Wigan Go Into Administration (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wigan Go Into Administration (merged)

Yes. The clubs around London and Birmingham are rather different though, I think.

Wolves, Villa and Birmingham have a large following from outside their immediate local communities, as do most London clubs—even lower-league clubs like Orient. Although the Dons’ flight from the capital was essentially about increasing revenue, despite the smokescreen of ground redevelopment.

In the current model of football capitalism, it seems that many clubs’ prospects of rising up the pyramid increase where they have no Premier League neighbour within 30 miles. The exceptions are London, the NE and Birmingham (although Coventry have been on the edge for a while).

If the NW lower-league clubs were normal businesses, they would probably have merged by now rather than churn out an inferior and over-priced product for another decade. The argument against this has always been that football clubs are a vital focal point for their local community. However, these local communities are increasingly walking away from these clubs. Clubs could still support their local communities in the non-league structure and may actually be better at doing this at a level below League Two.

The Football League really need to start thinking quickly about how L1 and L2 can be remodelled for the future, if this grade of professional football is to survive for another 100 years. The current model is broken and it is obvious that a number of clubs won’t be here in a decade.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
That's a scandalous story.

Bishop International are still a mystery and were very nearly our new owners back in 2011. They were also registered as an offshore business.

The twitter feed link refers to the club being sold on and the subsequent owners have disappeared, if I read it correctly, presumably after the rumoured bet was placed.

Surely the efl should change their own rules and not make a 12 point deduction, so the bet can’t succeed, and to discourage others in future. Speaks volumes for the efl’s due diligence process. Also, if the club is now ownerless as the tweet suggests, what’s the club’s legal position I wonder?

Jul 14, 2008
This is quite an incredible story. There have always been bad owners but to have one that purposefully puts the club into admin in order to financially benefit form their relegation is something else. If this doesn’t cause the EFL to reform their ownership test then nothing will. I really hope Wigan stay up so that the bet is unsuccessful.

On another note to the mods, I really wish this kind of thread could stay on the main board. I know it’s not Argyle related but things like this prompt a good discussion and they tend to get lost on the football forum. The main board is being taken over by the same old suspects arguing all the time which is just depressing. I don’t think allowing the occasional non Argyle thread to stay on the main board would mean that there was too much stuff on there either, particularly at the moment when there is little to talk about.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
BBC reporting the administrators have appealed against the 12 point deduction.

Whatever the truth in the whole saga it is difficult to see how an appeal from Administrators against a deduction for going into administration can ever succeed.

I remember going to see Argyle play at Wigan in 1993 or thereabouts.
The club was an old brick built stadium and the away end was built on ciders with standing only.
I remember squeezing through the very narrow turnstiles.
Next time I really looked, they had a Premier Stadium and won the FA cup
Hope for Argyle yet!!