Rooney to Hartlepool (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rooney to Hartlepool (merged)

Sep 10, 2011
Good luck to him.

Hopefully DA has stipulated a perecentage of game time, otherwise he would have been better going back to Truro.

Aug 5, 2016
Steve.PAFC2012":1xlb9ngh said:
Cobi Budge":1xlb9ngh said:
I'm a fan of Louis, has potential, but far too many people on here adopting the "ooo arr he's local so he must be ready" opinion.
In fairness Exeter haven't done shabby by giving Watkins a go.

Would he have been given a shot here? I somehow doubt it.

We gave Tyler Harvey 55 appearances and he scored 5 goals. Exeter City have given Ollie Watkins 50 games and he's scored 18 goals, including 7 in his last 8.

Exeter City are rejecting bids from all over the place for Watkins, and Harvey has just had a contract from one non-league club torn up so he can join another one a division below.

The point is not all teenage talents are the same. Teenagers aren't flower seeds, just add water (first team football) and they grow into multi million pound sales. There's a bit of managerial and coaching judgement involved.

Ollie Watkins looks some talent from the videos, a fast stocky lad with a low centre of gravity, sound technical skill and can really strike a ball with power. He's a clever thinker, one twos and pass & move football - perhaps a lot better than Rooney is? Clubs from the top two tiers might be thinking there's a potential Rashford to be nabbed there. Rooney will be jealous of his exposure, but from what I've seen Rooney is not as fast, strong or confident on the ball as young Watkins.

I don't disagree that Adams's football does not help our young lads in developing technical skill. Exeter could probably do a lot more with Rooney than what we can because of the way they play, and the way we play. Maybe that is why Adams has realised that the physicality he requires up front is never going to be found in Rooney - that's why he's found Blissett and Taylor, a couple of units who can play adequately with back to goal. Rooney might be needed a bit at Hartlepool, and get the additional game time he deserves and requires.

Adams loaning Rooney to Hartlepool shows that Adams rates Rooney as League Two quality, or close to it. But Goodwillie couldn't really get a game at Argyle, and when he did he largely struggled, so what makes us think Rooney would have done any better than DG did?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
John Cooper":1o6kfstb said:
Shm":1o6kfstb said:
Martyn":1o6kfstb said:
nick_PASTIE":1o6kfstb said:
Will he be allowed to play against us?

He's down the pecking order here with Taylor, Garita, Blissett all vying for effectively one position, Derek has made comments before like he can't understand how he does well because he doesn't seem to have all the attributes so I don't think he really rates him.

Of course not, stupid question
Hardly a stupid question. It's happened before! Siep on loan to Blackpool ring any bells??!! :banghead:

And it's worked to our benefit - Sir Tommy v Rotherham in the promotion season. A perfectly valid question raised

Yes. Rotherham let us have him on loan, we beat them 4-0 and he scored 2 goals. We were promoted after he scored 10 goals in 9 games.

As it looks like a rush job, hopefully, it was built into the agreement that Rooney cannot play against us on 18th February.

Sep 30, 2004
twist of lime":35ol1p0o said:
He will get more game time there than on the bench at Argyle so not a bad thing if he gets a good run of games.

He may do us a favour if he can score against our promotion rivals.....

COYG

Well if your a professional bench warmer there's no better place to go than Hartlepool.Apparently they have one of the finest benches in the league,rather than you warm the bench it warms you.
Made of cushioned faux leather and heated many players are happy to spend their whole career on it.

Feb 28, 2016
Cobi Budge":h4v7carv said:
I'm a fan of Louis, has potential, but far too many people on here adopting the "ooo arr he's local so he must be ready" opinion.

No one is equating him with being ready because he is local Cobi, the jury is still out on whether he is good enough, he hasn't had chance to prove that either way yet. From what he has been able to show so far, his goal to game ratio is still looking impressive, I don't know what exactly his goal ratio is in the SWPL but saying its pretty healthy, is going to be an understatement I know that much, (probably has more goals than games) and whilst I accept points about quality of the opposition, Adams must be able to use it as some sort of yardstick otherwise it would seem pointless entering a team and a waste of Adams time (fairly regularly) attending.

Great opportunity for Louis, with potential to spectacularly backfire on Argyle. I could be reading them wrong of course but them Rooney is switched on. seems well measured, modest and quietly self confident (his brother shares all those qualities). I don't think he will wait around for Argyle. I now don't think he will be here next season, he will go either the way of Purrington or Harvey.

Something needs to be addressed with the attitudes, policies and practices of our own grown players from 18-21. I saw people on here "disappointed in" Purrington and that because he was from the ranks expected undying loyalty from him. Put yourself in his boots for a minute, constantly over looked, last season was dropped at the first available opportunity after taking his chance, rumours on here saying he was on "poo wages", his best mate (also at PAFC) not exactly having a joyous time of it himself, I imagine conversations between them made for pretty gloomy listening, particularly when contrasting experiences with any mates they may have at ECFC. he's watched mates from his year that got away, flourish and he saw the mates that stayed with him, (who gave nothing but loyalty) now working on building sites and playing for Truro. If I was him I would feel completely: undervalued, underappreciated, underrated and unwanted and first chance of something better I would be off before I ended up bombing it down the A390 every other Saturday myself.

If you can foster a positive environment that they actually enjoy and see where hard work will be rewarded then that will surely only increase the odds of players wanting to stay.

Good luck to him hope he smashes it and hope he does get offered a contract here and accepts it but only if he is going to get a chance.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Can't do links but gillingham have released a statement saying bondz ngala can't play for them as new regulations class the National League as a professional club, and he'll fall foul of two club rule.

Will this effect Rooney?

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Stuart House":2pyb3z61 said:
Can't do links but gillingham have released a statement saying bondz ngala can't play for them as new regulations class the National League as a professional club, and he'll fall foul of two club rule.

Will this effect Rooney?

Nope

Mar 14, 2009
TBH, Adams said he was going there to get game time. My worry was when Hartelpool fans they already had 5 forwards on the books and didn't need him. It's great news for us that he will get a chance to shine.