How about Rory Fallon? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How about Rory Fallon?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Don't need him.

But if you'd asked me 18 months ago about Fallon, I'd have bitten your hand off. Far better than Feeney, Chadwick and Griffiths.

Shows how far we've come in terms of signing good strikers!

C

Cobi Budge.

Dan Ellard":d30c5q00 said:
Don't need him.

But if you'd asked me 18 months ago about Fallon, I'd have bitten your hand off. Far better than Feeney, Chadwick and Griffiths.

Shows how far we've come in terms of signing good strikers!

Miles better than Chadwick & especially Griffiths, but Feeney is a completely different type of player, and I rated him.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MannameadGreen":3aa8z1a1 said:
Feeney worked his b*llocks off and was a little pest but he wasn't really especially good.

I shan't get into this one with you again, Stan :greensmile:

As for Fallon I very much agree with Dan; a year ago I would have been delighted if we'd got him back with the forwards we had at the time. Now however we have Reuben who is always going to be first choice with Morgan acting as cover in the big target man department, we don't need another regardless of how much I personally would love it if my hero Super Ror came back :greensmile:

A replacement for Conor and a winger are where JS should be focussing his efforts in the transfer market, an extra forward is just an unnecessary strain on the wage budget IMO.

C

Cobi Budge.

I thought Feeney was a decent player as well as an extremely hard worker, could hold up the ball, pick some superb passes, great link up play, scoring isn't everything for a striker. I can't remember him having many chances to score, why? He was creating them.

Feeney did very well for us in a poor team.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge.":1ntkicvw said:
I thought Feeney was a decent player as well as an extremely hard worker, could hold up the ball, pick some superb passes, great link up play, scoring isn't everything for a striker. I can't remember him having many chances to score, why? He was creating them.

Agreed entirely Cobi, would have loved to have seen him given the chance to play alongside a poacher as that's the role he performs best at IMO, causing defenders trouble, distracting them and making space for the striker is what a player like Feeney is on the field to do and that doesn't work if he's up front alone or playing alongside another supporting striker in the form of Chadders.

Not that I'm getting into that debate again or anything :oops: , I think me, you, Stan and Sam discussed him on Twitter a while back and there was no changing their minds on him :greensmile:

C

Cobi Budge.

Ollieargyle9":1p7iilxg said:
Cobi Budge.":1p7iilxg said:

Agreed entirely Cobi, would have loved to have seen him given the chance to play alongside a poacher as that's the role he performs best at IMO, causing defenders trouble, distracting them and making space for the striker is what a player like Feeney is on the field to do and that doesn't work if he's up front alone or playing alongside another supporting striker in the form of Chadders.

Not that I'm getting into that debate again or anything :oops: , I think me, you, Stan and Sam discussed him on Twitter a while back and there was no changing their minds on him :greensmile:

Yep I would have liked to see us keep him. He spent so much of that season isolated upfront or next to a young Lecointe, when Chadwick came in he thrived.

Chadwick and Feeney always shared a good partnership as they complimented each other well, I remember Exeter away, those two game on to replace lone 'striker' Griffiths and they changed the came and ensured we got a point.

I don't think I've ever seen a player work as hard as Feeney did, the thing is, he was actually a good clever player as well, the sort of player a poacher would love playing next to.

In my opinion, Feeney wasn't a bad player, just not quite good enough (a bit of the 'Lee Carsley effect' about him).

Griffiths was never going to get fit coming into professional football so late, but he was taller and better in the air than Feeney and I think he had better instincts. I don't want to go into too many 'what ifs' but if Griffiths came into pro football in his twenties he could have had a nice career as a lower-league forward. I don't think he was entirely hopeless.

Feb 21, 2011
MannameadGreen":3798v8vb said:
In my opinion, Feeney wasn't a bad player, just not quite good enough (a bit of the 'Lee Carsley effect' about him).

Griffiths was never going to get fit coming into professional football so late, but he was taller and better in the air than Feeney and I think he had better instincts. I don't want to go into too many 'what ifs' but if Griffiths came into pro football in his twenties he could have had a nice career as a lower-league forward. I don't think he was entirely hopeless.
Griffiths was an appalling signing in my view.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm sorry but Griffiths was nowhere near better than Feeney, he wasn't even better than Chadwick, in fact, I'd have Showunmi in the team over Rhys Griffiths.

Credit to him for coming in and giving it a shot, you wouldn't turn the chance down but it was just a typical Fletcher signing, made with poor judgement. Fletcher was an alright tactical manager in fairness, but he was absolutely terrible at signing players imo, while with Sheridan it seems to be the reverse.

Rhys Griffiths was the worst striker we've had in many many years, not because he was lazy or under-performing or anything, but simply because, he wasn't a professional footballer and never should have been signed.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Feeney never got into goalscoring positions because his movement was garbage.

Worked hard in terms of harrying, chasing, trying to get on the end of long balls etc., but his movement in and around the penalty area was shockingly bad.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
In Griffith's credit that cameo against Northampton was superb, thought we had something special at the time but it was just never meant to be.