Pompey v Argyle Sold Out (for home fans) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pompey v Argyle Sold Out (for home fans)

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
ford hill pompey fan is a troll. He raises his stupid head on here a few weeks before EVERY Argyle v portsmouth game. You'll see him pop up every day in this period, and the pattern of his posts will be: troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, MATCHDAY, troll, troll, troll! Then GONE!!! for another 6 months, until we play them again. The guy is a parasite. The sooner the Moderators on this site see this and ban the twonk, the better.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
ford hill POMPEY fan":16od3mcu said:
Guiri Green":16od3mcu said:
Thought they didn't care about us ;)
Mate, it seems that you just don't get it do you..I really don't want to be rude or sound aggressive, and this aint an attack..but Devon Blue and me are residents of this fine county, so we do care, hence why we are on YOUR PASOTI..I care about Argyle as they are MY LOCAL TEAM..I do want them to go up and generally do well... I do go along to Home Park occasionally, but prefer to use want spare cash i have for footie, on travelling the 300 mile round trip to FP ( my true love-not the mistress), or away grounds where PFC are playing

However ..in PORTSMOUTH..the 150 miles away Hampshire city, PLYMOUTH ARGYLE were USUALLY seen in no different light that that of Oxford or Swindon..another southern club that we we played sometimes...who would bring a few to FP.. That is not a slur on your great green club, just factual..

However because you beat us in a play off semi last year and then some of your more stupid fans goaded us when they ran on the pitch afterwards, your profile has been raised.

I just struggle to know why Plymouth have always had a bit of thing, an almost local derby-ish type thing.. for Pompey..is it just 1983.
if some sensible can let me know i will be grateful..

1983?

Bloody hell sunshine, you need to learn a little bit about the history of your club AND where it sits with Argyle!

I can go back to the '60s when the "Battle of the Ports" was just that! My dad had many stories about the "Battles" in the late 40s and 50s when we played each other regularly.

Gillingham tried to "muscle in" back in the '70s with Chatham but it was very short lived.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
Andy_S":3mesflco said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":3mesflco said:
Guiri Green":3mesflco said:
Mate, it seems that you just don't get it do you..I really don't want to be rude or sound aggressive, and this aint an attack..but Devon Blue and me are residents of this fine county, so we do care, hence why we are on YOUR PASOTI..I care about Argyle as they are MY LOCAL TEAM..I do want them to go up and generally do well... I do go along to Home Park occasionally, but prefer to use want spare cash i have for footie, on travelling the 300 mile round trip to FP ( my true love-not the mistress), or away grounds where PFC are playing

However ..in PORTSMOUTH..the 150 miles away Hampshire city, PLYMOUTH ARGYLE were USUALLY seen in no different light that that of Oxford or Swindon..another southern club that we we played sometimes...who would bring a few to FP.. That is not a slur on your great green club, just factual..

However because you beat us in a play off semi last year and then some of your more stupid fans goaded us when they ran on the pitch afterwards, your profile has been raised.

I just struggle to know why Plymouth have always had a bit of thing, an almost local derby-ish type thing.. for Pompey..is it just 1983.

1983?

Bloody hell sunshine, you need to learn a little bit about the history of your club AND where it sits with Argyle!

I can go back to the '60s when the "Battle of the Ports" was just that! My dad had many stories about the "Battles" in the late 40s and 50s when we played each other regularly.

Gillingham tried to "muscle in" back in the '70s with Chatham but it was very short lived.

I''m old enough to have been at the games in the 50's and 60''s. They were one of the biggest games of the season. In the days when sailors went ashore in uniform, the majority cheered for Pompey regardless of where they came from, which added to the atmosphere. Needless to say at Fratton Park they all cheered for Argyle. Shore Patrols were on the pitch side of the railings and added to the entertainment by throwing out drunken sailors to cheers and chants from the crowd. A real match experience.

Mar 8, 2016
I don't see Pompey as any kind of Derby match, I see it as a big match in this league because we are the two biggest clubs in this league and both are chasing promotion. Some fans wont like this, but Exeter are our grudge rivals, no matter how much some people try to to say otherwise.

Oct 16, 2016
I lived in Pompey for a while, dog poo city as I prefer to call it.

There's a reason it's situated as it is, it allows it to be perfectly positioned to be the toilet of the UK

Oct 16, 2016
Army green":3dw7v5qn said:
I don't see Pompey as any kind of Derby match, I see it as a big match in this league because we are the two biggest clubs in this league and both are chasing promotion. Some fans wont like this, but Exeter are our grudge rivals, no matter how much some people try to to say otherwise.

Nah, Exeter is a Derby by distance only, they've never been a team that's amounted to anything or provided real competition.

A bit of a distraction only

Mar 8, 2016
Shankster":oa5dp494 said:
Army green":oa5dp494 said:

Nah, Exeter is a Derby by distance only, they've never been a team that's amounted to anything or provided real competition.

