Jake Jervis (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jake Jervis (merged)

Jan 1, 2006
Plymouth
Jake has been my favourite player since the first time I saw him Wimbledon away last year.....I must confess to being bemused when Derek leaves him out......I do accept he drifts in and out which some say is him being lazy....but I don't think we use him enough.....needs to be fed up the A*** for want of a better expression. Still my point is when looking at the squad for league one and who can make the step up Jake is a deffo nailed on keeper imho.

Jul 3, 2013
Been excellent this season and never gives up, if only he would cross the ball more rather than get into a good position and pass it back

Aug 5, 2016
SinceIWasYoung":3eue78ll said:
I was almost screaming at the TV after Carey didn't float the ball to the back post for what would surely have been a nod in for Jake. Not long after we had gone 1 up.

I like the balance of having a tall man (Jervis) and a nippy man (Kennedy) on either flank.

I did laugh at Jervis's strop about that. He was offside for a large part of that play, to which Carey cleverly ignored the distraction of JJ shouting for the ball. Then when he got onside there were two defenders blocking the trajectory of any kind of pass. It was poor movement from JJ and hardly a case of Carey ignoring him at the back post for an easy tap in. If Carey had have tried to pass/cross to Jervis at the back post at the moment he shot, it would have taken a pass of Andrea Pirlo precision. Carey quite correctly evaluated the odds and came it the conclusion the best chance from there was a shot on goal.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Knibbsworth of all the rubbish i've read on this site (including someone suggesting Paul Sturrock build a team around Osvaldo Lopes) - your claim is right up there. You have attempted to justify one of the most selfish bits of play i've seen in a long time.
JJ never once got ahead of the ball and any pro footballer worth his salt should have been able to make that pass, let alone one as creative and as gifted as GC. He pure and simply got greedy.
Fortunately it didn't cost us.
There was one defender who was nowhere near the play when the pass should have gone. I would bet my last penny that watching that back GC is squirming in his seat and if you gave him that situation again he'd pass 10 times out of 10.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Voice_of_Reason":1tkrpsza said:
Knibbsworth of all the rubbish i've read on this site (including someone suggesting Paul Sturrock build a team around Osvaldo Lopes) - your claim is right up there. You have attempted to justify one of the most selfish bits of play i've seen in a long time.
JJ never once got ahead of the ball and any pro footballer worth his salt should have been able to make that pass, let alone one as creative and as gifted as GC. He pure and simply got greedy.
There was one defender who was nowhere near the play when the pass should have gone. I would bet my last penny that watching that back GC is squirming in his seat and if you gave him that situation again he'd pass 10 times out of 10.
Your version is closer to how I saw it than Knibbsworth's but Carey wasn't the only one guilty. Shortly after that chance Jake burst through and should have played it across to Spencer for a tap in, but instead fired it into the side netting when he never looked like scoring.

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":1uufu092 said:

Feel free to watch the footage and tell me at what point GC should have passed it.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Correct, that was a much harder ball to get right than Carey's, but should have been going across goal.

Difficult to criticise someone who has assisted so many goals and chances this season, my only defence for GC was it was just a minute after scoring and maybe the old blood was still pumping a bit quickly. We've all seen it before, or played with someone who gets the old white line fever (i think thats the Rugby version) - just more of a surprise when it comes from someone who is such a good passer of the ball.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
His second or third touch but times could have gone, he has 20 yards of area to play it into. Its not even debatable.

Aug 5, 2016
It would have to have been a lofted pass/cross. The ball was off the ground and bouncing. JJ would have been too far from goal to head or volley it, so would either have had to stop to control it (Donny defender on him instantly), or would have to nod it into his path and run on to it. Could have quite easily/probably have gone into the keeper's hands.

This idea that he just squared it to Jervis for a tap in is laughable. One of the most selfish pieces of play you have ever seen? Get a hold of yourself.

Carey played a much more easy to control through ball for JJ shortly after, played him right through towards goal with the ball on the deck...and JJ himself ignored Spencer to shoot into the side netting. So you need to temper your imagination that Carey squaring the ball for JJ = 2-0! There would still have been a lot to do.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Knibbs, After he heads it, it bounces twice, the second time its sits perfectly in his stride to side foot half volley across the 18 yard line, the positioning of the goalkeeper would have made JJ's task easier (whether he'd have scored is a mute point) - but thats a pass all day long.

The look on GC's face suggests he knows it too.

I suppose the marvellous thing with football we all disagree, if you'd have been GC and i'd have been JJ and you hadn't squared it, you would have wanted to wait until i'd showered and gone to the bar before you got changed!

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Knibbsworth":3m8eue53 said:
SinceIWasYoung":3m8eue53 said:
I was almost screaming at the TV after Carey didn't float the ball to the back post for what would surely have been a nod in for Jake. Not long after we had gone 1 up.

I like the balance of having a tall man (Jervis) and a nippy man (Kennedy) on either flank.

I did laugh at Jervis's strop about that. He was offside for a large part of that play, to which Carey cleverly ignored the distraction of JJ shouting for the ball. Then when he got onside there were two defenders blocking the trajectory of any kind of pass. It was poor movement from JJ and hardly a case of Carey ignoring him at the back post for an easy tap in. If Carey had have tried to pass/cross to Jervis at the back post at the moment he shot, it would have taken a pass of Andrea Pirlo precision. Carey quite correctly evaluated the odds and came it the conclusion the best chance from there was a shot on goal.

Except he wasn't because most of the time he was behind the ball or the last man.

C

Cult Of Personality

Wish he was little more direct because he has pace to burn and really scares defenders. He a bit of a baby aswell and does duck out of challenges . I think he is a confidence player and just needs to keep playing and be told he doing well. I always think we look better with Jake in the side

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Kevin_Dacombe":2o8rd2wp said:
He's not the most gifted footballer, but he is a proper athlete. He can run and run, is he the fittest player in the squad?
as we continue to play one up front, id put Jervis up there on his own, with spencer there, it always come back, Jake would be an outlet to hit over the top, defences might then drop deeper

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":mwib6ie9 said:
Knibbs, After he heads it, it bounces twice, the second time its sits perfectly in his stride to side foot half volley across the 18 yard line, the positioning of the goalkeeper would have made JJ's task easier (whether he'd have scored is a mute point) - but thats a pass all day long.

The look on GC's face suggests he knows it too.

I suppose the marvellous thing with football we all disagree, if you'd have been GC and i'd have been JJ and you hadn't squared it, you would have wanted to wait until i'd showered and gone to the bar before you got changed!

Exactly, I do know what you mean, but I thought it was arrogant of Jervis to berate him for it... arrogant because Jervis is prone to missing easier chances than that is likely to have been. GC could have attempted the quite ambitious square to Jervis, ambitious in the sense that if it wasn't precisely in JJ's instep JJ would have wasted a second getting it under control and then would have had a Donny defender on him, and the move likely fizzles out.

If GC had tried this ambitious cross field pass, and nothing came of it, wouldn't we all be screaming 'why didn't one of the best strikers of a football outside of the Championship not just have a shot on goal when he's inside the box?'

'Stop over complicating the game and just hit it!!'

I'm sure DA would have said something similar if GC and JJ screwed up having a good chance on goal between them.