hope of unearthing the occasional "gem". It is a poor state of affairs.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
But at least he had the choice. He didn't have to leave but it must be easily sold to him and his family.

At a higher level academy there are more resources. Indeed he was less likely to get first team football in the Premier League but of course they have the option of using the loan system and finding him first team football at the level they feel suits his development programme at that time.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
BurnhamMike56":2z3sa6uv said:
How about him coming here on loan for the season in exchange for releasing the sell on clause? Would it be worth it for Argyle?

Not if he can't guarantee goals to create guaranteed promotion!

Jul 29, 2012
Southampton clearly rate him . If he goes on loan it will be another championship club .

Jul 29, 2010
pafcdje":zwxw05mv said:
Southampton clearly rate him . If he goes on loan it will be another championship club .
Or, seeing as he shone in a relegated championship team, maybe a low finishing or newly promoted premiership team.

Either way no sell on clause, but the better he plays, the higher he plays, the better chance of a bigger sell on clause later.

Feb 28, 2016
Not sure in the slightest but wasn't he sold just before EPPP come in? If he was not sure if it is retrospective, I fully expect we have got what we are due on all of those sold then, so anything extra we are entitled to would be a bonus for me.

One thing for sure for me, administration was the best thing that could have ever happened for those lads, talk about a get out of jail free card!