Why I've stopped enjoying Argyle games | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why I've stopped enjoying Argyle games

I always assumed that as you got older so the intensity of the Argyle supporting experience would lessen. But having reached 65 I find my passion for Argyle is now so strong that I just don't enjoy games unless we're 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go ( I can't remember the last time this happened). Sitting on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes is simply not fun, and this year my most enjoyable football watching has been visiting Orient, Ipswich, Exeter, Torquay and QPR where the outcome didn't matter a stuff to me.

Am I gloriously alone in feeling this way?

Apr 1, 2009
mervyn":3fjsg6lo said:
I always assumed that as you got older so the intensity of the Argyle supporting experience would lessen. But having reached 65 I find my passion for Argyle is now so strong that I just don't enjoy games unless we're 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go ( I can't remember the last time this happened). Sitting on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes is simply not fun, and this year my most enjoyable football watching has been visiting Orient, Ipswich, Exeter, Torquay and QPR where the outcome didn't matter a stuff to me.

I know what you are talking about. I was relaxed yesterday and did enjoy it. The sheer tension in many recent games has, however, meant that enjoyment has had to be sacrificed to the cause of staying up.

A

argyle dude

mervyn":3ly32d88 said:

Nope. I was almost relieved when Oxford scored yesterday as it meant you weren't waiting for it. I wasn't sure my heart could take another 90 minutes like the Bradford or Shots game! But that is what it is all about, those last minutes goals of pure elation or the sense of relief when you hang on for the points. Those final whistle moments like the Shots game are what keep you going back.My other favourite sport is baseball and sure its fun to watch the Phillies (my team) win games by 6 or 7 runs but for sheer drama and excitement you can't beat games that are balanced on a knife edge 0-0 or 1-0 where one mistake or bad pitch can swing the game.

In recent seasons with wins so few and far between and Argyle losing so many leads it was bound to become depressing and hard work knowing there was a high chance we would blow the lead but hopefully we have hit rock bottom and are now on the up and can go back to enjoying the drama of a close game knowing that, like under the two championship winning teams, we are more likely to be the one to come from behind and steal the points :scarf:

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Yeah I definitely know what you mean, these scrappy 1-0 wins have been giving me multiple heart attacks in the last few weeks. It just reiterates that we need a striker who's capable of killing a game off with ten or twenty minutes of the game remaining. Hopefully though the Morecambe and Cheltenham games SHOULD be relexing enough for us to truly enjoy them :party:

The Oxford game was different because it wasn't a must win plus I knew the scores from the other games however the Aldershot and Bradford games were unbearable, even listening to it on the radio.

Mar 23, 2008
Its been a tough few seasons for us all. The second halfs of the last few home games have been unbearable. Keep the faith brother onwards and upwards.

A

argyle dude

By far the worst had to be the Shews game where I think our goal was under a constant barrage during injury time producing several saves from Cole and hitting the woodwork? Would have been in with a good chance of winning the world fist pumping championship when the final whistle went that day! Don't think my heart beat at all during injury time.

May 22, 2006
GO HARD OR GO HOME SISSIES

I totally understand how you feel. The last 18 months have been pretty intense and the last eight weeks especially have been unbearable. I know a few Argyle fans who are in dire need of a rest.

Hopefully it will get better though.

B

bristol-green-blood

I know what you mean, as I approach 50 years of following Argyle I do find that I worry much more about the result than used to be the case. Swindon the Saturday before last was pure murder. Probaly due to the significance of a good result if it had happend. On the other hand on Tuesday night at Ashton Gate to see WHU I could just enjoy the football and watch the other BCFC and WHUFC fans struggle with their different emotions. Still would'nt give up this devotion to PAFC for anything.

O

oggyale

mervyn":1vx6vq3p said:

No,you are not alone.

I have not really enjoyed an Argyle game in the last couple of years,but that's life.

Last season and the entire administration thing was bad enough,this season was even worse until James Brent finally got control of the club and then positive things began to happen.

I will be glad to see the end of this season,take stock of events during the Summer and then welcome the 2012-2013 season with open arms.

Next season i would hope that things on the pitch start to shape-up early on,with only one direction aimed for too.

Dec 2, 2010
I couldn't get to the game yesterday as was stuck in Kent so I sat down to watch sky with my Argyle shirt and scarf on and every lucky symbol I could find! I was so tense at ht that I couldn't watch the second half. I went and lay down on the bed and watched an episode of ALan Partridge! I then put the results back on at 4.50 and sweated for a few mins whilst ours came in!

I then rang my mate who comes to games with me and he was at a local team's game and was celebrating with them in their dressing room as they had just won the league. I was singing and shouting so much he put me on loudspeaker and they all thought I was a complete nutter!

The things we do for love!
:lol:

Sep 23, 2005
Yep another 60 something struggling with each 95 mins of pure tension. Wouldn't swop it for a match where I had no emotional attachment though.
I hear wotts was sobbing at the final whistle yesterday and I admit I shed a tear too. All that pent up emotion from the rubbish we've had to take for so long now on and off the pitch and something to be really proud of again.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
When I saw the title of the thread I nearly didn't bother - expecting a whinge & possible cyber flounce from someone because we don't play like Barca. But I think we all feel like the OP don't we? It's been excruciating at times and you cannot apply the word 'enjoy' to it..........perhaps 'compulsive', 'compelling', 'intense' or 'absorbing' would be better polite words - but whatever, I never found my attention wandering during games and thinking about what I was going to have for tea - so that's something I suppose. In the end though I've loved it.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
One of my all to rare visits to HP yesterday. The way the game was shaping before half-time the second half could have been really nerve jangling at best or a clear defeat, but the players came out obviously with instructions not to sit back and soak up pressure but to go forward in a more attacking formation. That seemed to make a big difference and as a consequence things looked a lot brighter.

The passion the guys showed on the pitch was fantastic and I went away after the celebrations at the end feeling generally inspired and really glad I'd made the effort of a car and rail journey to get there.

Jul 6, 2005
Fully understand and recognise the sentiments expressed in the OP.

It's supposed to be a pleasure and even a form of relaxation watching Argyle, but the last 4 seasons have been as hard as I can ever remember going back to when I started in 1962. It has become a very stressful experience.

I don't think we will struggle again next year and it would be nice to watch a solid mid-table performance without the fear of relegation for the first time in 4 seasons, but then we will all be stressed out over the second half of the season hoping we can just sneak into the play-offs.