Jake Jervis (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jake Jervis (merged)

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Well if you class that pass as ambitious, then GC can forget about playing any higher.

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":10qe72je said:
Well if you class that pass as ambitious, then GC can forget about playing any higher.

Imagination is a beautiful thing. Your imagination doesn't think of the ball to Jervis landing slightly too ahead of him, or too behind him, a dodgy first touch, and all of the many variables that are the reality of football. To you it really is as simple as Carey plays the perfect ball across and Jervis volleys it in first time like Marco Van Basten.

Carey missed his shot on goal, missed the target entirely, and yet he has hit far more difficult shots from twice as far out and put it in the top corner. On more than one occasion.

As I say, if GC had squared the ball to Jervis and HE messed it up (as he did not minutes later!) Carey could quite easily have thought to himself ' in the box with no defender in my way... why didn't I just F'in hit it? What was I thinking?'. DA might have come over and reminded him that he's our star player, and that he needs to have some bottle, take some responsibility and back himself etc.

Long story short, it's far from a certain goal if Carey tries to cross it. It didn't warrant Jervis's strop. Anyone would have thought he just ignored him for a tap in from ten yards with the keeper or out of the box.

Mar 14, 2009
JJ has improved season upon season.

Each year he gets a little more consistent. Yet there are things he needs to really work on. Like heading. For a big guy he is pretty poor and I've noticed he would rather use his feet. His final ball or decision making. When he gets in a good position after some good work you often find that its a lottery if gets to a green shirt.

Compared to Kennedy I think you get as much out of him. For a start he tracks back better. I noticed with Kennedy he has gone missing some what in the last few games. His impact early on in his loan spell was very good. Yet I thought Slew yesterday would of done more on that left hand side compared to what Kennedy did. If I was Slew I would be disappointed.

The reason I mention Kennedy is he is suppose to be championship quality. We have seen some great finishes. Yet now teams are blocking him coming inside and his reluctance to go on the outside as much I don't see him any more effective than a Jervis or Slew.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I'm glad i never played football with you Knibbs.

Maybe GC should just shoot every time he gets the ball.

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":3ubwiqpd said:
I'm glad i never played football with you Knibbs.

Maybe GC should just shoot every time he gets the ball.

You might be being facetious, but yes, perhaps there is an argument that away at Doncaster, with chances at a premium, that we might encourage our best player, top scorer, and best striker of a football in the division to take a shot when he's got a clear sight of goal in the opposition penalty box.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Voice_of_Reason":q5e2hny7 said:
Knibbs, After he heads it, it bounces twice, the second time its sits perfectly in his stride to side foot half volley across the 18 yard line, the positioning of the goalkeeper would have made JJ's task easier (whether he'd have scored is a mute point) - but thats a pass all day long.

The look on GC's face suggests he knows it too.

I suppose the marvellous thing with football we all disagree, if you'd have been GC and i'd have been JJ and you hadn't squared it, you would have wanted to wait until i'd showered and gone to the bar before you got changed!
Not something I find myself saying too often but with you all the way here VoR. The only improbable was, as you correctly say, whether or not Jake would have scored. I have just watched that passage of play again and the ball could not have sat up better for Graham. If a predominately left footed player like him is where he was in relation to the goal and there is a better placed colleague then he has three options. He either had to use his right foot (doesn't fancy that), try and hit the outside of the ball with the outside of his left foot (difficult even at the highest level) or use his left foot to pass it to JJ (the only easy option of the three). Unfortunately he did is what you would do if Jervis wasn't there. The give away that he recognised the error of his ways was the fact that he failed to make immediate eye contact with Jervis.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Knibbs, you are talking about JJ like he has two left feet. He is only a few goals behind GC this year and was in front of him last year (i think).
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but as stated if you sat down with GC and showed him the replay i'd bet my last penny he'd acknowledge he totally took the wrong option.
To suggest it was some kind of miracle ball needed is total hot air. A simple side foot was all that ways required.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I've just seen it back on the highlights and it is exactly how I remembered. It's a relatively simple ball through and if he plays it into the right area Jervis has a tap in.

2nd one was harder than I thought though. Spencer was further behind Jervis when Jervis shot than I thought at first.

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":2tcpc9uy said:
Knibbsworth of all the rubbish i've read on this site (including someone suggesting Paul Sturrock build a team around Osvaldo Lopes) - your claim is right up there. You have attempted to justify one of the most selfish bits of play i've seen in a long time.
JJ never once got ahead of the ball and any pro footballer worth his salt should have been able to make that pass, let alone one as creative and as gifted as GC. He pure and simply got greedy.
Fortunately it didn't cost us.
There was one defender who was nowhere near the play when the pass should have gone. I would bet my last penny that watching that back GC is squirming in his seat and if you gave him that situation again he'd pass 10 times out of 10.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Bon04vTmmsA

1:10-1:20

Carey's shot wasn't even the most selfish piece of play in League Two this weekend.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's worth pointing out that in a career spanning 13 clubs as a professional (including Hereford and Portsmouth twice) Jervis has stayed at Argyle the longest.

He's only 25 but has been out on loan eight times.
Before signing for Argyle he's never made more than 29 appearances in a single season and yet if he plays in the remaining seven games of this season he will make exactly 100 appearances for Argyle over two seasons.

And before Argyle his highest goal tally in a single season was five, last season he scored 14 and this season 10 so far.

The nomad has finally found a home.

It's further proof that Adams can rescue waifs and strays and players who's careers are bumbling along and coach them into very good players; Jervis, Carey, Threlkeld and Bradley for example.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He is due a goal (or 2) on Saturday.

In the last few games, he has got into good scoring positions but has not finished off his chances. His last goal, in open play, was against Stevenage on 14th January.

He needs to work on his shooting accuracy coming in from the right wing (Anfield, Morecambe and Doncaster come to mind).

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Superb player who poses a real threat with his pace and eye for goal.

He is also a real grafter and sometimes wears himself out with all the sprinting.

Has drifted out of games a few times when we dont pass it wide to him but still surprised he hasn't started more games.
Definitely good enough for league 1 unlike Donaldson, Miller and Spencer

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Jake has talent that hasn't been fully realised yet---when you see him attacking defences with that long stride he really can look exceptional. I think of all the players I have watched over the last 6 seasons and he is one of a small group that have genuinely impressed me. He's still young and if he can find an extra 5% to 10% from somewhere (al little more consistency) he could become a great player at L1/Championship level.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i cannot understand why he gets substituted so often.surely he offered a lot more than sarsevic,miller and spencer today for examples?