WrestleMania | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

WrestleMania

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I had a housemate at university who was obsessed with it. He was massively and loudly homophobic (not that unusual in those days) but seemed oddly keen on watching oiled up muscular blokes throwing each other around while wearing extremely tight-fitting underwear.

• Haha
Reactions: MickyD and Adam

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I had a housemate at university who was obsessed with it. He was massively and loudly homophobic (not that unusual in those days) but seemed oddly keen on watching oiled up muscular blokes throwing each other around while wearing extremely tight-fitting underwear.

You were putting on live shows for him?! Now that’s friendship! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: MickyD and PL2 3DQ
Back in the sixties (and maybe into the early seventies) I would watch the wrestling on World of Sport before the footy results - Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, et al. That was very obviously fixed, too. (Or was it Rugby League on WoS and wrestling on Grandstand? Long time ago.)

I absolutely cannot stand anything to do with modern American wrestling - to me it represents everything wrong with that massively farked up country all wrapped up in one gross, offensive, ugly bundle.
I used to love the little old ladies in the front row (all part of the performance of course) who would poke any of the nasties with their umbrellas if they got the chance.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Really enjoyed it.

I thought the over-hype nature was fully justifield this year because all of the bookings for the main events was brilliant.

I'm not a hard-core fan, but l do like the characters of yesteryear like Rock, Undertaker etc.....

So when they were in this one, with the Bloodline storyline l thought it was a no brainer to watch.

Some of the new characters have a chance under Triple H, who is now in control of the WWE franchise, to shine.

You can say its all 'fake' but their is a skill & athleticism to what these people do. Some of the footballers dive much worse to the floor than what the wrestlers do.

Last edited:

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Really enjoyed it.

I thought the over-hype nature was fully justifield this year because all of the bookings for the main events was brilliant.

I'm not a hard-core fan, but l do like the characters of yesteryear like Rock, Undertaker etc.....

So when they were in this one, with the Bloodline storyline l thought it was a no brainer to watch.

Some of the new characters have a chance under Triple H, who is now in control of the WWE franchise, to shine.

You can say its all 'fake' but their is a skill & athleticism to what these people do. Some of the footballers dive much worse to the floor than what the wrestlers do.

Yeah it was a good watch this year. Seems a new era of pro wrestling is upon us.

Reactions: MGM

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Summerslam ‘88

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Yeah it was a good watch this year. Seems a new era of pro wrestling is upon us.

Hope so. It's about giving the wrestlers more freedom to be creative with their storylines.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Really enjoyed it.

I can see why the people involved take umbrage with this term.

Yes, it's a "work", but if you tot up the injuries someone like Steve Austin had by the time he retired at 39, it took a lot more of a toll on his body than football appears to have taken on Thiago Silva, for example, at the same age.

The amount of money he had to leave on the table by missing almost a year in late 1999/most of 2000 would have been huge.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I can see why the people involved take umbrage with this term.

Yes, it's a "work", but if you tot up the injuries someone like Steve Austin had by the time he retired at 39, it took a lot more of a toll on his body than football appears to have taken on Thiago Silva, for example, at the same age.

The amount of money he had to leave on the table by missing almost a year in late 1999/most of 2000 would have been huge.

Yep, exactly.

Is is pre-determined? Yep.

Is it fake? No. Most of the injuries sustained are real, and in cases like you’ve mentioned above, can be career-ending.

Best way I’ve heard it described was from ‘Fighting with my Family’ - it’s not Fake, it’s Fiction.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Yep, exactly.

Is is pre-determined? Yep.

Is it fake? No. Most of the injuries sustained are real, and in cases like you’ve mentioned above, can be career-ending.

Best way I’ve heard it described was from ‘Fighting with my Family’ - it’s not Fake, it’s Fiction.
The relentlessness of it has to be tough as well, like with horseracing, there's no off season.

I never understand why the pre-determined nature of it is used as a stick to beat it. I don't think Walter White was a real person, but I enjoyed watching Breaking Bad!

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
The relentlessness of it has to be tough as well, like with horseracing, there's no off season.

I never understand why the pre-determined nature of it is used as a stick to beat it. I don't think Walter White was a real person, but I enjoyed watching Breaking Bad!

Neat analogy. Wrestling isn't my thing at all, but there's no denying the theatre of it.

And is there any great suspense when Man City play a home game against mid-table cannon fodder? That seems fairly pre-determined to me.

Reactions: Jon with no H