Pompey v Argyle Sold Out (for home fans) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pompey v Argyle Sold Out (for home fans)

Jun 5, 2010
I've preferred games against Bristol City than Exeter in the past, there's been some cracking atmospheres. Not a local rival though, or maybe a West country rival after Rovers then Swindon. As for Portsmouth,what I remember, there was a rivalry in the eighties, and pompey fans from those days will tell you the same.Southampton were always in the top flight, so like us now, they probably needed a rival.

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
PennyX":lfy0zklm said:
I've preferred games against Bristol City than Exeter in the past, there's been some cracking atmospheres. Not a local rival though, or maybe a West country rival after Rovers then Swindon. As for Portsmouth,what I remember, there was a rivalry in the eighties, and pompey fans from those days will tell you the same.Southampton were always in the top flight, so like us now, they probably needed a rival.

I worked near Portsmouth for 18 years from the late 80's until i moved back to Devon. I met literally hundreds of Portsmouth fans during that time, still have a few good mates up there. Not one of them saw us as any sort of rival. Some of them talked about '83, some the '80 league cup game, a few talked about the odd 70's game, but they didn't see us any differently to any club other than Southampton and Millwall. They were their rivals. A couple of those games in the 80's are notorious in Plymouth because of the violence caused by them, but they did that everywhere back then. We were nothing special. Many of the games through the 80's at HP, though, were surprisingly poorly attended by them. I remember being disappointing how few they brought in the couple of seasons after the 80 league cup game, until the 83 game of course.

So, rivalry in the 80's? No. And the point you make about Southampton being in the top flight so they needed another rival couldn't be more wrong. The fact that Southampton were successful and they hadn't played them for so long actually increased the rivalry to such an extent that when they played them again in the late 80's it was world war three. This is what I don't get about many on here who don't see Exeter as our rival. Yes, we are a bigger club, yes, we have been in higher divisions for periods (although not as often as we think - we've only played 7 clubs more times in the league), yes they'll probably never be able to sustain more than a few seasons in tier 2, but so what! To me, if we haven't played them for a few seasons, it just makes them more exciting games. WE just need to get over it and accept that Exeter are our rivals, not Portsmouth, Bristol C or R, Swindon, Burnley or Luton!

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
well I suppose opposing clubs mean different different things to different Argyle fans. I've never thought of Exeter as a serious rival. Growing up in the 80's we had some cracking games with Bristol City and Rovers - they were the West Country derbies! Great occasions home and away. I lived in Bristol back then, and many of their fans looked forward to the games too. Used to make me smile when a couple referred to us as 'Argyle'

Aug 14, 2015
Thanks Duke, willgreen, pennyx and Monkeynuts..That answers my question. Lets just hope we can ( PAFC and PFC) both get out out of this division

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
The Duke":30xoflg9 said:
well I suppose opposing clubs mean different different things to different Argyle fans. I've never thought of Exeter as a serious rival. Growing up in the 80's we had some cracking games with Bristol City and Rovers - they were the West Country derbies! Great occasions home and away. I lived in Bristol back then, and many of their fans looked forward to the games too. Used to make me smile when a couple referred to us as 'Argyle'

Yeh you're right about the City games in the 80's, there were some good ones and there did seem to be a bit of a rivalry starting. That away cup tie up there in '87 was fantastic, great atmosphere. We were a league higher than them that season and they were well up for knocking us off our perch as top team in the westcountry. The games against them in the late noughties were tasty as well. I suppose this is the closest I've felt to another side other than Exeter being a rival.

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
ford hill POMPEY fan":3rsxggwz said:
Thanks Duke, willgreen, pennyx and Monkeynuts..That answers my question. Lets just hope we can ( PAFC and PFC) both get out out of this division

Totally agree with that. I Would prefer to have a couple of great game against Portsmouth to look forward to in League 1 next year than a game against some northern side bringing 200 fans to HP or a 5 hour drive away. Same for Exeter. I hope they go up. I hate them, but I'd rather be playing them.

Aug 14, 2015
Totally agree with that. I Would prefer to have a couple of great game against Portsmouth to look forward to in League 1 next year than a game against some northern side bringing 200 fans to HP or a 5 hour drive away. Same for Exeter. I hope they go up. I hate them, but I'd rather be playing them.[/quote]

agreed mate..I have a grecian mate in Plymouth and go to Pompey games at St james with him sometimes and i have a couple of Greens fans who i meet in the Britt before and/or after games...so i want them to go up too, shame Yeovil can't do it too.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
willgreen78":2shzst39 said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":2shzst39 said:

Totally agree with that. I Would prefer to have a couple of great game against Portsmouth to look forward to in League 1 next year than a game against some northern side bringing 200 fans to HP or a 5 hour drive away. Same for Exeter. I hope they go up. I hate them, but I'd rather be playing them.
Me too.

