Worst Cover Versions of All Time | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Cover Versions of All Time

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
As an antithesis to the best covers thread, how about the worst ones you've heard where you've thought "oh dear God, no". Like the first time you heard DJ Sammy's cover of The Boys of Summer.

For me, the worst one I've heard was (surprisingly) by David Bowie and his version of PF's See Emily Play. The verses are OK, but the chorus. Oh dear God, the chorus....

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Harsh, Quinny, harsh!

I bought Pin Ups on the day it came out, as was my wont with Bowie and a few others once upon a time, but it's so long since I listened to it that I'd pretty much forgotten that track even featured!

I can't say the chorus ever particularly bothered me - it's redolent of the "Please come away..." refrain from The Bewlay Brothers on Hunky Dory.

Now, that rather excruciating Bowie/Jagger cover and video of Dancing in the Street for Live Aid, on, the other hand...

Oh Jeez, but I was forgetting The Little Drummer Boy that Bowie did with Bing Crosby. Aaaaaaagh!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mervyn

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
Almost any cover by William Shatner, but this one is hard to beat:

Don't listen to it!

Apr 16, 2016

Don't listen to it!
When you say don't - you knew we'd just have to.
That is surely the worst thing I ever heard !

• Haha
Reactions: olive green
Oct 5, 2022
"Strawberry Fields Forever" by Candy Flip and Fine Young Cannibals cover of "Ever Fallen in Love" immediately spring to mind.

Crimes against music.

Jan 2, 2010
Any vanity cover by a celebrity with mediocre singing talent? Bruce Willis, Vic Reeves, Jimmy Nail, etc

Last edited:

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
I saw a Vic and Bob Big Night Out in Nottingham I think in 1990 and Jim Moir had a decent singing voice to be fair.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
It's not the worst cover, but a mate of mine was adamant that Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy was better than the original... I hate it!

Mar 22, 2020
Madonna. American Pie
The Cores. Dreams
Guns n roses. Knocking on heavens door
Wet Wet Wet. With a little help from my friends

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
It's not the worst cover, but a mate of mine was adamant that Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy was better than the original... I hate it!

Their cover of Eight Miles High was pretty poor too.

I worked through Brian Ferry's back catalogue some time ago, and listening to his solo albums, it's quite a thing how many were covers: I think four or five of his albums were nothing but covers (including one of just Dylan tracks which, in all fairness, wasn't bad). I do like his cover of Let's Stick Together which was probably his biggest solo hit (the one with Jerry Hall in the video).

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth

Don't listen to it!
His cover of Mr Tambourine Man was incredible... and his Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds transcendant...

Awesome.