Let's fill up Home Park Vs Pompey !!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's fill up Home Park Vs Pompey !!!

T

Tyhee_Slim

Just looking at the attendance at last night's Bournemouth v Brighton game.

Bournemouth, off the back of an 8-0 away win at Birmingham and a League Cup win against WBA went second in the Championship after winning 3-2.

This is, undoubtedly, the most exciting time in the club's history. It was a local derby (of sorts). The crowd? 10,166.

Extenuating circumstances are, I suppose, that the match was live on tv and that the capacity of their ground is only 12000. It could well be that the 'home' areas of the ground were sold out and that many Brighton fans saved their dosh and watched it on telly.

Anyway, three things.

1. I reckon the gate puts our crowds this season (and when were in the Championship) into some sort of perspective, even allowing that Bournemouth's capacity is so low.

2. Could this be seen as a good enough reason to admit that having too small a capacity will restrict a club's potential to progress. With the best will in the world, were Bournemouth to actually achieve promotion it would, I think, be impossible for them to pay the sort of salaries required to build a team to be competitive in the Prem. It could be that the team they have built would survive for a season but, if that was the case, some would inevitably be sold and unless Eddie Howe can somehow continue to find these gems it would only be a matter of time before relegation, an exodus of players and, very likely, a downward spiral.

3. Fair play to Bournemouth BUT, once again, when the f*** will it be our turn? I'm sick of seeing so many of these clubs succeeding where we've failed, and this is probably, in recent years, the most exceptional. This is a club that has NEVER looked like achieving anything like this, barring a brief spell in the seventies - the McDougall/Boyer era - and has happened not only quickly, but so doon after having to start a season in League Two with a seventeen point deduction. As I said, you have to admire it but, to be honest, it also makes me feel a bit sick.

I suppose the bust will eventually follow the boom, but Jeez they must be enjoying every minute right now. It would be no different for us, and would be unsustainable in the long term I guess, though we may have better foundations than Bournemouth, but cant we just for once live the dream?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Steve Evans":3a2xhha0 said:
Monkey Nuts":3a2xhha0 said:
As a season ticket holder, I consider that I get a damn good deal for my 23 matches. And I'll say for the record that I have no issue whatsoever with match day price drop deals for non ST holders! If the club thinks it's what is needed to put bums on seats, I'd much rather see a fuller ground!!
:iagree: :clap:

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Tyhee_Slim":1dpumcnb said:
IJN":1dpumcnb said:
That posts says everything Slim. :clap:

Read what I say and try not to simply write what you seem to want to get off your chest.

I'll repeat a few things though, as that seems to be way on internet forums, that way it must be the truth.

If I lived away from Plymouth I wouldn't have been as dedicated as I have been that's for sure.

I assume 'disposable income' includes spending money on booze, copious amounts of it, ever Friday and Saturday. If it does, then I stand by what I say, without doubt there's still plenty of it about.

'Half decent' was aimed at those people that watch the 'EPL' because compared to them our footballers are only 50% there, but honest players they are, no matter what people hear on the radio or from their 'friends'.

So witter on all you want about the price of eggs, Argyle are playing some nice stuff, they are getting their act together and as I said all the excuse to not attend are put aside when a big game comes up.

So carry on being a working class hero if you want, beat your drum if you want, have a dig about what you hear on the internet if you want. But I recognise it as bollox.

Hope that's clear enough old boy.

I can't quite comprehend why you're accusing me of misunderstanding what you're getting at when, quite clearly, you're doing the same. So, to take the points on this specific post one by one, and allowing that they all dovetail to a large extent:
The 'disposable income' thing:

I don't care how you dress it up, the fact is that the majority of people do only have so much to spend on entertainment and leisure activities. Like it or not, football is more than ever before (and it always has been to an extent) part of the entertainment/leisure industry. A lot of people will choose to use their limited supply of spondoolicks to go out drinking, and many of these will not consider a night's drinking a 'success' unless they get absolutely ratarsed. It's a bit more public now I think due to people drinking outside and the nature of the way people behave, but this has always been a part of life. People like to let off steam at a weekend and drinking heavily and/or going to football have long been two of the more traditional ways of doing it. I believe, based on things you've written on here in the past, that you dont drink, and I know that a lot of your spare time is taken up with Argyle related stuff, be it attending matches or getting involved with fundraising and other admirable activities. Fair play to you for both those things, I wouldn't dream of criticising you for either of them but in return I would expect you to respect my choice of what I do with my spare time and what others do.

Also, there are certain types of drinking establishment that recognised long ago that people have only so much to spend on boozing. Rather than joining the ranks of all these 'traditional' pubs that are reportedly closing down by the score every month they sort of reinvented themselves and put on loads of promotions - two-for-one offers, shots for a quid, that sort of thing. Personally, I would rather stick hot wires in my jap's eye than frequent these places but I have, on occasions such as a mate's stag do or birthday run, been forced into the odd one or two. For me the whole concept is laughable, all shallow, surface sheen and the idea that you're in some sort of 'exclusive' environment - a couple of them had 'VIP Areas' where, for a small fee, you got the 'luxury' of being able to drink sitting down with service from some skanky, tattooed waitress. Thing is - these places are rammed every Friday and Saturday and often on 'schoolnights' too. What was it the man said? "Nobody ever went went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." Well, I know we're not Americans but we're certainly getting more like them by the day.

It must also be considered that a lot of the people you see out drinking may be matelots, marines or maybe students who aren't locals and who already have their allegiances, or (and they do exist you know) people who just don't like football.

The 'Half Decent' thing

For the long-term Argyle fan the improvement in recent weeks must be hugely enjoyable and it's great to read and hear that the team are playing some good football as well as getting the results. However, it has to be taken into account that a) we are comparing what is on offer now with what most seem to agree has been the worst few seasons of football in Argyle's history and b) that this is a VERY recent development - it was only a few short weeks ago that many were reckoning that although we were grinding out results the performances were unconvincing and awful to watch, and that we were lucky to get away with it. The Cheltenham game seems to be the one that has got everyone excited - for some, only the first half performance. There are some people on PASOTI who seem to have changed their opinions dramatically about the team and the manager based purely on that solitary 3-0 win. I know that part of that is down to excitement, and the thought that we may finally escape this dreadful division, but it is quite a volte-face.

For now we are, by virtue of a shortish run of decent results, in a play-off place in League Two - four points off top spot, two behind the team currently in the final automatic spot and who we play today, but only four ahead of mid table obscurity. Compared with recent seasons this can only be regarded as progress and for the 'faithful' it will seem not only like justification but also perhaps an opportunity to say 'I told you so' to those of us who've wavered. Fair enough, but although I guess it must be difficult for the truly green-blooded, you must try to look at this through the eyes of those who've lapsed in recent years and also those who we are looking at as being the new blood, the next generation of supporters. Being in sixth place in the fourth tier at this stage of the season is, although exciting to you, hardly the sort of thing that is going to get the punters in in their thousands. Maybe, if we continue to get the results and we're in the automatic places come Christmas and New Year the 'buzz' will kick in and crowds will improve. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and you know as well as I do that it's never really been any different at Argyle. Go back to any of our promotion seasons and look at the attendances - actually, I don't think yoou need to as, like me, you're old enough and ugly enough to know it already. Perhaps, also like me, you're bemoaning the fact that Plymouth just isn't a 'football town' in the way some places are, and would like to think that there is hidden somewhere deep in the Janner psyche a want and a need for a successful Argyle, and that Plymouth could become like Newcastle, Liverpool or Leeds - a place where everyone supported the local club(s). Sorry again, it's not likely to happen because the one thing hat all these other places have in common is a history of success (of one sort or another) - maybe not that recent, but something that's always there, that history, and something that the clubs can use as a marketing tool. We don't have that luxury so we have to use something else.

So, how's about: "Come to Argyle - See a team of honest, hard working lads who don't earn shedloads of money like the Premiership players do, but who are trying their hardest to play half-decent football in the fourth division". Yep - that'll get 'em turning up in their droves won't it. Sorry once again, this is in no way meant to downplay the effort the players are putting in, but what we're talking about here is the perception of the general public. They're so used to a constant, reliable diet of Premier Legue, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga football at the press of a button in their own home or in the comfort of their local that I fear it's going to take a bit more than that to entice them, and that applies at just about every club in the two bottom divisions and about half of the championship too.