The challenge is going to be finding somewhere in Enniskillen to watch the game ...

Oct 21, 2016
Does anyone know when the away tickets are likely to go on sale for this game? With a little over three weeks to go and it being a high profile fixture, I thought they may have been out by now. Cheers.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Mbw1988":2mdeascm said:
Does anyone know when the away tickets are likely to go on sale for this game? With a little over three weeks to go and it being a high profile fixture, I thought they may have been out by now. Cheers.

I emailed club today, no date set yet. It "could" be next week.

I'd expect Monday.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Mbw1988":ioi59fzs said:
At the start of the season and for the past few years it has always been about three weeks before a game that they go on sale. However since the Liverpool game, for whatever reason, it has been two weeks.

BlueinPL20

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Oct 14, 2016
Andy_S":34k98srj said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":34k98srj said:
Guiri Green":34k98srj said:
Thought they didn't care about us ;)
Mate, it seems that you just don't get it do you..I really don't want to be rude or sound aggressive, and this aint an attack..but Devon Blue and me are residents of this fine county, so we do care, hence why we are on YOUR PASOTI..I care about Argyle as they are MY LOCAL TEAM..I do want them to go up and generally do well... I do go along to Home Park occasionally, but prefer to use want spare cash i have for footie, on travelling the 300 mile round trip to FP ( my true love-not the mistress), or away grounds where PFC are playing

However ..in PORTSMOUTH..the 150 miles away Hampshire city, PLYMOUTH ARGYLE were USUALLY seen in no different light that that of Oxford or Swindon..another southern club that we we played sometimes...who would bring a few to FP.. That is not a slur on your great green club, just factual..

However because you beat us in a play off semi last year and then some of your more stupid fans goaded us when they ran on the pitch afterwards, your profile has been raised.

I just struggle to know why Plymouth have always had a bit of thing, an almost local derby-ish type thing.. for Pompey..is it just 1983.
if some sensible can let me know i will be grateful..

1983?

Bloody hell sunshine, you need to learn a little bit about the history of your club AND where it sits with Argyle!

I can go back to the '60s when the "Battle of the Ports" was just that! My dad had many stories about the "Battles" in the late 40s and 50s when we played each other regularly.

Gillingham tried to "muscle in" back in the '70s with Chatham but it was very short lived.

Pompey never played Argyle in the League in the thirties, forties and only in October 1959 in the fifties. In fact from 1923 until 1959 we did not play each other in the League at all!

May 16, 2016
BlueinPL20":1mqoqa32 said:
Andy_S":1mqoqa32 said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":1mqoqa32 said:
Guiri Green":1mqoqa32 said:
Thought they didn't care about us ;)
Mate, it seems that you just don't get it do you..I really don't want to be rude or sound aggressive, and this aint an attack..but Devon Blue and me are residents of this fine county, so we do care, hence why we are on YOUR PASOTI..I care about Argyle as they are MY LOCAL TEAM..I do want them to go up and generally do well... I do go along to Home Park occasionally, but prefer to use want spare cash i have for footie, on travelling the 300 mile round trip to FP ( my true love-not the mistress), or away grounds where PFC are playing

However ..in PORTSMOUTH..the 150 miles away Hampshire city, PLYMOUTH ARGYLE were USUALLY seen in no different light that that of Oxford or Swindon..another southern club that we we played sometimes...who would bring a few to FP.. That is not a slur on your great green club, just factual..

However because you beat us in a play off semi last year and then some of your more stupid fans goaded us when they ran on the pitch afterwards, your profile has been raised.

I just struggle to know why Plymouth have always had a bit of thing, an almost local derby-ish type thing.. for Pompey..is it just 1983.
if some sensible can let me know i will be grateful..

1983?

Bloody hell sunshine, you need to learn a little bit about the history of your club AND where it sits with Argyle!

I can go back to the '60s when the "Battle of the Ports" was just that! My dad had many stories about the "Battles" in the late 40s and 50s when we played each other regularly.

Gillingham tried to "muscle in" back in the '70s with Chatham but it was very short lived.

Pompey never played Argyle in the League in the thirties, forties and only in October 1959 in the fifties. In fact from 1923 until 1959 we did not play each other in the League at all!

None of which is relevant to my Grandson in his Season Ticket holding years. To him and his generation, you are just another L2 Club, albeit one with good support.

The rest is just something on Google. Wembly, PL and FA Cups just a Wikipedia entry. That is the reality of the here and now. Not much will change for quite sometime.