Oldest living Argyle Player | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Oldest living Argyle Player

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
kernow19":102o6yzh said:
Not an Argyle player, but Boscastle boy Dudley Kernick, born in 1921 and still going strong, played for Birmingham City, Exeter, Torquay and others during his career.
This is a good shout for Torquay and the whole picture as he definitely pre-dates Ivor Broadis. Dudley was born Camelford 29 August 1921. His only League appearances were for Torquay and although he was registered for Northampton and Birmingham he never actually played for either of them in a first team game.

May 22, 2006
Marcus Montague Murphy was 89 when he ran around the pitch and looked in fine fettle.

He was still alive a few years later when I asked someone. Can't remember whom.

I know it's a long shot, he'd be 102 now, but....does anyone know?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knarf Reprah":1zemtc9a said:
Johnny Newman?
Younger than Gordon Astall when the two played together in the 1956 Cup Final. John was born in 1933 so will be 84 in December this year.

Feb 28, 2016
Ham Green":3ip0otsu said:
Marcus Montague Murphy was 89 when he ran around the pitch and looked in fine fettle.

Thought his name was Marcus but couldn't remember his surname for the life of me.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
memory man":b8x3ispt said:
kernow19":b8x3ispt said:
Not an Argyle player, but Boscastle boy Dudley Kernick, born in 1921 and still going strong, played for Birmingham City, Exeter, Torquay and others during his career.
This is a good shout for Torquay and the whole picture as he definitely pre-dates Ivor Broadis. Dudley was born Camelford 29 August 1921. His only League appearances were for Torquay and although he was registered for Northampton and Birmingham he never actually played for either of them in a first team game.

I believe he lives in USA now and although not in the best of health, is still pretty sharp. Even has his own Facebook page. :thumbs:

If you can get hold of a copy on ebay, his autobiography "Who The Hell Was Dudley Kernick?" is a damn good football read.

Aug 11, 2013
MarkMatthews":1vniivop said:
Ham Green":1vniivop said:

Thought his name was Marcus but couldn't remember his surname for the life of me.

Sadly I found an entry in the death index on Ancestry for one Marcus Montague Murphy in 2007. Think it's a match because dob was 1911. God bless him - never forget the run around the pitch that day.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
kernow19":3w1widgs said:
memory man":3w1widgs said:
kernow19":3w1widgs said:

I believe he lives in USA now and although not in the best of health, is still pretty sharp. Even has his own Facebook page. :thumbs:

If you can get hold of a copy on ebay, his autobiography "Who The Hell Was Dudley Kernick?" is a damn good football read.
Thanks to the power of PASOTI (and the huge assistance from Kernow 19) the co-ordinators will be in touch with Dudley Kernick very soon. They tell me that whilst he is likely to be the oldest, he will be in the top 7. There is an Argyle link as Kernick played with Ellis Stuttard at Torquay.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
memory man":3gythqx0 said:
kernow19":3gythqx0 said:
memory man":3gythqx0 said:
kernow19":3gythqx0 said:

Thanks to the power of PASOTI (and the huge assistance from Kernow 19) the co-ordinators will be in touch with Dudley Kernick very soon. They tell me that whilst he is likely to be the oldest, he will be in the top 7. There is an Argyle link as Kernick played with Ellis Stuttard at Torquay.

:thumbs:

Dec 21, 2010
Marcus Montague Murphy - what a legend ! So glad he made it to the grand old age of 96. That celebration run was a piece of history !!

Oct 31, 2015
Ham Green":2n70d0cn said:

Remember this well. He ran the length of the pitch down the Lyndhyrst side to a fsntastic cheer. No mean feat at 89 back then. I think we had a legends day and loads of ex players were on the pitch. Ad argyledad states s bit of Argyle History. God bless him. Rest easy Pilgrim

Feb 28, 2016
rsp4":3kgkyece said:
Ham Green":3kgkyece said:

Remember this well. He ran the length of the pitch down the Lyndhyrst side to a fsntastic cheer. No mean feat at 89 back then. I think we had a legends day and loads of ex players were on the pitch. Ad argyledad states s bit of Argyle History. God bless him. Rest easy Pilgrim

IIRC it was the centenary parade. I think we had a symbolic 100 ex players come back. Wouldn't call it a legends day as people like Martin Barlow weren't invited back even though he is arguably a bigger "legend" than MMM. I stand to be corrected but he didn't make all that many appearances or do anything particularly spectacular nor was he involved in any spectacular team(?) Simply there for being, at the time, our oldest living player.