Fletcher too good for SWPL, is he good enough for Div 1 | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher too good for SWPL, is he good enough for Div 1

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
The swpl is how many leagues below league one? I watch the toolstation league each week and can tell you that other than a handful of teams he would seriously struggle every week in that league so to go however many leagues up and playing every week against professionals is a ridiculous suggestion.

Feb 8, 2005
No, Fletcher is not good enough for Div 1, but the point is that he could develop into one.

Aug 13, 2011
If he has any idea where the goal is DA should play him. We don't have goals in the team as it is so there's nothing to lose, everything to gain.. Play him in the hole off Ciftci who needs someone sprightly to take the load off him. Far too isolated. Ciftci is already showing he has a football brain but needs infinitely more help to be effective !!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Green90":1ag2apf6 said:
MarkMatthews":1ag2apf6 said:
Presto":1ag2apf6 said:
Short answer to original question is NO.
So let's move on.

And do you think Blissett and the foreign lad are?

Any need for the xenophobia?

Moron

Jul 6, 2011
Tugboat":zs0hci6r said:
Green90":zs0hci6r said:
MarkMatthews":zs0hci6r said:
Presto":zs0hci6r said:
Short answer to original question is NO.
So let's move on.

And do you think Blissett and the foreign lad are?

Any need for the xenophobia?

Agree, some people need to grow up and get away from this lefty garbage.

I do wonder if some folk on this thread have actually seen Fletcher play? Some supporters devalue his goals against chelsea u-21s, but forget the million pound price tags on those chelsea players.
Do I think he's ready? Well, I don't think he can do any worse than the current crop, but needs to play in a 2 or it's a wasted exercise. Forget Ciftci and play Blisset alongside Fletcher, Mr Ciftci is starting to look a little like Mr Goodwillie and how many did he score?

Jun 26, 2006
Age. ability and experience are always the difficult factors any manager has to consider before putting a player in the first team. He clearly has ability and his age shouldn't be a problem as long as he is looked after by Derek Adams and the coaching staff. You can't get experience unless you play. His display in the Chelsea game was very mature, so unless it's a tactical decision he could slot into the first team any time.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
It's a really tough one for me.

I don't think Ciftci is quite as bad as people are saying myself. He's not made a good start but he's certainly had flashes- the first quarter of an hour of the second half against Milton Keynes for example, he was sublime. He's shown some very good close control of the ball that's gone unnoticed and the odd nice flick-on. It's all hampered by one problem however- he simply isn't remotely close to fit. He rarely leaves a ten yard radius of where he's standing and when he does, he visibly tires himself out by doing so. He certainly has the ability to play at this level but he seems to have the body of a retiree. I'm not one of those people who claims that anyone who doesn't charge around like a bull is useless- far from it. I was always a big fan of Reid who was hardly a perennial presser- but Ciftci seems to be the most immobile and unfit centre-forward that I've seen play for us. And I've seen Rhys Griffiths.

Blissett is the opposite. He bounds about like a terrier, too much so if anything. Yet his close control of the ball is very poor, he can trap it further than he can kick it at times. Also, for all his movement is persistent and enthusiastic, I'm not sure it's particularly clever. You don't often see him make a blinding run into space in the manner of great poachers, do you?

Fletcher isn't yet ready to start. He's weak (as you'd expect from a youngster) and he drifts in and out of games (as you'd also expect from a youngster). It sounded like we did worse when he came on at Bury. However, he was absolutely superb when he came on against Milton Keynes, doing pretty much everything right. Against Blackpool he wasn't so good but he still had two fantastic moments that I'm not sure how many of our players would be capable of. He played a superb ball in right onto the head of Songo'o after the indirect free-kick was blocked. He also under pressure showed a fantastic first touch, deft turn and good pass right to the feet of Jervis who was in a good position to score yet blazed the ball over the bar. There are dangers in burning him out, certainly but he absolutely has something to offer. He isn't 'the messiah' but he's a good option for us at the moment, certainly from the bench.

Ciftci can control the ball, but can't run. Blissett can run, but can't control the ball. Fletcher can possibly do both, but he's also weak and inexperienced. Ryan Taylor can't get fit soon enough- we were more dependent on him than we liked to realise.

I think at the moment, Fletcher may be the least worst option to start regularly. Is he ready for division one, as the thread title asks? I think not. But I think he might just be more ready than Ciftci, or Blissett.

I'd start him against Doncaster.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Don't say in 100 words what you can say in 1,000 eh Sam?

Feb 17, 2017
I think today showed if he is good enough for league one. The expression men against boys is perfect in this instance.

Feb 28, 2016
Neilz5419":3s9suj5j said:
I think today showed if he is good enough for league one. The expression men against boys is perfect in this instance.

But yet any player not from our set up is given half a dozen games or so at the least, by the score in David Goodwillies case and the fans still support them. It wasn't a vintage Fletcher performance if you want me to go into it, but it was a poor team performance so why the 18 year old on full debut(sponsors MOTM) should be singled out is beyond me.

No one looked good enough for the third division today!

Feb 17, 2017
MarkMatthews":35d1gyfs said:
Neilz5419":35d1gyfs said:

But yet any player not from our set up is given half a dozen games or so at the least, by the score in David Goodwillies case and the fans still support them. It wasn't a vintage Fletcher performance if you want me to go into it, but it was a poor team performance so why the 18 year old on full debut(sponsors MOTM) should be singled out is beyond me.

No one looked good enough for the third division today!

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights, running around after the ball, not once did he win a header or flick on to a green shirt, couldn't hold the ball up, has alot of energy but nothing else. Yes it was a poor team performance but it was crying out for a presence up front not a first year professional. Not fletchers fault he's doing his best.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Sorry, he looked a bit lightweight today although did suffer from poor service. The game was crying out for Blissett.

L

Les Latcham

Well Adam's is right about him needing to go out on loan to national league level club to develop his game, I think today showed he is not ready for league 1.