Grandstand Update | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand Update

Do you like the stage 1 plans for the grandstand?

• Yes

Votes: 206 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 9.4%

• Total voters
Wasnt a problem when the seats were in the Mayflower previously. If it rained you got wet, simple.

The only time I can recall it being really bad was against Barnsley and they were destroying us 4-1 when the ref stopped play because of water on the pitch, now that was wet!

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":19wwmgj7 said:
True, when the terrace was there, and the unreserved seating, the back was, logically, the driest...especially with prevailing southerly winds.

It'll help, but it won't keep every seat dry. To do that you'd need a new, probably cantilevered roof and that won't happen for budgetary reasons. That it retains the Leitchian aesthetic is simply a bonus for me.

The prevailing winds are Westerly! Demport End is the driest place.

All this debate about whether people at the front will get wet, took me back to an Argyle game at Charlton in the late 70's when we stood on the huge and uncovered East terrace. More recently, Marseille had a huge uncovered stand completed for when France held the Euros. They have rather better weather down there of course - but it did get me thinking about a huge, uncovered Mayflower side, all safe standing. Move the directors to The Lyndhurst, complete all the infrastructure you need underneath and put on a roof when you can afford it. Cost : £5m ????

Just think of the moaning when it starts to rain !

Only joking, obviously...

Mike

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Winchelsea Green":2oobfz4d said:
X Isle":2oobfz4d said:
All UK wind prevails from the South West, so we're both right :huddle:

Not quite. This interesting (!) article suggests that in the spring, north easterlies are at least as common as south westerlies. Read the conclusion if you're short of time/interest http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10 ... efce8a42b8

Mike

Couldn't you find the Mundane Returns thread?? :lol:

Sep 5, 2011
Brigga":2f3bqgc9 said:
Biggs":2f3bqgc9 said:
I don't think you can emphasise how MUCH better the stand will look completely renovated with spanking new green seats everywhere. Put it this way, we all wanted a double decker all-seated stand in the last plan, and that's now what we're getting.

I too would have liked the corners filled, but surely that leaves some potential for the future and the line I really like is the apparent confirmation of... 'will raise the capacity at Home Park to 20,000'

I have been assuming there will be a two tier stand and from memory can't see how it wouldn't be but there is also talk about how like Sandy Park stand it will be and that is a single tier at the front of the structure to almost full height with the boxes along the top and the bars and restaurants and corporate facilities behind and changing room, medical rooms, gym etc and supporter toilets tucked underneath.
The reference to Sandy Park does suggest that it will be a single tier stand once refurbished.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Greengo":2mw4uh1s said:
Brigga":2mw4uh1s said:
Biggs":2mw4uh1s said:
I don't think you can emphasise how MUCH better the stand will look completely renovated with spanking new green seats everywhere. Put it this way, we all wanted a double decker all-seated stand in the last plan, and that's now what we're getting.

I too would have liked the corners filled, but surely that leaves some potential for the future and the line I really like is the apparent confirmation of... 'will raise the capacity at Home Park to 20,000'

I have been assuming there will be a two tier stand and from memory can't see how it wouldn't be but there is also talk about how like Sandy Park stand it will be and that is a single tier at the front of the structure to almost full height with the boxes along the top and the bars and restaurants and corporate facilities behind and changing room, medical rooms, gym etc and supporter toilets tucked underneath.
The reference to Sandy Park does suggest that it will be a single tier stand once refurbished.

The Sandy Park reference was about the hospitality and banqueting.

It will 100% be two tiers. How and why would you convert a two tier stand into a single tier? Even if they wanted to, 5m wouldn't cover that kind of fundamental structural redevelopment.

Jul 14, 2008
The reference to Sandy Park was with regards to the corporate facilitates which is a big income generator for the Chiefs. The Grandstand will remain as it is - a two tier structure.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Surely the answer here is to give some/all of the new mayflower stand its own entrance and exit and make it the away supporters area. We can then keep all the home supporters dry and get rid of all the issues of losing capacity due to segregation.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Northernlightgreen":1ztjs7bg said:
Surely the answer here is to give some/all of the new mayflower stand its own entrance and exit and make it the away supporters area. We can then keep all the home supporters dry and get rid of all the issues of losing capacity due to segregation.

Surely the idea is to increase the revenue, especially on match days. That will mean the capacity of the whole stand having access to these new facilities.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Northernlightgreen":145k28w7 said:

The idea of spending millions of pounds on building a long awaited new grandstand, then handing half of it over to away fans is.... odd.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Biggs":2sph7uwb said:
Northernlightgreen":2sph7uwb said:

The idea of spending millions of pounds on building a long awaited new grandstand, then handing half of it over to away fans is.... odd.

Have you been to Dagenham and Redbridge Biggs? :D

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Emu":rc59rftz said:
Biggs":rc59rftz said:
Northernlightgreen":rc59rftz said:

Have you been to Dagenham and Redbridge Biggs? :D

Yes. That's the end behind the goal though, not the centrepiece grandstand with supporter facilities that fans have craved for generations.

For what it's worth, I think the Dagenham set up is pretty weird, and so do most away fans.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
The more this thread goes on, the more I think that the limited money will be spent on the conference facilities and corporate boxes and not on seating/comfort for the real fans.
The here today, gone tomorrow prawn sandwich brigade will be the winners.