Kyle Letheren | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kyle Letheren

Apr 1, 2017
Jannerbear":26iqg83p said:
Iā€™m not convinced by Letheren, heā€™s done a very decent job as back-up but I donā€™t think heā€™s capable of the match defining saves that Luke is.
Personally I think he should have saved their equaliser yesterday, and Iā€™m pretty sure Luke would have stop
Itā€™s good to have such a decent back-up but thatā€™s all he is for me, so Luke should come straight back in once heā€™s fit.

I take it you haven't seen much of luke this season then...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I like Letheren, and he's done very well in difficult circumstances, this is the competition that Luke hasn't had since Cole was at the club, in fact he's probably better competition than Cole.

However, if you're in the 90th minute of a game and there's a striker bearing down on goal one on one, in that game defining moment do you want Letheren or McCormick? I'd say McCormick, and while it would be extremely harsh to drop Letheren, that is the main reason why I'd still prefer to have Luke in goal.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Iā€™d want Songoā€™o to roll him off into next week to he honest

Apr 6, 2009
Quintrell_Green":24ayuceg said:
IJN":24ayuceg said:
philmeboots":24ayuceg said:
Yeah I quite like him, but didnā€™t think that he should have been beaten for the goal. It came from a long way out and wasnā€™t hit with much force.

I think the sun had something to do with it Phil.

No excuse not wearing a cap looking into a low sun. Luke is no better in that regard.

Apart from he was wearing a cap at that exact point - so better than Luke then ;-)

Jul 3, 2013
Mcormick, best shot stopper we have had in last 20 years, unfortunately a couple of his other attributes are not upto the same standard with the dealing of crosses being one. If the latter were better then he could have made it to the premier before that fatefull evening.
As Cobi mentions above, the decision would not even be close in that last minute scenario with Luke a certain. Luke has been let down by some shocking defending this season from the whole back line, the first goal against Doncaster was a wordly save onto the bar for instance but defenders let him down again. All goalkeepers need good competition and so do we as a club. Letheren is a half decent keeper for this level but not in the same league as Luke.

Feb 8, 2005
Letheren was third choice keeper when he came in to us.

I didn't expect to see him play, but circumstances dictated that he took over between the sticks.

I wasn't expecting the standard of goalkeeping that he has shown so far, so much better than the goalkeeping understudies that we have had in the recent past.

Full credit to him for signing for us. He could have been first or second choice keeper somewhere else.

Both of our keepers have plus points but I think Luke, being Captain will retain his place when he is fit, although I have to say I don't mind Letheren staying in post. He has surprised me and feel that he can challenge for Luke's place, which is a good thing.

Sep 18, 2010
Stiffler":2isucjpa said:
Mcormick, best shot stopper we have had in last 20 years, unfortunately a couple of his other attributes are not upto the same standard with the dealing of crosses being one. If the latter were better then he could have made it to the premier before that fatefull evening.
As Cobi mentions above, the decision would not even be close in that last minute scenario with Luke a certain. Luke has been let down by some shocking defending this season from the whole back line, the first goal against Doncaster was a wordly save onto the bar for instance but defenders let him down again. All goalkeepers need good competition and so do we as a club. Letheren is a half decent keeper for this level but not in the same league as Luke.

Luke was never ever near Premier League standard. Have you ever heard the saying in football that everyone ends up playing at their level? Well this is Lukes! As it is for nearly all our players.

Jul 3, 2013
Superguy":2orxewqm said:
Stiffler":2orxewqm said:

Luke was never ever near Premier League standard. Have you ever heard the saying in football that everyone ends up playing at their level? Well this is Lukes! As it is for nearly all our players.

Quite a strange last paragraph considering he had been in the championship and looked more than comfortable over a period of time.

Sep 18, 2010
Stiffler":3ry2pybl said:
Superguy":3ry2pybl said:
Stiffler":3ry2pybl said:

Quite a strange last paragraph considering he had been in the championship and looked more than comfortable over a period of time.

Massive jump between Championship and Premier League. Comfortable doesn't make him Premier League standard.

Feb 21, 2011
Can't believe there are people on this thread that still think Jake Cole was a decent keeper, his career post Argyle says it all and had we not been on the bones of our 'arris he would never have gotten near playing for us. Letheren has been ok lately a decent back up to Luke who I expect back in sooner rather than later post injury as he is a class act.

John Cooper

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Letheren for me all day long.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Superguy":2x3mzxnw said:
Stiffler":2x3mzxnw said:
Superguy":2x3mzxnw said:
Stiffler":2x3mzxnw said:

Massive jump between Championship and Premier League. Comfortable doesn't make him Premier League standard.

I think we all know the reason why Luke plays at this level and it is certainly not his talent.

We'll never know if he'd have been Premier League standard, there was rumoured interest so somebody clearly saw that potential in him but there's a big difference between potential and actually fulfilling it, as I say we'll never know.

To the here and now though, Letheren has done really well coming in to a struggling side with a leaky defence in front of him. The one advantagd he has had over Luke is the suspension of Bradley; the partnership of Edwards and Songo'o has blossomed and the defence has looked more solid as a result.

I'd like to see Luke given a chance behind a sturdier defence although I think the question Adams will be asking is whether it's solely the swapping of Songo'o for Bradley that has sured us up or whether Letheren organises his defence better than Luke. Tough call IMO...

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Surely itā€™s a simple case of if youā€™re playing well you keep the shirt? For a ā€˜keeper itā€™s even more simple as itā€™s less about tactics & formation. Letherenā€™s playing well ā€“ he hasnā€™t made a mistake (there is NO WAY he could have saved that equaliser on Saturday), made some very good saves and generally looked solid. No disrespect to Luke - if and when Letherenā€™s form dips then weā€™ve got a great replacement who could/should keep the shirt if he plays well. Simples.