The 'turning up for the big games' thing:

Yep, of course they will, and they always have as you well know. Again, that's not just an Argyle or Plymouth thing, it'll happen everywhere. I've heard tell that there are people living in places like Southampton, Swansea and Leicester (and in the fairly recent past, Coventry, Norwich etc) who are plastic Mancs or whatever who have bought season tickets for their local club purely so they get to see 'their' team play as it's the only chance they'll get. They'll also go to a few more 'attractive' fixtures but will, for the larger part of the season, not bother, or they may give their season ticket to a local for the more humdrum games. It's income for the club I guess, and there may be the odd one or two who are 'converted', but I think it says a lot about the way people see football these days.

Another point about this that I've made before is that I think the 'glory hunter' thing is slightly exaggerated at Argyle because for years we were rattling around in what was, at the level we were playing at most of the time. a massive ground, so the increase in attendance at, for example, the Santos friendly or the Everton cup-tie in 74/75 was huge. We went from crowds of around 10K to 38K for one match - almost 300% up, whereas a club like, say, Swindon or Gillingham would have, given the same fixture, had an increase of maybe only 100%. Had they had a ground with the capacity of Home Park in those days I'm sure they would have filled it too. So, although there is undoubtedly something about the Janner mentality
that seems to take a bit more overcoming than most, perhaps we're really not that different to most towns or cities with a perennially underachieving football club.

Anyway, apart from anything else if you can, again, put yourself in the position of the non green-blooded for a second and think, well, can you blame them?

The three points taken together all, for me, add up to the same thing when it comes to the context of this thread overall. As I mentioned about the pubs - the breweries and whoever else owns these bars realised that the only way to buck the trend of pubs closing was to change their ways, offer money saving promotions, project some image or other, and never admit (despite the fact that that's exactly what they're doing) that what's on offer is, essentially, rubbish compared with the real top-end of the market. This is what Argyle should be doing - in fact, Argyle are at the advantage of not actually being rubbish, but they have to realise that the competition is way ahead of them at the moment. They're up against the attractions of the aforementioned bars, pubs etc, with the added opposition of TV football, which people are using as a yardstick, thrown in. Part of this, as I've rattled on about for years, is to PLEASE stop projecting an image as little Argyle, permanent ambitionless underdogs, with some sort of a collective inferiority complex. Somebody earlier on this thread mentioned that Argyle's PR department in the seventies was 'cutting edge'. Well, maybe not exactly, but we were the first club to have a lottery, and very successful it was too, the concept was sold to other clubs, and until it was shamefully misused by McCauley it was a great success. Anyway, the club's PR was, basically, the responsibility of one man who was, I'm pretty sure, called Bill Pearce who'd probably never been on a motivational speaking course or anything like it, but who was just, in my opinion, good at his job. One thing he did was to have the motto 'We'll Be The Greatest' printed on the front of the programme (those newspaper jobbies we had for a while in the seventies) - a simple thing that probably wouldn't get past whatever committee is responsible for whatever the current 'mission statement' is (probably includes the word 'passion' somewhere), but one that went against the usual "ever so 'umble" Argyle style. For a while, in the Mariner/Rafferty heyday, there was a genuine feeling that we were going somewhere, and the crowds turned up, but - as always - the club 'bottled it', Rafferty was sold for peanuts and Mariner (inevitably) left not long afterwards, something that should have been delayed, and maybe would have had Rafferty not been sold. Anyway, at least we had the illusion for a brief period, and I think a bit of that attitude wouldn't go amiss now. I'm not saying that we could genuinely say anything that bold again, especially given the way the game itself has changed, but we surely need to start maybe looking at the rest of this division and saying (with the exception of Pompey to be fair) that we really should be, if not lording it over them, approaching the job with a certain level of confidence and even a modicum of arrogance.

Putting all that aside however, the bottom line right now is to get more bums on seats, and the club really does need to be looking at some offers, a bit like the pubs did. The cup match is a good start, but with the current form and league position on our side there can surely be no better time than now to entice the extra fans in with some discounts and a decent marketing campaign.

Finally, in response to the personal comments at the end of your post as much as I have tried not to rise to them I will, rather than resort to name-calling, just ask you to explain just exactly how what I've said equates to me being, or trying to be, some sort of 'working class hero', what you mean about me 'wittering on' or 'beating my drum' about things I've heard or seen on the internet, and how or why reasoned argument (as opposed to name-calling) is 'bollox'. It's my opinion based on being someone who is able to see the argument for going/not going to Argyle from both sides, not just the side of someone who can't understand why people would choose to, or be forced into making a choice based on their finances, do other things with their spare time.
Slim, Bill Pearce has just retired from the Cornwall Air Ambulance lottery.
A great job he did for them too.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Let everyone in for a tenner, im a season ticket holder, wouldn't mind a bit, id rather the place was full, rather than the usual 6000 odd, if the place is buzzing and we get a good result it might get them back again.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Fergy":18ij72aj said:
Bournemouth have money, lots and lots of money. Simple as that.

A very good point, of course, but as far as I can see they've not exactly been throwing it about in a Man City stylee. Naturally, it would be a great help if they were to be promoted, and I'm sure that, even now, it may help keeping one or two players at the club should the big boys of the Championship come sniffing around meaning that they're not forced to have the sort of January sale that started our decline. I still maintain, though, that any sort of lasting success would be, no matter how much money their Russian owner has, difficult if not impossible to achieve unless they build a much bigger stadium. This may, of course, be in the pipeline - I don't know.

At the moment though it's difficult to do anything but stand back and admire what they've achieved already, it's almost like a mini Southampton. What galls me slightly is, as I've said, we've never looked like achieving anything like it and give the impression that we never will. Although there's a part of me that's kind of proud that whatever Argyle have, for better or worse, done we have never really sold our souls (though we've come close) there's another side of me thinking that, despite all the legendary 'potential' and the fact that we could be the sort of club that could almost represent a whole region let alone the city, there's never, to my knowledge, any attempt to buy the club by some megawealthy Russian, Malaysian or whatever. Not entirely sure I'd want it of course, but it's a little insulting that no-one seems to think that Argyle are worth a punt.

Ah well, I suppose there's some consolation to be had from thinking that if it irks me to see a couple of reasonably near neighbours like Bournemouth and Southampton doing so well, how the hell does the average Pompey fan feel about it.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Its a pity a certain plymouth millionaire gentleman does not fancy it, im sure the new stand and the re- development would soon be carried out then, HOME on the range PARK

Feb 2, 2007
Sorry it'll be Sky for me- h8 early kick offs too, although did us well v Luton. Might do the FA cup though for a laugh...

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Just 10 days to go until The BIG dockyard derby Vs Pompey

Building up to be a fantastic day

Argyle Unbeaten in the league for 7 games & building nicely for promotion

Let's fill up Home Park Vs Pompey !!!!

#ArgyleAmbassador :scarf:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
In today's Herald it stated a third of people living in Plymouth are in debt perhaps that is a reason people are not attending.

P

Paul_Roberts

Tyhee_Slim":iywuapbh said:
Fergy":iywuapbh said:
Bournemouth have money, lots and lots of money. Simple as that.

A very good point, of course, but as far as I can see they've not exactly been throwing it about in a Man City stylee. Naturally, it would be a great help if they were to be promoted, and I'm sure that, even now, it may help keeping one or two players at the club should the big boys of the Championship come sniffing around meaning that they're not forced to have the sort of January sale that started our decline. I still maintain, though, that any sort of lasting success would be, no matter how much money their Russian owner has, difficult if not impossible to achieve unless they build a much bigger stadium. This may, of course, be in the pipeline - I don't know.

At the moment though it's difficult to do anything but stand back and admire what they've achieved already, it's almost like a mini Southampton. What galls me slightly is, as I've said, we've never looked like achieving anything like it and give the impression that we never will. Although there's a part of me that's kind of proud that whatever Argyle have, for better or worse, done we have never really sold our souls (though we've come close) there's another side of me thinking that, despite all the legendary 'potential' and the fact that we could be the sort of club that could almost represent a whole region let alone the city, there's never, to my knowledge, any attempt to buy the club by some megawealthy Russian, Malaysian or whatever. Not entirely sure I'd want it of course, but it's a little insulting that no-one seems to think that Argyle are worth a punt.

Ah well, I suppose there's some consolation to be had from thinking that if it irks me to see a couple of reasonably near neighbours like Bournemouth and Southampton doing so well, how the hell does the average Pompey fan feel about it.

Maybe not, though they did sign a Coventry striker in the summer for £2.25m. We can only dream of that kind of outlay.

