Worst Ever Game | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

Mar 14, 2024
21st December 1985. Reading 4 Argyle 3. Three nil up away to the league leaders who had won every game of the season so far… what could possibly go wrong? Add to that my car breaking down in Reading, getting abused by Argyle fans while walking to the repair garage and getting back to Plymouth too late to attend the Christmas party at the Academy nightclub for which we had all purchased expensive tickets. Never forgotten, but still and always a green! 🥬

Reactions: Wexford Green
Aug 13, 2009
Swindon at Home FA Cup 1st round 2010.
4-0 defeat, a truely awful performance at a time of many awful performances!

Mar 14, 2024
In 50 years of attending HP I don’t think I have ever seen a match as bad as WBA this season. I knew from there that IF had to go, and as soon as possible. One more week of him and we would have gone down.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I wonder if there is anyone out there who witnessed the record 8-1 defeat to Millwall. Even if they were say 5 at the time, they’d be 97 now but you never know.

Reactions: Tamargreen
May 22, 2006
I wonder if there is anyone out there who witnessed the record 8-1 defeat to Millwall. Even if they were say 5 at the time, they’d be 97 now but you never know.
We actually won that game.

Our record defeat is 0-9 v Stoke City in 1960. Maybe a few of those are still alive.

Speaking of Stoke City, the worst game I ever witnessed was an utterly turgid affair on Valentine's Day 2006. I think the managers agreed on a draw before the game, because I don't remember a single shot on target.

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Jun 22, 2005
Think it was Posh at home R3 of the cup, 1997. We lost one nil and the ground was so quiet you could hear the ball hit our net and roll down when they scored. Awful

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
To be honest the absolute hammerings become so bad they’re actually comical. Luton 5-1 in 2019 and York 0-4 in 2014 spring to mind.

It’s the boring, nothing happening games which are the worst. Southend away 1-0 in 2014 sticks out. First game of the season under Sheridan and quite literally nothing happened after their goal in the 5th minute. Andre Blackman started. Good grief.

Reactions: LipsonJock
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Another honking game which falls into that category was the first game of the season… the following season against Cambridge. Lost 1-0 AGAIN and I cannot remember us having a shot.

Nov 18, 2011
To be honest the absolute hammerings become so bad they’re actually comical. Luton 5-1 in 2019 and York 0-4 in 2014 spring to mind.

It’s the boring, nothing happening games which are the worst. Southend away 1-0 in 2014 sticks out. First game of the season under Sheridan and quite literally nothing happened after their goal in the 5th minute. Andre Blackman started. Good grief.
Agreed. Look at Leicester away this season, each Leicester goal seemed to make the Green Army louder!
Or we start getting the gallows humour in the stands which is certainly more memorable than a dull 1-0 loss.

Nov 18, 2011
Another honking game which falls into that category was the first game of the season… the following season against Cambridge. Lost 1-0 AGAIN and I cannot remember us having a shot.
Cambridge never seems to go well, there was the 0-0 draw last season that I only remember for being really, really cold. It was so cold the players appeared to be frozen as well.

Nov 25, 2011
Oct 1970: Wrexham 4 Argyle 0. The Argyle coach departed about 11pm on the Friday, arriving in the dump that is Wrexham at something like 5 am. Lord only knows why the coach needed to leave at that hour and arrive with everything closed in Wrexham. In those days coaches had no loo and no refreshments and smoking was permitted. I remember the vile stench of stale cigarette smoke and recycled farts on the trip. When we got to the ground, some bright spark suggested we go to what turned out to be the home fans' Kop end. We got surrounded by angry Wrexham fans and there was a suggestion pen-knives were being brandished. The police moved in and told us Argyle fans to disperse. My mates and I went to the opposite end and got drenched in the pouring rain. Argyle were dreadful and deservedly got thumped. After the match we trudged back to the cafe that had allowed us in earlier in the day. Not this time and as we waited forlorn for the coach, Wrexham fans started lining up on the other side of the road. The coach arrived just in time. There then followed another damp, smelly, dejected coach journey back to Plymouth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fergy
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Cambridge never seems to go well, there was the 0-0 draw last season that I only remember for being really, really cold. It was so cold the players appeared to be frozen as well.
Yes. I also had the misfortune of being there on a Tuesday night a couple seasons ago when we lost 2-0. Abysmal.

Aug 8, 2013
Seen a lot of shockers over the years, but my prize for the most
lackadaisical performance ever goes to a 5-0 hammering at Oxford
the week before the cup semi-final. It was almost as though they had
something else on their minds . . . .

Reactions: Mark58