Rotherham match day thread | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rotherham match day thread

Nov 28, 2017
Should’ve won today. Would’ve taken a point pre match. Just typical Plymouth can’t even beat 10 men getting embarrassing now. Rotherham are actially crap and we need to beat these teams to stay up

Jul 18, 2011
Greenarmy11":3njmkcb4 said:
Should’ve won today. Would’ve taken a point pre match. Just typical Plymouth can’t even beat 10 men getting embarrassing now. Rotherham are actially crap and we need to beat these teams to stay up

They are 9 points ahead of us and have scored 36 goals so I wouldn’t describe them as “crap”.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
6 of our next 8 games are against teams in the bottom half... followed by a difficult February when we play 3 of the top 4 and Oxford. We need to be well out of the relegation zone by then because the last 3 months of the season will be tough.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Abbotts Ann Green":yw2c3jl2 said:
Greenarmy11":yw2c3jl2 said:

They are 9 points ahead of us and have scored 36 goals so I wouldn’t describe them as “crap”.

Also, it’s ‘Argyle’ :thumbup:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Songo'o has many attributes, not least being a 'winner' when he is on the pitch. my concern with him is that he is appears shorter than Edwards, Bradley and Sawyer, all of whom have slotted into the CB position this season. I think DA is aware of Songo's strengths but may be concerned as to his ability to compete against tall strikers in aerial duels from corner kicks

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
PL2 3DQ":319tplu2 said:
I don't understand why Songo'o has suddenly fallen out of favour.
He was doing a great job and on course to be in the top three for player of the season, he was either partnering Bradley at centre-back or playing as a deep midfielder but has been dropped from the starting 11 for the last two games.

In effect, his place in midfield has been taken by Carey with Fox playing deep, this happened after the return of Taylor.

Grant is scoring the occasional goal but does not produce a 90 minute performance, so Carey playing on the left instead of Grant and Songo'o into midfield might be worth trying.

I also think Songo'o and Bradley are a better centre back partnership than Edwards and Bradley.

Edwards and Bradley are too similar centre backs, Songo playing alongside either one is a better partnership.

Jul 12, 2004
Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread but the initial problem for Argyle in the lead up to the equaliser was Gary getting exposed against two players. That is where Ainsworth should have been and, whilst his corner was excellent, is a very basic flaw in his game. I suspect if Jake had remained on the pitch then he would have covered Gary better. Having said that many of our players yesterday had off days in particular Grant, Jervis and Carey. Not surprising then that we had minimal goal threat until the sending off.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Bonzo":1gq2o7mc said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread but the initial problem for Argyle in the lead up to the equaliser was Gary getting exposed against two players. That is where Ainsworth should have been and, whilst his corner was excellent, is a very basic flaw in his game. I suspect if Jake had remained on the pitch then he would have covered Gary better. Having said that many of our players yesterday had off days in particular Grant, Jervis and Carey. Not surprising then that we had minimal goal threat until the sending off.
This is a big thing for me - Wylde and Ainsworth may look exciting off the bench occasionally but modern wide men have to be able to defend as well. That's why Jervis is our best winger (aside from Carey) - not only is he probably the best going forward, he's by far the best defensively.

We know about Wylde's issues from 2 seasons ago - he'll have one game in five where he looks lively and offers something, before going AWOL again. Sorry but I don't want him starting in League One.

Ainsworth (as shown above) may not be that disciplined defensively either.

To be honest, as someone suggested a few weeks back, with Threlkeld now fit I think I'd drop Grant for Songo'o, drop either Sawyer or ATS for Threlkeld (happy with either at LWB) and go 3-5-2 with Jervis up front. Would suit us the best I think.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Surely the need for such defensive cover for our fullbacks highlights the weakness of the LB/RB areas?

I understand the need to cover them when certain play dictates but to have, effectively a winger/wide man playing subconsciously as a wingback stifles our attacking play from the offset.

The same goes having Songo’o playing just in front the back 4. It’s a man taken from another area to cover defensive frailties

Apr 29, 2016
Tugboat":1wig01bl said:
Surely the need for such defensive cover for our fullbacks highlights the weakness of the LB/RB areas?

I understand the need to cover them when certain play dictates but to have, effectively a winger/wide man playing subconsciously as a wingback stifles our attacking play from the offset.

The same goes having Songo’o playing just in front the back 4. It’s a man taken from another area to cover defensive frailties

Don’t really understand the Songo comment he’s either a defender or naturally a defensive midfielder who tend to play somewhere in front of the back four. Deeper obviously if you’re defending.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
philmeboots":o0rerfl6 said:
Tugboat":o0rerfl6 said:

Don’t really understand the Songo comment he’s either a defender or naturally a defensive midfielder who tend to play somewhere in front of the back four. Deeper obviously if you’re defending.

His best position is playing just in front of the back 4 offering extra protection but having him do that effectively makes us less efficient in the final 3rd where another midfielder may have been helping the ball get further up the pitch.

It’s more like having 3 CB’s rather than 2 CB’s and a CDM.

I’d still like to see see Oscar play that role. Defensive minded but also able to start off an attacking movement from deep.

Songo’o rarely thinks offensive which to be fair isn’t his doing. We need a player in that position that can switch defence to offence from deep. A bit like Fox can do but better.

Aug 22, 2006
The problem is we need wins not draws. Palace had been rock bottom not long ago. They actually went on a fairly decent run which consisted mainly of draws. Whilst it's tight down there if they hadn't won their last 2 they'd be 2nd from bottom. But two wins has lifted them out of the drop zone to 14th. Whilst you can go on about Rotherham being a fairly good side, well surely that's the case with most of these teams in this division? That's not how you get out of a relegation scrap, that's not the mentality we need otherwise we'd run out of "winnable games" against the so called lesser sides and we'd be relegated! To get out of a scrap when you've been playing catch up all season you need to produce some so called "shock" results. Rotherham are ok, but they're very very beatable. If you are 1-0 up deep into stoppage time and concede then you are going to be thoroughly disappointed. Against any team. Against 10 men? Well that adds to the disappointment. Hugely. Hopefully by the end of the season we see this game as a point gained having survived. BUT we still need to beat some of the so called big teams if this were to happen.