British Pathe footage of Argyle | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

British Pathe footage of Argyle

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Woodgreener":1486yv8q said:
Biggs":1486yv8q said:
One more, Spurs beating Argyle 5-1 in 1962.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/spurs ... y/plymouth

'Tottenham Hotspur were not getting a walkover at Home Park. On that ground, Plymouth Argyle take a lot of beating'

Not sure about that, as we lost 5-1! :mad:

The Spurs' goals generated loud celebrations. Was there a big away following, lots of "plastic Cockerels" or did home fans sportingly applaud every goal in those days?
There was a large Spurs following but you are right, people did applaud good play by the opposition. The other thing to think about is that there were 40,040 there. Two months earlier, in a home match v Charlton the crowd had slipped to under 9000. The next home game after the Spurs match drew about 12000, so there were between 28000 and 31000 who were only there because it was Spurs. You have to remember that with little televised football, the only real chance to see these great players was to buy a ticket.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pettgreen":36ey08mb said:
I wonder if all those fans that turned up for the Spurs game were classed as "day trippers" or "part time fans"?

:stir:
Both. The biggest losers were the faithful fans from deepest Cornwall and north Devon, the kind of people that could not afford a season ticket but went to every home game played on a Saturday. Saturday mornings were part of the working week then. Halfway through the fortnight leading up to the game Argyle withdrew the facility for postal applications and said that the remaining 25000 tickets would be sold at entry to the turnstiles for the Mansfield reserve game on the previous Saturday. Imagine some poor soul in Bideford or anywhere west of Bodmin who had to work on a Saturday morning. With the turnstiles opening at 1230 they had no chance and the tickets were gone by 2pm. It caused deep upset and some very devoted supporters never ventured into HP again. I have already written the full story as part of a book covering life at HP from 1959-62. Hopefully it will be out for Christmas but I have been saying that since 2012!! The story will include the identification of the 40 in the crowd of 40,040!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
memory man":mrop4etg said:
Pettgreen":mrop4etg said:
I wonder if all those fans that turned up for the Spurs game were classed as "day trippers" or "part time fans"?

:stir:
Both. The biggest losers were the faithful fans from deepest Cornwall and north Devon, the kind of people that could not afford a season ticket but went to every home game played on a Saturday. Saturday mornings were part of the working week then. Halfway through the fortnight leading up to the game Argyle withdrew the facility for postal applications and said that the remaining 25000 tickets would be sold at entry to the turnstiles for the Mansfield reserve game on the previous Saturday. Imagine some poor soul in Bideford or anywhere west of Bodmin who had to work on a Saturday morning. With the turnstiles opening at 1230 they had no chance and the tickets were gone by 2pm. It caused deep upset and some very devoted supporters never ventured into HP again. I have already written the full story as part of a book covering life at HP from 1959-62. Hopefully it will be out for Christmas but I have been saying that since 2012!! The story will include the identification of the 40 in the crowd of 40,040!

I'm not going to comment :shh: