Portsmouth Match Thread (starting on page 5) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Portsmouth Match Thread (starting on page 5)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Biggs":2muh19bh said:
It feels like banging your head against a brick wall sometimes, but 5th in the form table over the last 6 games before today isn’t ‘terrible’.

Not sure what position it is now, but win v Gillingham and it will be back up to about that. Again, it’s utterly crucial to see that we are bottom because of a shocking run of results and reds in September. Keep doing what we’re doing now and we’ll be fine, hopefully with some quality acquisitions in January.

If we continue this form we'll finish on 51pts.

Apr 29, 2016
Tugboat":sd4bk6qj said:
jerryatricjanner":sd4bk6qj said:
Biggs":sd4bk6qj said:
Tugboat":sd4bk6qj said:
Biggs":sd4bk6qj said:
Never mind, onto next week. As disappointing as today is, we carry on winning every other week and we'll be more than fine.
Yeah cause we've been winning every other game for the past few months :banghead:

Well we have for the last few weeks, I'm not sure how some posters can't see how we haven't turned the corner after a catastrophic start.

That catastrophic start and run of red cards is the reason we're bottom. Our current form is almost play off standard.
I largely agree. Some of the drama queens need to look at the overall picture. 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats from our last 9 games is the sort of form that will gradually take us to safety. It's a whole heap better than what preceded that run.

90% of the wins have been all but unconvincing.

It beggars belief that some think because we have been utterly terrible in the past the fact the football and results are now only just terrible, we take that as a positive and remain positive!!

This setup and structure wont get us out of trouble this season. The biggest chance we have is hoping that 4 other teams are even worse than us. Maybe Taylor and Oscar will have a positive effect but the problem still stops at Adams tactics and setup.

Sums up a glass half empty. “Four teams worse than us” rather than “we’re better than four teams”. Does it stick in your throat to say it?

Mar 14, 2009
Biggs":mlic7v8u said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":mlic7v8u said:
The problem is......

Our playoff form only occurs when we score first. Its relegation form if we concede first. You cant keep losing games if you concede first.

You cant expect Argyle to survive relegation if they cant draw, let alone win games when they are behind. Look at the games this season and when Argyle have conceded first. You cant keep expecting Argyle to score the first goal in matches for the rest of the season either.

Yes, but we don’t need to score first in every game. Assuming we win when we score first, then doing it once every three games should see us safe. We may also sign the players in January who can make that ratio a bit better, especially now that DA has a better indication of what’s required.

Agree that it’s mightily disappointing that we can’t come from behind, but there is no way that we should or (more importantly) will make a managerial change any time soon. The end of the season is a better time to have that conversation, whether we stay up or not.

I feel sorry for the people making a huge mile round trip to watch a side who didn't test their keeper all game.

Even if l were to agree his tactics will make us survive he is sucking the life out of Argyle in terms of watching them.

I'm sure he will bring in more players. Yet the issue is the way he makes the players play in his system. Sarcevic gets a lot of stick. Adams sticks him in the side as CDM or CM. Yet his best period of football in his career was as a player who broke into the box. Yet under Adams system he is restricted in a defensive straight jacket.

When Adams first came to the club l was very excited about what he would bring in terms of the style of football. However, little by little, we have become gradually more defensive minded under him to the point it's not about how we are going to hurt the opposition but how we can nullify the opposition players. Surely that is a bad mentality and approach to have?

Apr 29, 2016
Tugboat":3qjafmfn said:
jerryatricjanner":3qjafmfn said:
Biggs":3qjafmfn said:
Tugboat":3qjafmfn said:
Biggs":3qjafmfn said:
Never mind, onto next week. As disappointing as today is, we carry on winning every other week and we'll be more than fine.
Yeah cause we've been winning every other game for the past few months :banghead:

Well we have for the last few weeks, I'm not sure how some posters can't see how we haven't turned the corner after a catastrophic start.

That catastrophic start and run of red cards is the reason we're bottom. Our current form is almost play off standard.
I largely agree. Some of the drama queens need to look at the overall picture. 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats from our last 9 games is the sort of form that will gradually take us to safety. It's a whole heap better than what preceded that run.

It beggars belief that some think because we have been utterly terrible in the past the fact the football and results are now only just terrible, we take that as a positive and remain positive!!

This setup and structure wont get us out of trouble this season. The biggest chance we have is hoping that 4 other teams are even worse than us. Maybe Taylor and Oscar will have a positive effect but the problem still stops at Adams tactics and setup.

Sums up a glass half empty. “Four teams worse than us” rather than “we’re better than four teams”. Does it stick in your throat to say it?

Dec 3, 2005
ONE shot on target - shocked

The people blaming Matthews for the goal, yes you are right - but what about the saves he made!!

What about our attackers (lol) MISSING the target.

Goalkeepers make a mistake and it usually ends in a goal, outfield players make numerous mistakes and get away with it, generally, thats football. But it is obvious that we have no idea of where the goal is, no idea of how to put the ball in the net.

Go behind and you can put your house on Argyle losing - its groundhog day!