Even more annoying (if we're comparing their current situation to our last stint in the Championship), is that they've somehow managed to keep their better players. Swansea did the same, then added Scott Sinclair for relative big money and look at them now.

So how do clubs like Bournemouth and Swansea (similar clubs to Argyle historically) manage to flirt with the play-offs, keep all their best players, then both shell out huge seven-figure sums on a marquee player that enables them to take the next step up, all on crowds no bigger than what we were getting back then?

Okay, so Bournemouth have artificial help, but that doesn't explain why their better players haven't been tempted elsewhere like ours were en mass (unless they're paying them as much or even more than Derby, Forest etc).

We need to have a better understanding of what went wrong last time so that the same mistakes aren't repeated if and when we get back to that level.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
dunlop":2htt8eim said:
In today's Herald it stated a third of people living in Plymouth are in debt perhaps that is a reason people are not attending.
No at all surprised
Indeed I can't understand how so many people on here seem to spend so much money watching Argyle home and away!
Don't they pay any bills?????

Apr 22, 2013
Pinched from my email from the club

Big Games + Big Event = Big Week

THIS week is a big one for John Sheridan and his men: three games in three competitions - the chance for the Pilgrims to progress on three fronts.

First up, this Saturday, is the visit of AFC Fylde to Home Park in a tie which eptomises the romance of the FA Cup - Argyle will need to be on their mettle to see off the threat of the Northern Conference side in order to make strides towards the prospect of a glamour third-round tie against a Barclay's Premier League top-dog. Tickets for the game are a knock-down £15 for adults; £10 for concessions; and £5 for children.

Then, on Wednesday, the Pilgrims travel to Coventry's impressive Ricoh Arena in search of a cup giantkilling themselves as they look to reach the Southern Area semi-final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Three days later, the Theatre of Greens stages our annual Armed Services Day game, when we host Portsmouth in Sky Bet League 2. The Dockyard Derby. Pilgrims v Pompey. It does not get much bigger.

We are extremely honoured that, before kick-off, the Band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines will be putting on a special performance. It is the first time since the Pilgrims introduced a seasonal Armed Services Day seven seasons ago, to pay tribute to the military men and women of the Westcountry, that the prestigious Royal Navy musicians have performed at Home Park.

Their presence at the Sky-televised match will help ensure that ASD7 is the biggest and best yet.

Fans of both teams will come together for an eye-catching pre-match tribute to those who have lost their lives in service of the country, an especially poignant mark of respect on the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the first world war.

Last season, when we played at Portsmouth, the home fans packed out Fratton Park for a remarkable display of support for their team - now it is the Green Army's turn to show the football world what a united and passionate following we have.

Supporters of the two Sky Bet League 2 sides will also unite at half-time, when the Argyle Fans’ Trust in collaboration with Royal British Legion, whose poppy emblem adorns the back of the Argyle shirts in every game this season, stages a penalty shoot-out between young fans representing the Pilgrims and Pompey.

Immediately before the game, following the arrival of the two sides behind RBL standard-bearers, Royal Navy chaplain Ralph Barber and his Argyle counterpart Arthur Goode will address the crowd. The match-ball will then be presented to the officials by Plymothian HMS Raleigh cadet Konnor Harrower, who will be escorted by Argyle legend Tommy Tynan and his son Thomas, a serving submariner.

Top-brass representatives of all of the armed services will attend the game as guests of the club, along with local dignitaries and serving men and women.

The game is being shown live on Sky, so kick-off is 12.05pm and gates open at 10.30am with the Royal Marine Band starting their performance at 11.15am; if you buy your ticket before 6pm on the Friday before the game, you can save yourself £2 on a full-price ticket.

Oct 22, 2009
The Bournemouth model is completely unsustainable. Small club, small ground, no fans, no history, small town. They will fold in a few years when their benefactor loses interest.

Anyways how many have we sold for Pompey?

E

EK_Brighton

northroadwest1":3a2bisgq said:
The Bournemouth model is completely unsustainable. Small club, small ground, no fans, no history, small town. They will fold in a few years when their benefactor loses interest.

They're also paying some very generous wages, funded by the mysterious Russian owner. I'm struggling to see what he's after by investing in them. There's little prospect of building a new stadium, so even if they got promoted, crowds are never going to be high. Bournemouth just isn't a football town. I suppose he just fancies some of the Sky cash.