British Pathe footage of Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

British Pathe footage of Argyle

Aug 2, 2011
Great memories, I was there for the game standing in the front of the area that is now the Lundhurst bang against the railings separating the ground from the fans. My recollection of the game is that we were well and truly stuffed. Cannot be certain of our team but suspect it had Johnny Newman, Williams amd Carter in it and possibly Robertson.

Those were the days when the Erald published a special football edition Sat nights after the games - came out around 7.00pm.

Feb 18, 2016
Yes I enjoyed watching that, there's some very interesting footage of Plymouth in general too for those interested.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Presto":sbfrmddk said:
Those were the days when the Erald published a special football edition Sat nights after the games - came out around 7.00pm.

"The Football Herald" was printed on pink paper I think. In the early 60's it came to Delabole by train by about 7pm and was on sale in the local pub. I used to cycle the mile or so from home to get mine and had to knock on the back door of the pub to buy it as I was too young to go in. As well as Argyle it had reports of loads of local league games as well, usually only up to half-time as the full time reports were received too late to be included.

Aug 2, 2011
Excellent reports they were in the football erald. Always occupied a couple of pages plus the odd photo. I do not remember when it stopped publishing. In those days 15 and 20 thousand crowds were not unusual. If only we could get back to Championship or even better we could once again get that level of support again.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Presto":3u2ljxi2 said:
Great memories, I was there for the game standing in the front of the area that is now the Lundhurst bang against the railings separating the ground from the fans. My recollection of the game is that we were well and truly stuffed. Cannot be certain of our team but suspect it had Johnny Newman, Williams amd Carter in it and possibly Robertson.

Our line-up was Maclaren; Robertson, Fulton; Williams, Fincham, Newman; Anderson, Carter, Kirby, McAnearney and Maloy. I still have a copy of that night's Football Herald. It is on white paper (well, quite yellow now). I also have all the Heralds for the two days leading up to the game. The score does make it look as if we were "well and truly stuffed". However, we put up a very good show and failed to take our first half chances. As John Newman told me only three weeks ago; "They were something else that Spurs team. Every time we seemed to be getting a grip they just found another gear. They had class all over the pitch and move the ball around with incredible speed. We left all we had on the pitch but even 100% effort wasn't enough against that lot."

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for the team sheet. That was a really good side. Kirby was a real beast up front and Wilf Carter a brilliant scoring machine. Only player I always had a few doubts about was Ken Maloy. Strange how one can recall a team from so many many years ago when I still struggle to recall who was playing half a dozen years ago!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pettgreen":3tsavjro said:
Quintrell_Green":3tsavjro said:
Biggs":3tsavjro said:
People may have already seen this, but just caught this Pathe footage of the 1935 team featured in the Herald.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/famous-football-teams-in-training-no-4-plymouth

My favourite bit has to be 'in goal is Harry Cann, and believe us, he Cann...stop any ball from any angle'

Just brilliant.

Harry Cann. Tintagel's Greatest Son!

Or King Arthur..... :think:

I do not think King Arthur was born there. There is a subtle difference. Harry went to the local school, Arthur did not.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
kernow19":3ajuxf45 said:
Presto":3ajuxf45 said:

"The Football Herald" was printed on pink paper I think. In the early 60's it came to Delabole by train by about 7pm and was on sale in the local pub. I used to cycle the mile or so from home to get mine and had to knock on the back door of the pub to buy it as I was too young to go in. As well as Argyle it had reports of loads of local league games as well, usually only up to half-time as the full time reports were received too late to be included.
Happy days waiting at our local Newsagents for the Football Herald to arrive at 6.30-ish.

As you say, lots of local football news as well as Argyle match reports, although I think it was printed on white paper.

Far better however to have been waiting for the train to arrive in North Cornwall on route to Padstow.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Quintrell_Green":2o1vfrcj said:
Pettgreen":2o1vfrcj said:
Quintrell_Green":2o1vfrcj said:
Biggs":2o1vfrcj said:
People may have already seen this, but just caught this Pathe footage of the 1935 team featured in the Herald.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/famous-football-teams-in-training-no-4-plymouth

My favourite bit has to be 'in goal is Harry Cann, and believe us, he Cann...stop any ball from any angle'

Just brilliant.

I do not think King Arthur was born there. There is a subtle difference. Harry went to the local school, Arthur did not.

Arthur didn't live there but was a frequent visitor .. he came a lot. :coat:

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Pogleswoody":13urjig2 said:
Quintrell_Green":13urjig2 said:
Pettgreen":13urjig2 said:
Quintrell_Green":13urjig2 said:
Biggs":13urjig2 said:

Just brilliant.

He was conceived there. Removed by Site Admin, this is a child friendly site after all.

Dec 29, 2015
Biggs":1o47zdgt said:
One more, Spurs beating Argyle 5-1 in 1962.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/spurs ... y/plymouth

'Tottenham Hotspur were not getting a walkover at Home Park. On that ground, Plymouth Argyle take a lot of beating'

Not sure about that, as we lost 5-1! :mad:

The Spurs' goals generated loud celebrations. Was there a big away following, lots of "plastic Cockerels" or did home fans sportingly applaud every goal in those days?

Dec 29, 2015
Ham Green":2fhirip3 said:
Pretty sure the crowd noises would have been over-dubbed.
Very likely but there seem to be plenty of rattles being swung and scarves being twirled each time Spurs score. I have a vague recollection that it used to be considered sporting to show appreciation for every goal, no matter which team scored.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Pettgreen":1ny0w5v4 said:
Pogleswoody":1ny0w5v4 said:
Quintrell_Green":1ny0w5v4 said:
Pettgreen":1ny0w5v4 said:
Quintrell_Green":1ny0w5v4 said:
Biggs":1ny0w5v4 said:

Just brilliant.

He was conceived there. Removed by Site Admin, this is a child friendly site after all.

Yikes! Sorry. :oops: