Your Argyle 'career' | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Argyle 'career'

Dec 3, 2005
Argyle v Norwich City ended 2 - 2, I was a 10 year old standing in the Barn Park end with my Dad.

I was enthralled by it all, watching Argyle in their white kit with the green band around the chest against a Norwich side in their yellow and the crowds of people, never been in such a crowd before then.
The steps when leaving were very scary, being squashed by these big men and looking at the sign - 10 steps start here!
I think there were about 3 lots to negotiate.

After that I used to go to most games with my Dad, you used to be able to walk around the ground then, and depending which way Argyle were playing. My Uncle used to have a front row seat up in the Grandstand and many times at half-time - he would gesture to me to go up there and sit next to him, which was amazing. Then trying to find my Dad after the game.

I was a regular until I joined the RAF in 1978 and only went when I was home.

I took my Dad to his final game against Torquay, when the 'horseshoe' was partly opened, we were in the back row of the Demport End - he found it a struggle to get up the steps.

After leaving the RAF in 1997, I returned to Devon and became a Season Ticket holder and took my eldest daughter for 7 seasons and then my youngest for about the same amount of time - both as Season ticket holders.

Then for the last few years i have continued with my ST and gone on my own, sitting up in the Grandstand.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oddball":13j33unc said:
I first went to the last home match in 1962 when Argyle lost 3-2 to the mighty Liverpool.....last time we ever played in the same league...we were a very good division 2 team in those days.........MM. He used to like being called Barrie Jones ....and Malcolm Allison then wanted to sign Francis Lee from Bolton who was available for £25K from Bolton to complete his squad.......but the Argyle board said No...so Manchester City signed him instead...and the rest is history...and that comes from Duncan Neale...
many thanks for correcting me about Barrie Jones. I'm glad you knew who I meant.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I’ll have to look up the year but must be around 87, my Geordie uncle took me to watch us play Newcastle. I always remember the away end being packed, but before the game one of the Mayflower kids teams were playing outside the mayflower centre. Because they wore red and white stripes the geordies were supporting the other team & I can remember a pitch invasion when they scored. :lol:

Was definitely brainwashed into being an argyle fan by my dad. He’s a Southway boy but moved to Sussex after Marjons to take up a teaching job so I was born and raised there but my first player autograph was Tommy Tynan which was on the inside of my wardrobe door for my entire childhood.

First game was Shrewsbury at home in 95 for a 1-0 win. Made a few games over the years (usually around family visits in the south west) including Wembley vs Darlington (missed the goal as was in the loo, dad still hasn’t forgiven me) and the friendly against Chelsea where Gullit and Hughes debuted.

I fell out of love with football in the early/mid 00s but when Argyle’s financial troubles started I knew I had to do something so started up the Fans Reunited movement on the Brighton forum (thought that would be a good place to start considering what we did for them). I’ve been back in love with football more generally and Argyle ever since.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think first game was about 1994... it was certainly Peter Shilton as I recall my grandad saying I could meet him if I went to the ground early with him, as he worked on the turnstiles. But the only other thing I can remember about it, is getting a cup of tea at the little food kiosk at the west end of the grandstand. That whole stand and turnstile/facade has always remained very special to me, and so pleased that we’ve (sort of) kept it.

My first real memory was the Wembley 1996 final, and wondering why there were so many Argyle fans and barely any Darlington in comparison. The sea of green on Wembley Way and those twin towers.

It is funny how you often remember everything but the actual football :lol:

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
I fell in love with Plymouth in 1972. Months later I paid my first visit to Home Park and fell in love with Argyle. Everything about the place was different to the norm, from the walk up to the ground from the Pennycomequick, to Umbrella Vi and proper pasties, and for the first time in my young life I felt I belonged. I went to school in Burslem and most of the classroom's looked down onto the cess pit which is Vale Park, so it's not difficult to comprehend how delighted I was to have 'discovered' a proper football club.
Ironically my first game was against Port Vale which, if memory serves was a 2-0 win. I felt no allegiance to the place of my birth whatsoever and from then on started to go home and away.
When I saw Mariner and Rafferty I could not believe that these two were Third Division players. Only a couple of years earlier I had been watching First Division football at the Victoria Ground, Stoke and nothing I ever saw there ever came close to Paul and Billy for sheer talent and ability when playing in tandem.
Many games stand out from that period. Palace in the Cup (the Furnell penalty save), Man City on a Wednesday afternoon (wasn't that because of power cuts/3 day working week?), but my favourite one was against Fulham in 75 or 6. Fulham had signed Marsh, Best and Bobby Moore who might have been washed up but were still a big draw. Argyle had a left-winger at that time, Brian Johnson, who used to get dogs abuse from a lot of people, but for the first 45 minutes of this game he was unplayable. 2-2 FT, over 20000 crowd and the two Norwich fans who tagged along with me left Home Park with a fantastic impression of 'little Argyle'.
Lots of Argyle memories over the years, good and bad, and for that I'm grateful.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wow there’s some proper old salts in here and a privilege to see.

I tip my hat to you all.

I’m a Young’un in comparison.

First game in 98’ when I lately discovered my love for football and then Argyle.

It’s definitely an addiction. Once I went to the first game that was it.

Unfortunately, in the last 7 years I haven’t been as much as I would have liked, especially away games but it’s most certainly in my blood.

As long as you get enjoyment from its then that’s my medicine. :scarf:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
memory man said:
oddball said:
I first went to the last home match in 1962 when Argyle lost 3-2 to the mighty Liverpool.....last time we ever played in the same league...we were a very good division 2 team in those days.........MM. He used to like being called Barrie Jones ....and Malcolm Allison then wanted to sign Francis Lee from Bolton who was available for £25K from Bolton to complete his squad.......but the Argyle board said No...so Manchester City signed him instead...and the rest is history...and that comes from Duncan Neale...
many thanks for correcting me about Barrie Jones. I'm glad you knew who I meant.
MM ....the reason that I pointed it out was because back in the 60's there was a player called Dudley Barry at HP whom you probably have heard of if not met....yet there is no record of him if you enter player search on GOS.....weird....

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
As an addendum to my 'spectating career'. Sometime in the early to mid 80s I played my first game for Pasalb FC. I was told that the shirts we wore were given by the Club. I think they might have been a used youth strip donated to Pasalb?

Anyway after about 20 minutes I stuck a goal in the old onion bag (theirs thankfully!). Just felt great to score a goal and look down at the crest on the shirt. So I set off on a mini pitch tour!! I swear I heard the roar of the Devonport End in Wormwood Scrubs!! :scarf:

Jan 11, 2016
My guess is that GoS does not reference Dudley Barry because he never made a first team appearance. I remember seeing him a few times for the reserves and getting his autograph.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
SG....GOS doesn't make that proviso though ......it says,it provides a data base for every Argyle player...and Dudley Barry was most certainly an Argyle player...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Al you really are the biggest misquoter of all time. :lol:

First page:-

A full PAFC history of every first-team player since 1903,

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN....have a look at the Data page where it says this is a data base for every srgyle player

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I started watching Argyle in 1956 but the first game that I remember was in January,1958 when we lost 6-1 to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. They had Simpson in goal, Stokoe and Scoular in defence and Eastham in midfield.
Despite a lot of disappointments, I caught the ‘bug’ and it has never gone away.
If there was a vaccine do get rid of it, I would refuse to take it whatever league we are in.