Why did the FA or FIFA change the kick-off rule? It was the only time I saw Argyle with TWO upfront lol

Yes the next two home matches are critical, we NEED SIX points, none of this 4 point crap anymore, there are FOUR teams relegated this season and we are bottom of the 4 - things need to improve and before the turn of the year.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
philmeboots":ilsqbbcf said:
Tugboat":ilsqbbcf said:
jerryatricjanner":ilsqbbcf said:
Biggs":ilsqbbcf said:
Tugboat":ilsqbbcf said:
Biggs":ilsqbbcf said:

Not really.

What does stick in my throat are the pee poor tactics, stubbornness to change things, the toothless threat on goal, the anonymous midfield, poor substitutions, poor signings and not using them, discipline, league position, Home form and entertainment and green tints that see nothing wrong with our current plight.

Apr 9, 2011
If by some miracle we do avoid relegation ,Adams has proved to be stubborn & negative & that will be all we can look forward to whatever league we are in.! Bring in someone else to at least see if they can get more out of what we have cant do any worse surely?

Apr 29, 2016
Yeah cause we've been winning every other game for the past few months :banghead:[/quote]

That catastrophic start and run of red cards is the reason we're bottom. Our current form is almost play off standard.[/quote]
I largely agree. Some of the drama queens need to look at the overall picture. 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats from our last 9 games is the sort of form that will gradually take us to safety. It's a whole heap better than what preceded that run.[/quote]

This setup and structure wont get us out of trouble this season. The biggest chance we have is hoping that 4 other teams are even worse than us. Maybe Taylor and Oscar will have a positive effect but the problem still stops at Adams tactics and setup.[/quote]

Sums up a glass half empty. “Four teams worse than us” rather than “we’re better than four teams”. Does it stick in your throat to say it?[/quote]

Not really.

What does stick in my throat are the pi$$ poor tactics, stubbornness to change things, the toothless threat on goal, the anonymous midfield, poor substitutions, poor signings and not using them, discipline, league position, Home form and entertainment and green tints that see nothing wrong with our current plight.[/quote]

I’m surprised with that list that you bother supporting the team. Oh wait ....

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The easy option would be not too.

I’m bitter, angry, emotional, fed up and probably clouded in judgment because of the position we are in.

If I could flick the switch off and leave it I would. There’s little joy at the moment.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":3jze2qwu said:
Biggs":3jze2qwu said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3jze2qwu said:
The problem is......

Our playoff form only occurs when we score first. Its relegation form if we concede first. You cant keep losing games if you concede first.

You cant expect Argyle to survive relegation if they cant draw, let alone win games when they are behind. Look at the games this season and when Argyle have conceded first. You cant keep expecting Argyle to score the first goal in matches for the rest of the season either.

Yes, but we don’t need to score first in every game. Assuming we win when we score first, then doing it once every three games should see us safe. We may also sign the players in January who can make that ratio a bit better, especially now that DA has a better indication of what’s required.

Agree that it’s mightily disappointing that we can’t come from behind, but there is no way that we should or (more importantly) will make a managerial change any time soon. The end of the season is a better time to have that conversation, whether we stay up or not.

I feel sorry for the people making a huge mile round trip to watch a side who didn't test their keeper all game.

Even if l were to agree his tactics will make us survive he is sucking the life out of Argyle in terms of watching them.

I'm sure he will bring in more players. Yet the issue is the way he makes the players play in his system. Sarcevic gets a lot of stick. Adams sticks him in the side as CDM or CM. Yet his best period of football in his career was as a player who broke into the box. Yet under Adams system he is restricted in a defensive straight jacket.

When Adams first came to the club l was very excited about what he would bring in terms of the style of football. However, little by little, we have become gradually more defensive minded under him to the point it's not about how we are going to hurt the opposition but how we can nullify the opposition players. Surely that is a bad mentality and approach to have?
Mickey - your are right on many points here but tbh mate, I don't see Sarcevic even breaking into a sweat, yet alone breaking into someone's penalty box. He was a passenger today.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":qc2xcdo9 said:
It feels like banging your head against a brick wall sometimes, but 5th in the form table over the last 6 games before today isn’t ‘terrible’.

Not sure what position it is now, but win v Gillingham and it will be back up to about that. Again, it’s utterly crucial to see that we are bottom because of a shocking run of results and reds in September. Keep doing what we’re doing now and we’ll be fine, hopefully with some quality acquisitions in January.

:facepalm: So not only have you selected your own League table but put in the caveat 'BEFORE' today. What about form over the last game? Or last 3 games? Or here's a thing the whole season? Ridiculous!

Balham_Green":qbl9zpev said:
:facepalm: So not only have you selected your own League table but put in the caveat 'BEFORE' today. What about form over the last game? Or last 3 games? Or here's a thing the whole season? Ridiculous!

I have a new game where I try to guess the poster by his contribution. I'm one for one so far.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
wightboy":1hy4s80e said:
This was never going to be a game where we were expected to get anything so we slog on and look forward to next week. Imagine DA has some transfer window targets to strengthen and give us some much needed bite in the not too distant weeks.
Why not ? They were there for the taking if we had went for it, poorest Pompey side in a few years

G

Greenskin

pearces greens":7bc1bfb7 said:
wightboy":7bc1bfb7 said:
This was never going to be a game where we were expected to get anything so we slog on and look forward to next week. Imagine DA has some transfer window targets to strengthen and give us some much needed bite in the not too distant weeks.
Why not ? They were there for the taking if we had went for it, poorest Pompey side in a few years

Not exactly confirmed by the league table.