A bit of a distraction only

Of course the distance plays a part, that's why we are local rivals, just like the majority of Derby matches across the country. I've seen us play Exeter far more times than against Portsmouth but the feeling towards the Exeter match is much more intense, The build up, the atmosphere. Pompey is just a big game in this league, put us together in the championship and it becomes just another match, put us and Exeter together in any league and it's a big match. Just my opinion of course.

May 16, 2016
ford hill POMPEY fan":2gm0uzj5 said:
Guiri Green":2gm0uzj5 said:

if some sensible can let me know i will be grateful...

Two of you in Devon. I was rreferring to the hoards in Hampshire who have no time for us. The ones who don't give a hoot but sell out before ours go on sale.

Sorry if my one line winky response prompted an essay on your behalf.

Thanks for your support of the local team and economy.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
George Willis":21ldbj4j said:
Andy_S":21ldbj4j said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":21ldbj4j said:
Guiri Green":21ldbj4j said:

1983?

I''m old enough to have been at the games in the 50's and 60''s. They were one of the biggest games of the season. In the days when sailors went ashore in uniform, the majority cheered for Pompey regardless of where they came from, which added to the atmosphere. Needless to say at Fratton Park they all cheered for Argyle. Shore Patrols were on the pitch side of the railings and added to the entertainment by throwing out drunken sailors to cheers and chants from the crowd. A real match experience.

Ha! Tell me about it...especially at Fratton Park.

There was always even more needle when it was Field Gun season and the run up to Earl's Court.

:lol:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
ford hill POMPEY fan":3iod947w said:

I remember going to that game.
That was around the period when Pompey fans used to smash up the Britannia on a yearly basis.

B

Blue_in_Devon

Following on from some of the comments made on this thread:

Curious to know more about these Argyle vs Pompey clashes in the 1940s or 50s. PFC were ever-present in the old division one between 1927 and 1959 and, without wishing to rub salt into your wounded pride, PAFC have never appeared in the top flight!

Regarding ticket demand for the game on Good Friday. Obviously it's a more attractive fixture than PFC vs Newport or Yeovil so there's a decent demand for tickets among our fans. However, due to the segregation / Health & Safety policy at FP, the Argyle game will attract one of the smallest home attendances of the season as there's less than 16,000 tickets for Pompey fans - our average gate to date is around 16,700. Hence the rush to buy the tickets early.

The Milton End has 3,200 seats but it's current capacity is a shade over 2,800. However, whenever the away team bring 1,400+ then the rest of the end has to be kept empty. Hopefully your boys will fill it otherwise we'll be left with more empty seats which is what happened when Luton brought 1,500 to us. For the less well supported teams - i.e. everyone else in league 2 - they bring anything from 50 (Accringon) to 1,000 (Exeter) which leaves up to 1,400 available for home fans (plus the usual 16,000).

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
Blue_in_Devon":15l84oyt said:
Following on from some of the comments made on this thread:

Curious to know more about these Argyle vs Pompey clashes in the 1940s or 50s. PFC were ever-present in the old division one between 1927 and 1959 and, without wishing to rub salt into your wounded pride, PAFC have never appeared in the top flight!

Regarding ticket demand for the game on Good Friday. Obviously it's a more attractive fixture than PFC vs Newport or Yeovil so there's a decent demand for tickets among our fans. However, due to the segregation / Health & Safety policy at FP, the Argyle game will attract one of the smallest home attendances of the season as there's less than 16,000 tickets for Pompey fans - our average gate to date is around 16,700. Hence the rush to buy the tickets early.

The Milton End has 3,200 seats but it's current capacity is a shade over 2,800. However, whenever the away team bring 1,400+ then the rest of the end has to be kept empty. Hopefully your boys will fill it otherwise we'll be left with more empty seats which is what happened when Luton brought 1,500 to us. For the less well supported teams - i.e. everyone else in league 2 - they bring anything from 50 (Accringon) to 1,000 (Exeter) which leaves up to 1,400 available for home fans (plus the usual 16,000).

You are forgetting the 1945/46 season when both teams were in the post war League South. The away game against Pompey in the 59/60 season was played in October which makes it a fifties game.

M

Monkey Nuts

ford hill POMPEY fan":3t85ylxx said:
Guiri Green":3t85ylxx said:

It's Argyle...we(not me) like to clutch at straws for a decent rival.
Many Argyle fans are the same with Bristol City as well... another team who quite frankly, see us as nothing more than just another game.
It's because we're so starved of a decent local rivalry, other than that of Exeter.
It's all a bit needy and embarrassing, like the US/UK 'special relationship' which only UK media and politicians go on about.

I've lived in Bristol for 4 years, and spent the best part of two years in Portsmouth, and I've never met anyone, in either place, who even registers Argyle on the rivalry scale.