Retained list (Confirmed) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Confirmed)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Army green":2odzewli said:
Would have been good to see brunt given the chance of proving his fitness then maybe offering him a contract, suprised to see smith being released. good to see Jake Jervis is staying, I thought his contract was up. Let's see what Carey decides to do now, although I think deep down we all know he's going. Looking forward to seeing who Derek brings in. 28/1 for the league one title as it stands. Let's have it.

I agree about Brunt but is there room for a Blissett and a Brunt in the same line-up. Perhaps the Club know more about the full recuperation prospects than we supporters. It will be interesting to see if JS ever goes after him again?

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I think it means Argyle have the option and take it up , meaning the player is under contract to us , should the player want to leave Argyle will be due a fee .

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
briangreen":3d5o10ja said:
Letting Louis Rooney go is not something I would do, but I guess I'm not the manager.

Sad, but the reality for DA is that he couldn't get in the team when he was here, and failed to make an impression at a relegated Hartlepool side.

Adams will therefore justifiably be thinking he'd be even more unlikely to feature in League 1. Though I'm sure Louis will look at Isaac Vassell's career for inspiration :thumbup:

X Isle":1h8vv0ut said:
Question - When it says 'option taken up', does that mean ARGYLE have taken up the option and WANT the player to re-sign, or does it mean THE PLAYER has taken up the option offered and HAS resigned?

If it is the latter then we have a five a side team.

Is it NOT available to either party to trigger ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":usld7mm5 said:
It's such a shame when a promotion winning squad is broken up. Thanks for getting us up! :clap:

Yep, it has to be a serious kick in the teeth for players like Slew, Spencer and Smith to one day be celebrating after having been a significant part of a promotion season, then the next to be disposed of.

That's the reality of football, unfortunately :sad:

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
X Isle":2q3k1y3s said:
Question - When it says 'option taken up', does that mean ARGYLE have taken up the option and WANT the player to re-sign, or does it mean THE PLAYER has taken up the option offered and HAS resigned?

Considering the opening paragraph, they've re signed:

ARGYLE player-of-the-season Sonny Bradley heads a list of 11 promotion-winning Pilgrims who will kick off life in Sky Bet League One with the Greens next season.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
RETAINED LIST

Under contract: Nathan Blissett, Luke McCormick, Antoni Sarcevic, Ryan Taylor.

Out of contract, offered new contract: Graham Carey, Mark McCallum, Gary Sawyer.

Option to extend contract taken up: Sonny Bradley, David Fox, Jake Jervis, Gary Miller, Jakub Sokolik, Yann Songo’o, Oscar Threlkeld,

Out of contract, released: Ryan Brunt, Nauris Bulvitis, Jack Calver, Ryan Donaldson, Vincent Dorel, David Ijaha, Ryan Lane, Billy Palfrey, Louis Rooney, Jordan Slew, Connor Smith, Jimmy Spencer, Ben Steer,

Loan expired: Arnie Garita, Matt Kennedy, Craig Tanner.

Apprentices offered professional contract: Jordan Bentley, Alex Fletcher, Callum Rose.

Apprentices offered professional development contracts*: Alex Battle, Dan Rooney, Aaron Taylor.

Apprentices released: Connor McAuley, Josh Richards.
[/quote]

My first look at this today and, on the face of it, not too many shocks and not much to argue with really.

I would have given Brunty a chance (6 months) to prove himself, but that's the sentimental approach.

I'm not sure about Miller at all, be he may have exercised the clause, rather than the club. That said, he's not awful is he? Steady full back.

Spencer's release is a surprise, not because I liked him, but because I really thought DA did.

There's the backbone of a pretty decent L1 squad there and with some solid additions, I'm as optimistic as I can be in May!!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
On the reverse of that though, ultimately Boateng, Hartley, Nelson and Wylde failed us for promotion, yet all subsequently spent the following season in League One.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
No real surprises in that list, we just have to sit tight and hope that Carey accepts the offer on the table.

I don't rate Miller at all but DA clearly does so let's hope the player is more suited to League One. Let's wait and see.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":3726tt4b said:
PL2 3DQ":3726tt4b said:
It's such a shame when a promotion winning squad is broken up. Thanks for getting us up! :clap:

Yep, it has to be a serious kick in the teeth for players like Slew, Spencer and Smith to one day be celebrating after having been a significant part of a promotion season, then the next to be disposed of.

That's the reality of football, unfortunately :sad:

Yep. I would include Donaldson and Bulvitis as well. Over the season those five players contributed to a promotion campaign.
On the plus side their stock will be high now and should have no problem finding a new club and maybe a club closer to home.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":2jpwlio8 said:
X Isle":2jpwlio8 said:

ARGYLE player-of-the-season Sonny Bradley heads a list of 11 promotion-winning Pilgrims who will kick off life in Sky Bet League One with the Greens next season.

I think either the club or the player has exercised the relevant contract clause - so they're signed up!

Jul 29, 2010
Assuming 'option taken up' means the players are definitely staying...

Good work Derek Adams. Someone has said it already but how nice to have a manager who takes the 'root and branch' approach, unafraid to wield the knife with no sentiment. Plenty of others off the back of a promotion would've just gone again with the same players and just watched to see if they sunk or swam. Its bold, and i love it :clap:

The two most frustrating players for me last season were Jordan Slew and Gary Miller. Pleased to see we won't see Slew again and philosophical about Miller. I HOPE, as someone has already alluded to, he isn't seen as automatic first choice. The pair go back a long way so I again HOPE he's there as backup and an 'ear in the dressing room', a trusted communication link between the players and the manager. I worry he's first choice though.

The rest? Fair enough, cases were there for Brunty and Smiffy, but it is now firmly Derek Adams team and if he says no, then so be it. The belly aching about Louis Rooney is predictable, it happens every year, he's the new Tyler Harvey and Luke Young....and look where they are :wink:

An interesting summer ahead as he re-moulds the squad with the best of the old clay and hopefully some good new clay. I was worried last summer with established players like Reuben, Hartley and Curtis leaving and the sheer volume of new signings. This summer I am not because the 'names' released are not as key and this guy knows what he's doing.

Thank you to all those departing who contributed to a thoroughly professional and successful season :clap:

Jul 29, 2010
Keepitgreen":3af0da7h said:
X Isle":3af0da7h said:

Cheers KIG, didn't follow the link, just Nobby's summary. Good stuff :thumbup:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
A little surprised about Miller, Songo & Sawyer – I think they’ll struggle although as suggested could be relatively cheap & low risk ‘back-ups’. Carey staying would be our equivalent of a massive ‘marque’ signing that would have me cracking open a bottle or two. Let’s hope DA can pick up a few more gems but Luke, Sonny, Fox & Taylor is not bad spine to work around.