Derek Adams is fantastic | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams is fantastic

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Derek Adams has been in charge of Argyle for almost two full seasons - 85 league matches in total so afr. After 67 (79%) of those fixtures Argyle have been in an automatic promotion position (this season it is 34/39 = 87%) and we have only been outside the play-off positions after 5 matches (6%). Almost half of the matches when we have been left outside the automatic promotion positions were in the first five games of both seasons when, obviously, the league table doesn't mean much. This is a pretty sensational record especially as 1) he was appointed quite late in summer 2015 and 2) he pretty much completely rebuilt the team in summer 2016. By the end of this season I think his team will have been in an automatic promotion position for over 80% of two seasons...

Apr 12, 2016
Find it hard to believe sometimes the stick DA gets. Appreciate the football is not always Barca type stuff but this is L2 and it's not exactly known for silky football. One other point to note is that historically the club that loses the L2 play-off final has usually finished well down the league the following year and we have bucked that trend.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Koala Green":36244wbk said:
I agree that Adams thrives best in these sit back and counter attack type games. To not concede at Liverpool, end Doncaster's 1 year home run and also get so many away wins is a fantastic accomplishment in the season.

Personally I think he is adopting these tactics as this is what he can get out of players at this level and also many teams are strong and direct. Doncaster certainly looked sharp, fast and skilful yesterday, but I think the majority of their players are L1 quality, and they are the exception to the rule. I expect Adams will finesse our tactics as we go up the leagues!

Your last sentence I will reserve judgement on.

Jan 27, 2012
It always seems as though Argyle are lucky to win matches- like at Doncaster when the defending was desperate.

But it happens so many times that it cant really be a fluke.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
ghost of hughie reed":2mfyuyyd said:
Koala Green":2mfyuyyd said:
I agree that Adams thrives best in these sit back and counter attack type games. To not concede at Liverpool, end Doncaster's 1 year home run and also get so many away wins is a fantastic accomplishment in the season.

Personally I think he is adopting these tactics as this is what he can get out of players at this level and also many teams are strong and direct. Doncaster certainly looked sharp, fast and skilful yesterday, but I think the majority of their players are L1 quality, and they are the exception to the rule. I expect Adams will finesse our tactics as we go up the leagues!

Your last sentence I will reserve judgement on.

Hard to finesse, the tactics will be.

May 8, 2011
Emeraldinho":20ihc15u said:
I just hope he signs an extended contract - he's surely on a few clubs' radar now.

As he signed a 4 year contract back in August, how much longer would you like him to sign for?

Mar 23, 2008
He's done well, to rebuild a team and hopefully achieve promotion is superb. Much like Luggy he took a season to asses the league and decided upon a tight knit squad of hard working players who are disciplined and play shape with a threat from set pieces.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Derek Adams has used the resources available to him to develop a team that will almost certainly get us out of the 4th division and into the 3rd division. Included in that team are players like Graham Carey, Sonny Bradley, David Fox and Luke McCormick, among others, who are capable of playing at the next level. Hopefully, they will still be with us next season.

There have been constant suggestions from opposing managers and our own supporters that we have been 'lucky'. Well, that 'luck' only needs to hold out for a few more games and we can all celebrate.

DA will know what he needs to compete at the next level and I believe that, in the same way that he developed a squad to achieve his objectives for this season, he will already know what he needs to compete at the next level. He deserves our respect and trust and not persistent criticism for the methods he has used to earn us promotion.

I would suggest that there are at least 20 club chairmen/owners in the EFL who envy the fact that we have Derek Adams as our manager.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The 20 L2 clubs not getting promoted you mean - Even the trumpkin at Mansfield would concede that one. Though Lincoln might'd stick with whom they have.

Is it a given all the promoted managers'll know what it takes to progress in L1. Nah. And with a stronger squad at his disposal, seemingly better knowledge of plucking a few more gems from north of the border, at the beginning of Luggy's second(!) season in the third tier Argyle were 20-1, that wasn't a fancied pony was it.

L2 achievements might reach the L1 radar but I don't suppose it goes much beyond that unless a real standout like say Wilder.

A

acorn

I think he has been awful as have the team, no fight, no plan and no skill. This maybe because I can only get to Tuesday games so for the last three years its been like watch a team fighting relegation. (I am joking) I able to get to the Newport game on bank holiday Monday. Please Argyle can I see a win.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The Doctor":oeeqbkeo said:
This is a pretty sensational record especially as 1) he was appointed quite late in summer 2015 and 2) he pretty much completely rebuilt the team in summer 2016. By the end of this season I think his team will have been in an automatic promotion position for over 80% of two seasons...
11th June is not late in summer.

May 16, 2016
Argy1e":lg3qj33z said:
The Doctor":lg3qj33z said:
This is a pretty sensational record especially as 1) he was appointed quite late in summer 2015 and 2) he pretty much completely rebuilt the team in summer 2016. By the end of this season I think his team will have been in an automatic promotion position for over 80% of two seasons...
11th June is not late in summer.

It is in terms of preparing a Football Club for the coming season. Especially one that had been left unorganised by his predecessor. Puts his achievements considering the finale of the season
into perspective against the other Clubs that had no upheaval.