Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged)

Feb 28, 2016
Sidelines, you seem a pretty reliable source of information! Any guide on times tomorrow? As to Brian's point, agree and I would add any of them *Could* come back and bite us! All oozing with class and quality!

Sep 11, 2016
MarkMatthews":2oc0z4o2 said:
Sidelines, you seem a pretty reliable source of information! Any guide on times tomorrow? As to Brian's point, agree and I would add any of them *Could* come back and bite us! All oozing with class and quality!
i have heard its at 3pm onwards ,, :?

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
The article on the web site alluded to 1 or 2 being given contracts.

Feb 28, 2016
Northernlightgreen":3h6kelvh said:
The article on the web site alluded to 1 or 2 being given contracts.

Full pro and then possibly some development-Pros in addition. I would be surprised if there were no development deals made.

Feb 28, 2016
DartingtonPilgrim":3jfiz0ba said:
Mark , your support for the young lads is commendable , however must you use every post to make digs at the management , i would guess that your judgement , support , respect and backing matters very little to the people who make decisions on these lads future , if these boys are good enough , which i genuinely hope some of them are , then i believe they will be offered a deal , either full time or development .
Your continued digs at the management just come across as bitterness .

From as yet unconfirmed reports, I support, back and respect most of the decisions management have made this year, which looks to be the best the academy have contributed to first team squad since 2014. I'm of course disappointed and saddened on an individual level for some but on the whole pretty pleased. I feared it could have been a lot worse.

Just waiting for official confirmation now but as I pointed out reserving judgement was in no way intended as a dig at management.

Aug 5, 2005
From the Argyle twitter feed

Defenders Jordan Bentley and Callum Rose, along with striker Alex Fletcher, have all been told that they will be part of Derek Adams’ first-team squad next season, should they choose to sign the deals offered.

Development deals, which are designed as a stepping stone between Academy football and professional life, have been offered to forward Alex Battle and midfielders Dan Rooney and Aaron Taylor

Of the remaining three second years, Sam Ryan, who has completed his two-year apprenticeship, has been given a six-month extension to make up for time lost with a serious ankle injury. Josh Richards and Connor McAuley will be leaving the club. Our very best wishes go to them

Read more at http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... G2gxvr7.99

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Good news about Fletcher, Rose and Bentley. Slightly disappointed about Battle only getting a development deal.

Not surprised about Dan Rooney's offer and not seen Aaron Taylor. Also, from what I've read, pleased that Sam Ryan has got an extension. I hope that they all accept their offers and grasp the chance to be regarded as 'one (or more) of our own' in the next 18 months.

Good luck to Richards and McAuley!!

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":mbzeovut said:
DartingtonPilgrim":mbzeovut said:
Mark , your support for the young lads is commendable , however must you use every post to make digs at the management , i would guess that your judgement , support , respect and backing matters very little to the people who make decisions on these lads future , if these boys are good enough , which i genuinely hope some of them are , then i believe they will be offered a deal , either full time or development .
Your continued digs at the management just come across as bitterness .

From as yet unconfirmed reports, I support, back and respect most of the decisions management have made this year, which looks to be the best the academy have contributed to first team squad since 2014. I'm of course disappointed and saddened on an individual level for some but on the whole pretty pleased. I feared it could have been a lot worse.

Just waiting for official confirmation now but as I pointed out reserving judgement was in no way intended as a dig at management.

Good for you Mark , although I still don't feel that the club will be too concerned as to whether they have your backing or not as I believe they will be too busy doing what is right for Argyle .
With regards to those lads offered contracts , congratulations.

Dec 2, 2005
London
briangreen":3pieym8g said:
I think if they let Rooney, Battle and Fletcher go that will be a decision that will come back and bite them.

Genuine question on this note: When was the last time we released a player that had come through our youth system that ended up making it at the level they were released at?

Edit: I'd suggest Sean Morrison but not sure if we released him...

Feb 28, 2016
Damien McCrory (now Burton) and Ryan Leonard(now at Southend) are the two that spring to mind both released in 2010 IIRC

Not that he "really" made it at an higher level but after being released when we were Championship level, Ben Tozer did impress enough at Swindon, for Kevin Keegan to sign him to Newcastle in the prem.

Dec 2, 2005
London
MarkMatthews":336xkup9 said:
Damien McCrory (now Burton) and Ryan Leonard(now at Southend) are the two that spring to mind both released in 2010 IIRC

Not that he "really" made it at an higher level but after being released when we were Championship level, Ben Tozer did impress enough at Swindon, for Kevin Keegan to sign him to Newcastle in the prem.

Yeah, fair. Given how the subsequent few seasons went leaving was probably the best thing for their careers!

Happy to bow to anyone more knowledgeable but wiki suggests Tozer was persuaded away rather than we outright thought he wasn't going to make it.

Jun 22, 2015
http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/arti ... 95540.aspx

Happy we've offered 3 pro(per) contracts, shows a bit of ambition for the youth, after last years no pro contracts.

Exeter have signed 5, and one other player has signed for Bristol Rovers.

My question in a previous post was where would you send your son? To a club that seem to be developing and offering more opportunity, or a club close to your home and heart?

Markmatthews.....can the pro development players walk away for free, and trial elsewhere, or do the club tie them up, so they are stuck where they are?

Last question, would the pro development players be better off joining a Tiverton or Taunton...oe even Torquay, playing at a standard better than the South West Peninsular, earning a football wage, and getting a career/job before its too late?
:scarf: