Rate the Ref v Northampton - Antony Coggins | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref v Northampton - Antony Coggins

Rate the Ref v Northampton?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 3 3.5%

Votes: 3 3.5%

Votes: 8 9.3%

Votes: 19 22.1%

Votes: 35 40.7%

Votes: 17 19.8%

• Total voters

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
My Dad has always said if you don't notice the referee he's had a good game. That certainly applied last night.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Martyn":12yv2kx7 said:
Keepitgreen":12yv2kx7 said:
Martyn":12yv2kx7 said:
With all the good comments, we must have WON
You must get used to the fact that most posters will mark on their performances not the result.

You think so !

Maybe we should only let referees/ex referees mark and comment on officials, it is patently obvious we mere mortals are not fit to make a judgement. :twisted:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's how it comes across to me as well Derek.

I know a crap ref when I see one, and the majority in the bottom two leagues are useless jobsworths.

The bloke last night was a breath of fresh air, let's hope he doesn't get 'bullied' into being a prat to melt in with his contemporaries.

Sep 25, 2010
justanotherfan":231m0rlf said:
Martyn":231m0rlf said:
Keepitgreen":231m0rlf said:
Martyn":231m0rlf said:
With all the good comments, we must have WON
You must get used to the fact that most posters will mark on their performances not the result.

You think so !

Maybe we should only let referees/ex referees mark and comment on officials, it is patently obvious we mere mortals are not fit to make a judgement. :twisted:

Yes, I think that is a good idea, because nobody NOTICED him last night, it was probably down to the fact that he never had to make a serious decision last night, not like the ref in Saturday. There was no difficult incidents of note, would like to have seen him perform in a more difficult game

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
A lot of the officials at this level don`t have to make a serious decision in a game but manage to spoil the flow with a need to be seen to referee, Mr Coggins was noticeable for not being noticeable. I`m sure the players on both sides appreciated his explaining decisions etc. to them. As Ian said, a breath of fresh air, more of the same please.

R

rdr123

Good 8/10. Could have given a few yellows to Northampton for persistent fouling but other than that I didn't really notice him

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It's funny how we would mark down a striker who we didn't notice during a game but the opersite for a referee. I do agree though that a ref came have a good game if you don't notice him but that's not the only way to judge his performance. If the players aren't playing within the laws of the game then he has no option but to be visible and noticeable.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Lundan/Martyn - i know you to be very pro refereeing (rightly so) - its often a thankless task where you cant really win, someone will always think the referee was poor, a cheat, incompetent - but to suggest its all down to pure player behaviour is absolute folly.

I dont know how busy your lives are, or whether you have the inclination to do so, but it you do get the opportunity, see if you can find a re-run of the Spurs v West Ham League Cup fixture that West Ham came back from 2-0 to win 3-2. The game was handled by Mike Dean, arguably the most high profile referee in the country. Now Mr Dean is a decent ref, who has it tough as he rarely tends to get anything other than high profile fixtures, consequently comes under the greatest scrutiny, he tends to rank mid to high when tables are published regarding cards issued by referee's which due to the high profile nature of the games he handles all make perfect sense. Now to my point, he has a history for cards produced in cup games, it was highlighted to me be a very high profile journalist who was asked by the Racing Post to study footballing trends. The game was a feisty encounter as a London derby often is between two teams with a bit of "history" often is, Carroll clattered both centre backs late, once with his elbow high, Noble twice pulled back Son in midfield when he'd got goal side of him, when West Ham went 3-2 up, Cresswell launched the ball 50 yards down field a good seconds after the whistle had blown - yet not once did Dean reach for a yellow card, in a league game i have absolutely no doubt he'd have issued between 4-6 cards. The offences were no different, the league cup is played under exactly the same rules as a league game, so why is the interpretation different?

I'm not saying the result would have been different, or it affected anyone's enjoyment of what was a fantastic game of football, but if you do watch the game, it will show that referees themselves often choose how liberally the enforce the laws, its not entirely down to player behaviour, do you think Noble, Carroll, Cresswell, Dembele, Alli etc played the game differently because it was a cup game? Is shirt pulling when a player is goal-side of you only an offence in a league game?

Clearly player behaviour is a dominating factor on how much a referee has to do, but its not the only factor!!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There are four offences that a referee can issue a yellow card for. Yes of course the referee's management of the game and how and when he issues these cautions is what separates the better referees but the point still remains that if the players don't commit those four offences, nobody gets booked at all. If we want consistency then the yellow card should come out every time.... but is that really what we want to see or do we want to encourage more Mike Deans?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
"If the players aren't playing within the laws of the game then he has no option but to be visible and noticeable".

I assume that statement is true in all levels of football in all competitions?
So if one of the top referees applies laws differently to a Saturday/Sunday Premier league game as he does to a midweek cup game, how are the players solely to be blamed for how noticeable a referee is?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Do you also believe if you put a tooth under your pillow tonight it will be a £1 coin in the morning?

Watch the game i mentioned LC and tell me straight Mike Dean reacts the same way as he would a premier league game, in his last 80 fixtures only on three occasions has he shown no yellows, two of those were cup games (only 5 of his previous 80 fixtures were cup games) - he as referee and sole chief of fair or foul play appears to take a very different attitude onto the pitch, depending of the type of game he officiates. Fouls that are clear yellow cards he decides to turn a blind eye to.

Please dont think i'm anti-referees, far from it, just your refusal to accept the its not just the players who contribute to how noticeable a referee is.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
leave the link and I will try to see where you are coming from when I am at my PC. Are you saying though that his decisions were not based on events on the field and he made stuff up?

C

Charles Plym

Lundan Cabbie":26n4v5r2 said:
leave the link and I will try to see where you are coming from when I am at my PC. Are you saying though that his decisions were not based on events on the field and he made stuff up?
he appears to be saying his tollerance level fluctuates as much as players behaviour does this both has an effect on cards issued......i think !