Why do adults get signatures off mediocre footballers? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do adults get signatures off mediocre footballers?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
There’s some strange people about.

People from Nottingham (non Argyle fans) drove down for the Waiter’s Weekend and then turned up unannounced at Mike Bickle’s and Duncan’s Neale’s house!!

It’s not normal behaviour is it? :shock:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":2as9g6we said:
There’s some strange people about.

People from Nottingham (non Argyle fans) drove down for the Waiter’s Weekend and then turned up unannounced at Mike Bickle’s and Duncan’s Neale’s house!!

It’s not normal behaviour is it? :shock:

Well this is 2019 Ian.
If Duncan and Mike want to share a house, that's fine by me.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I wouldn’t - but did as a child. I suppose back then, I saw players as a kind of superior being whereas now they’re just people with a certain talent.

That said, my Uncle left me a plentiful collection of programmes and Rothmans yearbooks when he passed. Amongst them were one or two crumpled autograph sheets that evoked fond memories of times gone by: Delve, Ramsbottom, Green, Johnson, McAuley, Sutton, Banton, Darke, Horswill et al.

I’m sure there must have been a better class of handwriting/ signature back then as well.

Jul 29, 2010
Pogleswoody":31c67d2u said:
"Why do adults get signatures off mediocre footballers?"

I can't stand these constant attacks on our Manager!! :furious:
:lol:

May 22, 2006
One of the things Dad left behind when he scurried away just after my 18th was a blue autograph book, headed with the title "Bistrol City are crap" (bless his heart).

He didn't bother writing down the names, so it was literally just a pocket book full of contextless squiggles. I like to imagine a younger version of him waiting outside HP in the pouring rain, finally getting that autograph from Bobby Scraggs or Keith Lump or Dickie Crut, or whoever else happened to walk by and look vaguely like a footballer.

I popped it in the recycle bin before the last house move. There's a small chance you have wiped your bottom on Jim Beglin's signature. Enjoy that thought.

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":y2wwrq3h said:
Perhaps, they hope that, occasionally, that mediocre footballer will become world famous.
For example, I expect that a few people got an unknown Chesterfield goalkeeper’s signature in 1958.
It turned out to be Gordon Banks.
I am sure that there are many other examples.
There really is no reason to trivialise adults who have different hobbies.

So before a long afternoon complaining that DA signs nothing but injury prone garbage that no other manager in his right mind would want, what better way than to collect signatures of said rubbish incase they turn out to be world class players one day!!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":1i0jobnb said:
davie nine":1i0jobnb said:
Perhaps, they hope that, occasionally, that mediocre footballer will become world famous.
For example, I expect that a few people got an unknown Chesterfield goalkeeper’s signature in 1958.

So before a long afternoon complaining that DA signs nothing but injury prone garbage that no other manager in his right mind would want, what better way than to collect signatures of said rubbish incase they turn out to be world class players one day!!
Who rattled your cage?
Are you suggesting that I have been criticising DA?
I don’t collect autographs but I didn’t understand why it was considered necessary to criticise those who do.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":26rxnjur said:
davie nine":26rxnjur said:

I knew you would come round to our way of thinking eventually Mr Knibbsworth, welcome to the fold. :twisted: