Garita | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Garita

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":y52tkpuj said:
Knibbsworth":y52tkpuj said:
"Think he's a great impact sub off the bench to add some pace, power and unpredictability."

Absolutely.

It irritates me how Arnie has developed this reputation as a shocking player, that is slowly becoming a majority opinion.

His introduction changed the game v Newport. He was a thorn in Liverpool's side in both games, and was a good bet to score if it wasn't for an outstanding last ditch tackle.

He showed what he could do when he is fit and firing, and that was in his first few games. After destroying Exeter he had a bad injury, to the extent he hasn't played another game for us without heavy strapping.

I think he has been playing in pain, and doing an alright job of it. There's a good player to be found in there, and if Bristol City release him I hope we are interested.

I'd wait to see a bit more of Blissett first, and to see if Spencer gets back to full fitness before trying to send Arnie back. An injury to Taylor and Arnie might be the man we need - plus we don't have a forward who can make such powerful runs on the wing as Arnie does, so he's always worth having on the bench if we want to target a scrawny side back.

If he hadn't had 1 good half against a shockingly poor Exeter then no one would rate him. It's become the norm to not rate him because quite frankly he's a liability and it seems the manager sees it this way as well as he is well down the pecking order now.

Harsh, he was excellent v Wycombe. A wildcard against Liverpool. A great cameo away at Newport in the Cup.

He is very raw. Which isn't what we need from the start.

Sep 2, 2015
Kingsbridge
Does 'raw' just mean not that good as I keep hearing that about him but he's only a year younger than Kennedy and he certainly doesn't look raw. Still undecided by him personally and at this stage of the season I think we need to have players we can trust rather than the unpredictability of Garita

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
jarvo36":23ivsiv7 said:
Does 'raw' just mean not that good as I keep hearing that about him but he's only a year younger than Kennedy and he certainly doesn't look raw. Still undecided by him personally and at this stage of the season I think we need to have players we can trust rather than the unpredictability of Garita

'Raw' means he's got some good qualities but he's not consistent and needs a well-coached progression.

Kennedy is a far better player.

Aug 5, 2015
It's amazing how fickle we fans are. After the Exeter away game he was a God, could do no wrong, was just what we were looking for. No he's raw,clueless and will be lucky if he plays for us again! And they said a week was a long time in politics!

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Still a good option to have around. Wouldn't want him playing against us, as he does make an impact.

Oct 16, 2016
Considering Adams complete aversion to starting with two up front and our existing options I can't see what Garita offers and why he wouldn't be anything but about 5th choice

Not good enough, never has been. A purple patch that lasted for one game

Aug 5, 2016
jarvo36":2r2dn57u said:

I agree, we should really be thinking of returning or releasing any player around Kennedy's age who is not as good as he is. Problem is we would only have a squad of about five players with a closed transfer window!!

Raw by my interpretation, is a player who has the necessary physical attributes to succeed (height, strength, pace, dribbling) but who makes naive decisions, wrong decisions, or plays in an individualist style which is not in harmony with the team objective.

A lot of the criticisms of Garita can be coached. For example he times his jumps too early - that can be coached. His first touch isn't the best, and is behind Taylor's or Spencer's. That can be coached. His movement in holding the ball up isn't as clever as the other two, so Arnie doesn't get the nicer balls to feet and chest as the other two. Again a good attacking coach can develop this.

Whereas Louis Rooney can't be coached into having the powerful running of Garita, can't be coached the height of Taylor, can't be taught the powerful aerial ability of Brunt. It doesn't mean he can't be an outstanding forward, but he doesn't have the physique to work with unlike Arnie.

Garita has the physical attributes to be whatever striker he wants. He can be fast, run the channels, he could be a target man if he worked (a lot!) on his game. But he's raw - an uncut diamond. Rooney and the majority of other strikers don't have these wonderful raw attributes to work with.

The question is does Derek Adams see himself being able to develop Arnie as a player, or does Arnie simply not have the brain for it? It is our coaches call to make, as I imagine Bristol City will be releasing him and we would likely be in the driving seat for his next contract if we wanted him.

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
I believe he will still be an asset at some point this season. All very well to say let him go back, do that then get a few injuries and then we'll be brickin it. Be realistic, we ain't going to see Brunty this season so keep all available options, be silly not to,
Pete

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":9wcsmspp said:
jarvo36":9wcsmspp said:

I agree, we should really be thinking of returning or releasing any player around Kennedy's age who is not as good as he is. Problem is we would only have a squad of about five players with a closed transfer window!!

Raw by my interpretation, is a player who has the necessary physical attributes to succeed (height, strength, pace, dribbling) but who makes naive decisions, wrong decisions, or plays in an individualist style which is not in harmony with the team objective.

A lot of the criticisms of Garita can be coached. For example he times his jumps too early - that can be coached. His first touch isn't the best, and is behind Taylor's or Spencer's. That can be coached. His movement in holding the ball up isn't as clever as the other two, so Arnie doesn't get the nicer balls to feet and chest as the other two. Again a good attacking coach can develop this.

Whereas Louis Rooney can't be coached into having the powerful running of Garita, can't be coached the height of Taylor, can't be taught the powerful aerial ability of Brunt. It doesn't mean he can't be an outstanding forward, but he doesn't have the physique to work with unlike Arnie.

Garita has the physical attributes to be whatever striker he wants. He can be fast, run the channels, he could be a target man if he worked (a lot!) on his game. But he's raw - an uncut diamond. Rooney and the majority of other strikers don't have these wonderful raw attributes to work with.

The question is does Derek Adams see himself being able to develop Arnie as a player, or does Arnie simply not have the brain for it? It is our coaches call to make, as I imagine Bristol City will be releasing him and we would likely be in the driving seat for his next contract if we wanted him.

One would have expected him to have received considerable coaching already. If it hasn't achieved those objectives already how much more coaching does he need? Some of these things are down to intelligence, timing etc. Just dont think he has it.

Aug 15, 2015
I'm with a couple of other posters on here who support the idea of him having potential. Might seem odd but I think he could develop being the right sided forward in a front three. He was causing havoc there against Newport and similarly against Wycombe. Either that or in a front two, however I don't think he's smart enough to play a lone striker at this level. Strikes me as an unintelligent footballer. Someone who would blaze over when a teammate has an open goal or a striker who will push a defender down and commit a needless foul. Think he could be good running at defenders out wide and could develop with having more time on the ball to think and improve upon his decision making.

Extremely raw and I think his career as a professional (or not) will come down to this situation of being able to adapt his game efficiently enough. If he's not able to hone his game, decision making and improve his more technical aspects, I think he could well end up in non-league. However, if he gets it right he could be an animal. The jury is out for me - can't tell currently.