Williamson remembers title win 20 years ago | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Williamson remembers title win 20 years ago

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
20 years ago tomorrow we won the title against QPR

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Fails to mention his garden? I expect growing conditions in Kenyan's climate is much more productive for mangos?

I am glad Bobby is apparently very happy with his lot. It is too late now to discover how that season would have eventually panned had he not been sacked. I think his appointment at the time had some endorsement from Luggy, who had moved on, regrettably. Good for Bobby.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Seems like a nice guy, Bobby. Interesting to read that he has stayed on in Kenya after retiring. Sounds like he fully committed to his roles there which is good to see.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
This confirms my impression that Williamson was a very decent man. As we have recently seen all too clearly, it is not easy to replace someone who has achieved legendary status. And in both cases the two legends had achieved promotion (in Paul Sturrock's case, virtually achieved) to the second tier, but had not stayed around to establish our position there.

Mar 30, 2024
Bobby did ok in that first season back in the second tier, lost his way though with some of the experienced signings that he mentions in the article-Brevett, West etc were way past their best and it took Pulis to come in and get rid of the dead wood. He did sign Buzz and Doumbe, two players who played a big part in the relatively successful years that followed-probably his legacy that should be remembered best.

Reactions: memory man

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bobby did ok in that first season back in the second tier, lost his way though with some of the experienced signings that he mentions in the article-Brevett, West etc were way past their best and it took Pulis to come in and get rid of the dead wood. He did sign Buzz and Doumbe, two players who played a big part in the relatively successful years that followed-probably his legacy that should be remembered best.
I enjoyed watching Keith Lasley too. I also think that Steven Milne was decent, but yet another too often injured. However, when he returned to Scotland he played on for some years and made at least 300 further appearances.

Reactions: Tamargreen
May 22, 2006
People forget that he brought Akos Buzsaky to the club. One of the most watchable players ever to don the green shirt.

I'd love to know more about the Taribo West fiasco. I can't believe nobody - the manager, the other players, the physios - failed to spot that the guy simply couldn't run. There's got to be way more to that story.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
His comments on the first season in the Championship could be pretty much be written about this season......

"I think we punched well above our weight. The wages we were paying compared to everybody else in that division, I think we were probably the lowest. So that was a season for me to settle in and see if these guys could do it at this level.
"Going into the Championship they were playing against Premier League players who had just been relegated, and quite a lot of the clubs were on parachute payments. It was a year to discover who could play at that level and who couldn't. It would have been difficult for me to move those guys after winning two championships in three years and not giving them an opportunity....... and so on..

Personally I'm not convinced the Championship is significantly harder than it was 20 years ago.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
His comments on the first season in the Championship could be pretty much be written about this season......

"I think we punched well above our weight. The wages we were paying compared to everybody else in that division, I think we were probably the lowest. So that was a season for me to settle in and see if these guys could do it at this level.
"Going into the Championship they were playing against Premier League players who had just been relegated, and quite a lot of the clubs were on parachute payments. It was a year to discover who could play at that level and who couldn't. It would have been difficult for me to move those guys after winning two championships in three years and not giving them an opportunity....... and so on..

Personally I'm not convinced the Championship is significantly harder than it was 20 years ago.
Me either. It’s all relative anyway