why is our away support so good? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

why is our away support so good?

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
It does baffle me, just how good our travelling support is. If you go onto the League Two away support thread and compare us with other league two clubs, we are easily the best, taking into account distance and our league placing.....for example, Bradford only took about 500 to Burton and Gillingham who are top, took fewer than us to Wycombe in midweek, even though the distance is less than half for them than it is for us...Bristol Rovers brought only 360 to Home Park this season for a midweek fixture, yet we took 670 up to Cheltenham last Tuesday..

When we were last at this level we used to take about 200 to most of our northern fixtures, now we can take 600 + to Rotherham, admittedly a new ground, but we also took 350 to Morecambe....

any ideas how and why the argyle away support is holding up so well in this recession, its not as if Plymouth is a wealthy area...

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
I think we have quite a few northern exiles, myself included, there is a couple in Preston that I know of for a start! But even without all the exiles it would still be one of the best up there!

Nov 6, 2011
Our away support is excellent, always has been, but i would like to know how much of that away support actually comes from Plymouth.

S

Steve_Barrie

Pilgrim has the answer. the Green Army is spread all over the country - mainly because there is little work of substabce in and around Plymouth. Many, myself included, have left the area many years ago in order to find work but we never leave our Green roots behind. Wherever Argyle are playing, there is always a good level of support living within an hour or so - and they continue to turn out. The last time Argyle played at Feethams, the Darlo guy on the gate was asking where each supporter had travelled from. By the time I got in about 2.30 he had still only met 1 from plymouth.

T

thegirlf

I go to uni in Stoke, so when its an away day my boyfriend comes up here to stay with me a few days so he can get to the football cheaply and not having to be on a coach for however long. Taking this into account see you all at Fleetwood! :thumbup:

May 19, 2010
pre admin (2010-2011) we took approx 600 to notts co (sun special off too that day 2 for £9.50 i think!), we took 350 to tranmere and oldham, with about 500 to colchester.

the admin process has galvanised support from plymouth/cornwall for example the GT coach is a regular which wasnt the case when we had a side of similar stature to this one (2000) as they didnt exist, the cornish bus used to make occasional trips but is now almost ever present.

many exiles stopped going once they realised they weren't going to be able to get tickets for the arsenal game & only return occassionally.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pilgrim":9vs894dm said:
Our away support is excellent, always has been, but i would like to know how much of that away support actually comes from Plymouth.

I guess you could gauge it by how many coach loads the official travel club take. How often is it more than four? (ie 200 fans). Not that it really matters. The away support is fantastic for this division wherever they may travel from.

Jul 25, 2011
I reckon for every exile at a northern game there is a supporter from Cornwall who'll have an extra hour or two...or three on their round trip not to mention those from even further afield. My personal record I'd booked a return flight from Sydney to catch a home game V Leeds in 2004, not that I like to talk about it tho :shh: :shh: :nworthy:

Aug 17, 2011
London
with-menace":1fo5pu04 said:
I reckon for every exile at a northern game there is a supporter from Cornwall who'll have an extra hour or two...or three on their round trip not to mention those from even further afield. My personal record I'd booked a return flight from Sydney to catch a home game V Leeds in 2004, not that I like to talk about it tho :shh: :shh: :nworthy:
From Sydney.....much respect..

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
neilbet79":1vmefhyq said:
with-menace":1vmefhyq said:

Sorry to be a pedant.

Do you mean you were in Sydney, booked a return flight to London - Sydney. Or that you were on holiday and chose to return on the day of the match.

Either is dedicated but the former is just lunatic. :scarf:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
neilbet79":wtkh14pm said:
with-menace":wtkh14pm said:

Sorry to be a pedant.

Do you mean you were in Sydney, booked a return flight to London - Sydney. Or that you were on holiday and chose to return on the day of the match.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The demand is less elastic over divisions, because it's the converted preached to, and given the smaller numbers involved compared to home crowds.

I guess the more often it's said to be so great, the greater the nomadic pilgrim seems. Pity the finance of it favours the other 23, if into that director-for-the-day mentality.

Or perhaps it's just viewed as doing your bit for Plymouth without having to visit the place.

Jul 25, 2011
Ade the green":1znsim5e said:
neilbet79":1znsim5e said:
with-menace":1znsim5e said:

Sorry to be a pedant.

I was in Sydney for a few months and cut it short for our Return to the CCC I missed the Forrest game and re booked my return for the 14th sept (I think) for our Home match V Leeds. Arrived at HP for match before I'd even gone home.
Funnily enough Leeds were very popular in Oz at the time due the Kewell and Viduka both playing for them very recently.I went into an aussie version of Smiths and they had the official Leeds utd mag on sale from England, to my surprise they had a little piece about Argyle,talk about delusions of grandeur they were asked by a reader 'I see we will play Plymouth this season, is this the first time the clubs have met? The arrogant reply went 'yes we played them in 1990 and won' as if that was the only time the 'mighty Leeds' have ever lowered themselves to play the likes of us :shock: I very nearly emailed to remind them of a match I'd been to between to two sides where Argyle happened to stuff SIX past em. Gave me great satisfaction to spend a few seasons lording it over the 'mighty whites' as they languished a division bellow us :scarf: